Diglot
Canada
Joined 4766 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 49 of 115
24 February 2012 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the radio suggestions, it's great.
I haven't done much these past few days. I've been sick and I've been depressed so basically I haven't done any
polish since at least 5 days, it's kind of a catastrophy. Hopefully things will pick up again soon.
1 person has voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4766 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 50 of 115
13 March 2012 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Well I have been nonchalant in coming here to update. I suppose not having the net at home makes it harder to
keep things up to date (or I'm just lazy!). I had a little tiny breakthrough, I think, and I just realized yesterday and
today that I can almost read certain articles on the internet in polish and generally understand what it's about. I'm
working on polish cinema and polish culture for my thesis and I was looking for articles in polish and plowed
through a bunch of those. I did use the google translator but only after I had read each article. It wasn't perfect
but I was surprised at how much I understood, even when I didn't know precisely what each word meant. I tried
reading a novel in polish but couldn't make it through one page without feeling like I was wasting my time. I
guess the level of vocabulary isn't the same, it is to be expected of course. I also got some magazines in pdf
format and was pleasantly surprised. Anyway, it's nothing extraordinary as I still can't really read and understand,
but it made me glad to see I made some progress.
I'm almost finishing the Hurra book 2, I'm at lesson 20, the last one, so I should complete the level this week,
very encouraging. How time flies...

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4766 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 51 of 115
19 March 2012 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
After almost a month of no mandarin I picked it up again around the 10th of march. I had stopped at
lesson 23 of Pimsleur I but I rewinded back to lesson 15 and surprisingly (to me) I breezed through to lesson 23,
doing two lessons a day very easily. It was rather encouraging to find out I had actually learned something... I
also picked up writing characters again, which is always so much fun and very relaxing. I also started the Chinese
Practical Reader vol. 1, that old mandarin workbook I got cheaply from a nearby shop. I don't know how far I'll get
in it but for now it's very easy which is usual for the beginning.

As for polish, I've been reviewing the Hurra books volume 2 I almost finished. I still have the last lesson to
do and then the little final test, but I wanted to review everything before I closed this chapter. I went back from
lesson one in both the text and work books and looked over any underlined words (new vocabulary). I then wrote
down on a page the words I did not remember. I'm almost done. It was frustrating sometimes to see how bad I
was at figuring out how to write some things that had been taught throughout the book, such as the many
passive forms (I can't really figure it out, when to use one form and when to use another). I have about 4 pages of
words I didn't remember (I'm now reviewing lessons 17-18 so I'm near the end). I go through each page, hiding
the translation of the word and again trying to figure out the meaning. If I can figure it out, I put a little check
mark next to the word and move on to the next one, and so on. Once I'm done with all the pages, I write all the
checked words on another page and write a text using them all (I love creative writing). I'll do a text like that
every day until all these words are used. Hopefully, it will help me remember a few of them!

So in late april it will have been one year of polish study. I was hoping to have done all three levels of Hurra by
now, but I almost got there so it's good. I'll try to do most of #3 until august.

Edited by Homogenik on 19 March 2012 at 8:57pm

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4766 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 52 of 115
20 March 2012 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
I thought I'd share the little texts I've been writing to practice my vocabulary (and, of course, generally to
practice writing!). If anyone could correct me I'd really appreciate it. Some of it might be weird because I tried
to cram some words in, but hopefully I used many of them correctly.

1. Telefon dzwonił i dzwonił, bo jej mąż był apodyktyczny i zazdrosny. Faktycznie, nie miał racji. Pewnego
dnia, kiedy Maria spacerowała po mieście, jakiś szary człowiek, skromny jak opiekun niektórej tajemnicy,
podarował jej pudełko w którym było dużo rzeczy : odtwarzaczy DVD, powieści sądowe i owoce plastyczne.
Na pewno ten ubogi mężczyzna był zwariowany i nieszkodliwy. Jego głos był dziwny, chyba z powodu
zapalenia dróg oddechowych. On był uczestnikiem w utworze nowoczesnego smutki. Ten portret był dla niej
bardzo ścisły : on nigdy nie miał szans, nigdy nie wylosował najlepszego biletu. Trochę pogadali i ona
nauczyła się, że on był przyzwyczajony do miasta i że był na ulicach od kilku lat. Pewne wydarzenie
spowodowało krysys i od tego momentu wszystko odmieniło się.
Kiedy Maria wróciła do domu, telefon ciągle dzwonił. Pierwszego razu, była przekonana, że już nie podniesie
słuchawki.

2. Tego dnia, byłem w lesie i szukałem mojej bransoletki, którą zgubiłem, ale tylko były szyszki. Jestem
upartym człowiekiem i rzadko skarżę się, więc trochę modliłem się i nadal szukałem. Nosiłem bardzo ciepły
sweter, który uszyłem sobie kilka lat temu kiedy mój zarobek był mniejszy. Ta sytuacja była naprawdę trudna
: nawet nie mogłem kupić płynu do naczynia i mój samochód rdzewiał szybko. Miałem kiepskie
samopoczucie i dużo złości w moim sercu. Bardzo chciałem zmianę życia, ale nic nie było przyjazny. Mój
mózg był pełny psychologicznego zanieczyszczenia. Czas się skracał i nie miałem żadnej potęgi, tylko
odrobinka. Prawdę mówiąc, byłem w skrzyżowaniu życia. Szukałem i szukałem dobrej pracy, ale zatrudnień
nie było. Wszyscy wydali się nieuczciwi i głuche na moje cierpienie. Pożyczyłem dużo rzecz i pieniędzy od
wiele ludzi, ale to mi nie pasowało, bo miałem zbyt dużo dumy. Moim głodem była moja pobudka. Dekoracja
mojego mieszkania była bardzo prosta : brudny proszek i stare muszle. Już widziałem mój grób wśród pustej
szerokiej przestrzeni. Jaki wzór mojej przyszłości! Nigdy nie myślałem, że zostanę takim podobnym
gatunkiem człowieka, że całowałbym ciemność, że dostałbym wyznanie miłości od mroku.
Ciągle byłem w lesie szukając bransoletki. Tymczasem, moje pomysły poleciały. Nagle zobaczyłem jakieś
światło na ziemi. Klęknąłem i spośród szyszek i liści zobaczyłem moją bransoletkę. Słońce świeciło na środku
nieba i pomyślałem o obiedzie. Ostatecznie, wróciłem do domu.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6047 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 53 of 115
20 March 2012 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Nice work bro, and a nice range of vocab.
I got the gist of what you wrote, but I'm way short of offering any corrections. It all looks logical to me but there may be word choice and word order issues.
Glad you found the bracelet in the end!
Hope you're clear of the dreaded doldrums now, keep up the good work!

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4766 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 54 of 115
21 March 2012 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks! Although I should point out this is fiction as I don't usually wear bracelets (and thus do not lose any in the
forest...)! It's just automatic writing basically, trochę nonsensical. As for the doldrums... They never go very far,
hiding behind the drapes and under the carpets. I did learn a new french word while doing the exercise :
apodictique (apodyktyczny) : I had never heard it.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5909 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 55 of 115
21 March 2012 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on completing your first Polish year! I can't say anything about your writing because I'm far behind you and the rest of the bisons in Polish learning.

Sorry about the doldrums - language study is a good way help manage that kind of thing. I wonder what the Polish equivalent of "the doldrums" might be? I'm guessing that there are several.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5508 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 56 of 115
21 March 2012 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Very impressive Homogenik, and congratulations on finishing Hurra 2 and having completed (practically) your first
year of Polish studies! It looks like you've definitely learnt a lot in that time and now have a pretty decent foundation
and understanding of the language. How exciting! Am I correct in remembering you saying that your mum was
Polish? Do you get much of an opportunity to speak with her?

Hope all is well.

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version