Diglot
Canada
Joined 4673 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 65 of 115
31 March 2012 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
I didn't know that one, thanks, pretty funny. I can't say I've seen many Czech films though!
1 person has voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4673 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 66 of 115
31 March 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
I don't know where I found the following expressions because I've been building a file from different sources, but
anyway here are a few idiomatic expressions :

azjatycki tygrys : beautiful and strong
baba-grzmot : an old woman always angry
baba-jaga : witch
baba-jędza : mean witch
babcia klozetowa : ???
babie lato : indian summer
babskie gadanie : talking, chatting
bać się jak diabeł święconej wody : to fight like a devil in sacred water
bać się jak ognia : to be very afraid
bać się o swoją skórę : to be self-centered
bać się o własną dupę : to be self-centered
bać się spojrzeć w oczy : to be shy
bać się własnego cienia : to be afraid of one's shadow
bajońskie sumy : ???
baju, baju, będziesz w raju : to be happy
balansować na krawędzi przepaści : to find balance near a pitfall
balansować na skraju przepaści : to find balance near a pitfall
barania głowa : idiot
barani łeb : idiot
bawić się czyimś kosztem : to have fun at the expense of someone
bawić się z kimś w ciuciubabkę : to play hide and seek with someone
bawić się z kimś w kotka i myszkę : to play like cat and mouse
bazyliszkowy wzrok : glaring look

RealPolish
Poland
realpolish.pl
Joined 4836 days ago

4 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Polish*
Studies: English

Message 67 of 115
02 April 2012 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Homogenik wrote:
I don't know where I found the following expressions because I've been building a file from different sources, but
anyway here are a few idiomatic expressions :

babcia klozetowa : ???
bajońskie sumy : ???

babcia klozetowa: woman who works at public WC, cleaner
bajońskie sumy: very expensive

some corrections:
bać się własnego cienia : to be afraid of one's shadow -> be very shy, timid
baju, baju, będziesz w raju : you are pulling my leg (using mostly by children)

Edited by RealPolish on 02 April 2012 at 11:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4673 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 68 of 115
05 April 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Thanks RealPolish for the correction, very appreciated.

Here are my charts of study time updated with february and march. I'm proud to say I "saved the boat", so to
speak, in march.

for november :
average polish : 95,3 min/day
average chinese : 18,5 min/day
average total : 114 min/day
total minutes : 3415

for december :
average polish : 63 min/day
average chinese : 21 min/day
average total : 84 min/day
total minutes : 2610

for january :
average polish : 58 min/day
average chinese : 12 min/day
average total : 70 min/day
total minutes : 2170

for february :
average polish : 57 min/day
average chinese : 20 min/day
average total : 77 min/day
total minutes : 2245

for march :
average polish : 100 min/day
average chinese : 30 min/day
average total : 130 min/day
total minutes : 4010

tozick
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 6211 days ago

44 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 69 of 115
05 April 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
azjatycki tygrys
bajońskie sumy
bać się spojrzeć w oczy

'azjatyckie tygrysy' is a name for South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore used mostly in journalism; it stems from their rapid economical growth in the 2nd half of the 20th century now other countries of the region are sometimes called that aswell

bać się spojrzeć w oczy has more to do with being afraid and ashamed than shy; saying that someone 'bał sie spojrzeć w oczy' implies that one had done something and because of that one was afraid of looking another person in the eyes

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4673 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 70 of 115
11 April 2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
As far as time spent is concerned, april starts off like a tygrys, so, in a way, april could end up being a prawdziwy
kanadyjski tygrys... Anyway, I'm now at lesson 5 in Hurra level 3 : lessons 1 to 4 were surprisingly easy and I went
through them very quickly, it was mostly just a question of vocabulary. I am kind of hopeless regarding the
learning of massive amounts of new vocabulary. I don't think it's worth doing all the drills that I could be doing
outside of the textbook, by myself, in order to learn all the new vocabulary to perfection. It would take hours a
day and I don't want to spend all that time reviewing when I can just go forward and still be able to develop. It's
more fun.
In lesson 4, I did have some trouble with a new grammar point : składnia liczebników, or the use of
numerals. I especially have trouble with understanding collective numerals as neither french nor English has
them. For instance:

Dwaj mężczyźni czekają w kolejce (Two men are waiting in line)
Dwóch mężczyn czeka w kolejce (Two men wait in line)

I can't understand very well the semantic difference and I couldn't find anything worthwhile on the net or in my
books about this... If anyone can contribute an explanation and some help as to when one form should be used
and when should the other.

What I like especially about the Hurra books at this point is the quality of the information regarding themes
and polish culture. Book 1 is very basic obviously, but already in book 2 things get more interesting and
thoughtful. And in book three, the subject matter becomes more abstract : the learning process, the kodeks
pracy (labor code), living abroad (and how many polish people live in other countries), economic changes in
Poland (and the various opinions polish people have about it), the political structure in Poland and the
constitution, and even how polish people view other realities like homosexuality for instance (that's especially
meaningful to me, being a gay man, that the authors added that in the book). The way the themes are addressed
is remarkable in the sense that it shows the various opinions of contemporary polish people on contemporary
issues (often related to history and the past). Since the country has been redefining itself for some years, since
89 especially of course (end of communism), such an approach is incredibly relevant and makes language
learning a more fulfilling experience because we also learn a lot about the country, practical things like what food
people eat, sure, but more importantly what matters to them, what worries them, what they look forward to, etc.
I'm certain that this should be part of any language learning experience. It's like compound exercises : with the
same movement, cumulate all the gain you can get.

Vocabulary question : what does pojemniczka means? I know it's a kind of measure, but I can't really find
what it is...

As for chinese, I've received my Basic Spoken and Basic Written Chinese books (it totals 4 books) and have
started a little (in fact, I started a bit too much because I was excited...). Turns out it seems to be a very balanced
course, a very thorough introduction with various learning activities, a ton of recordings and even videos
(although these seem secondary and not quite well done). Each lesson features just a few new vocabulary and
deconstructs everything.
Same thing with the writing part, only 6 new characters per lesson. That creates, in my opinion, a better learning
experience because you can more easily and more quickly finish a lesson and advance, thus creating a positive
feeling of accomplishment. If I had to plow through a never ending lesson featuring 25 new characters and as
many new words to learn, I would never see the end of it and might quit. So I'm glad I chose this method, at least
for now. Since I've been studying a little up until now (with Memrise and Pimsleur notably), many words and
characters are familiar so it should make things a little less brutal. We'll see... I'm still suffering through the end
of Pimsleur One, lessons 29 and 30 jabbing at my knees...

我去办一点日事!

Edited by Homogenik on 11 April 2012 at 6:19pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7005 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 71 of 115
11 April 2012 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Homogenik wrote:
[...] In lesson 4, I did have some trouble with a new grammar point : składnia liczebników, or the use of
numerals. I especially have trouble with understanding collective numerals as neither french nor English has
them. For instance:

Dwaj mężczyźni czekają w kolejce (Two men are waiting in line)
Dwóch mężczyn czeka w kolejce (Two men wait in line)

I can't understand very well the semantic difference and I couldn't find anything worthwhile on the net or in my
books about this... If anyone can contribute an explanation and some help as to when one form should be used
and when should the other.

As far as I know, these -aj/-ej numerals are used only in Polsh and Slovak in nominative. This may have something to do with the hypothesized distinction between animate and inanimate nouns in Proto-Indo-European which would have then been reinterpreted broadly with masculine beings replacing animate and everything else replacing inanimate. In Polish and Slovak this distinction is sharper with 2 to 4 masculine humans requiring different modifiers compared to nouns of the same quantity (this may be the messy result of Polish and Slovak having lost the dual as dwaj reminds me of how Sorbs use dwaj to refer to two masculine objects and the dual masculine nominative ending -aj/-ej, but I digress).

The bottom line is that it's grammatical in standard Polish (and standard Slovak) to use dwaj/trzej/czterej/obaj (dvaja/traja/štyria/obaja in Slovak) with masculine personal nouns in nominative. Masculine personal nouns in accusative take modifiers that are identical to those for masculine genitive plural.

I first encountered the concept in Slovak and later in Polish. In both instances I just did some exercises and soon got used to it.

E.g.

Dwa/trzy/cztery/oba samochody są przy drzewie. (masculine non-personal nominative plural)
Dwaj/trzej/czterej/obaj chłopcy są przy drzewie. (masculine personal nominative plural)
Dwóch/trzech/czterech/obu chłopców jest przy drzewie. (masculine personal genitive plural)**

** A colloquial alternative to dwaj/trzej/czterej/obaj is to use the genitive-accusative-locative look-alike forms dwóch/trzech/czterech/obu. If you stick to this less formal use, then the verb will be reinterpreted as singular. It may have something to do with using something commonly associated with the genitive plural (i.e. dwóch/trzech/czterech/obu) which conventionally takes verbs in singular too.

Widzę dwa/trzy/cztery/oba samochody. (masculine non-personal accusative plural)
Widzę dwóch/trzech/czterech/obu chłopców. (masculine personal accusative plural)

For reference see how it's done in Polish and Slovak. In comparison, look at p. 38 here to see how Czech lacks this feature.

Dwaj etc. aren't collective numerals per se since those refer to numerals modifying nouns referring to groups of males and females or a group/herd/flock/gaggle/etc. of young animals which are viewed as "genderless" (sexually immature?).

Homogenik wrote:
Vocabulary question : what does pojemniczka means? I know it's a kind of measure, but I can't really find what it is...

If I'm reading this correctly, pojemniczek is a small container or measuring cup (from pojemnik). Are you seeing this in a phrase such as here? ("Do wysokiego pojemniczka włóż biały ser i dodaj śmietane"). Pojemniczka here is the genitive singular of pojemniczek.

Edited by Chung on 11 April 2012 at 9:23pm

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4673 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 

Message 72 of 115
11 April 2012 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
A colloquial alternative to dwaj/trzej/czterej/obaj is to use the genitive-accusative-locative look-alike
forms dwóch/trzech/czterech/obu. If you stick to this less formal use, then the verb will be reinterpreted as
singular. It may have something to do with using something commonly associated with the genitive plural (i.e.
dwóch/trzech/czterech/obu) which conventionally takes verbs in singular too.

Thanks, I thought it might be colloquial, but still... Are both forms interchangeable? On Wikipedia it says this :

Quote:
Polish also has a series of numerals called collective numerals (liczebniki zbiorowe), namely dwoje (for 2),
troje (for 3), czworo (for 4), pięcioro (for 5), and so on. These are used with the following types of nouns:
dzieci ("children"), and words for the young of animals such as kocięta ("kittens");
pluralia tantum, i.e. nouns which lack a singular form (like drzwi "door(s)", urodziny "birthday(s)")
plural nouns referring to a group containing both sexes (for example, czworo studentów refers to a mixed-sex
group of four students).

But some examples in my book don't conform to this :

Dwóch mężczyzn czeka w kolejce.
Dwóch dyrektorów spotyka się w sprawie strajku.

We can't think that mężczyzna implies men and women, obviously... So is it just a question of style then?

As for other types of numerals, I kind of get it but it hasn't sunk in yet. I know that with one it goes:
jeden student (masc. personal)
jeden pies (masc. impers.)   
jedno dziecko (neutral)        &nb sp;    
jedna kobieta   (fem.)      ;     &n bsp;       

and with the plural :

— dwaj, trzej, czterej studenci (masc. personal)
       ... pięciu, sześciu (and higher, + genitive) studentów (masc. personal)

— dwa, trzy, cztery psy (masc. impers.)
       ... pięć, sześć (and higher, + genitive) psów (masc. impers.)

— dwoje, troje, czworo krzesła (neutral)
       ... pięć, sześć (and higher, + genitive) krzeseł (neutral)

— dwie, trzy, cztery kobiety (fem.)
       ... pięć, sześć (and higher, + genitive) kobiet (fem.)

And after collective numerals (dwoje, troje, czworo, sześcioro, siedmioro, ośmioro...), the noun is always genitive
plural.

Maybe I did some mistakes here... this is so complicated (my head exploded a little bit just now).

And as for pojemniczek, yeah, it seems to be used in przepisy, recipes. But I still don't know what kind of
measure it is. Is it the equivalent of the french tasse? It just translates to container... I won't be making those
recipes right now.

Edited by Homogenik on 11 April 2012 at 9:59pm

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version