Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5925 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 209 of 333
31 August 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
I've not used Tobira or looked at it in any depth but I think Luai Lashire has used it. I also hate the lack of browsing potential, not to mention the cost. It still stings when I think about how much I've paid for books which sounded good or were recommended by others, but didn't suit me at all. An afternoon in a Japanese book shop would have saved me from that. I think perhaps I should set up a thread for info about Japanese bookstores outside Japan.
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6563 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 210 of 333
31 August 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Here's a good one for you, g-bod. A triple negative. (-1)*(-1)*(-1) = -1

It's from near the end of HP6 when Harry is telling Ginny that he can't go out with her anymore because he has to go hunt down Voldemort.

もう会わないようにしないといけない

Translated: Not not seeing each other won't do. (Or something like that.)

In other words: We can't see each other.

Sometimes you almost have to make an equation to figure it out. This one's OK, but imagine if it had 4-5 negatives.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 31 August 2012 at 7:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5925 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 211 of 333
31 August 2012 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
I think my brain just exploded!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5925 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 212 of 333
02 September 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
I think I've rediscovered my love for (studying) Japanese. I guess I really did need a bit of a break. I'm reluctant to use the words "burn out" to described my situation, because if you're experiencing "burn out" from a hobby, which you are doing totally out of your own personal choice, I think you need to find other interests... But scaling back almost completely on Japanese for a few weeks and in the mean time picking up a brand new language (a shiny new toy) from a different language family and finding out once again what it feels like to start a language from scratch has really helped me to gain a fresh perspective on language learning and apply this back to my Japanese. I've realised how warped my attitude had become, the details of which are possibly a little bit too personal to set out here right now (or at least ridiculous enough that I would feel completely embarassed if I tried to put them in writing).

Anyway, the really good news is that with the possible exception of speaking (which I struggle to get adequate opportunity to maintain anyway), I really haven't lost anything. Moreover, I've got a much better sense of the progress I have made over the last twelve months or so.

I've got a pile of intermediate level textbooks on my desk at the moment and am working through the first chapter or section on each of them so I can pick a couple to work on more closely over the next couple of months. So far, 日本語生中継・初中級編1 seems like a good option for listening practice and 新完全マスター語彙N2 seems to have quite a user friendly layout despite being a vocabulary practice book for JLPT N2. I have a book which is supposed to help with learning how to read newspaper articles but I think this one is still a bit beyond me (Japanese newspapers feel like the final frontier), although I did enjoy reading the bilingual introduction and learned a bit about the types of newspapers in Japan and how they are structured.

I am also enjoying reading one of the Aoi Tori Bunko books I've had ever since I thought doing Tadoku might be a good idea. This one is called 三丁目が戦争です and apparently it is a science fiction story, but so far it seems to be just about conflict between kids at a playground. I'm very happy with how much I can follow for now though, so the remaining challenge is to stick with it until I finish it.

Oh yes, and German! Well, as my love for Japanese has returned I'm no longer really studying as much as possible for the 6WC. Actually, I think maybe for a beginner, quality of study is probably a lot more important than quantity. Mass input is great for my Japanese now, but back when I knew much less I think it was a waste of time. Anyway, instead of aiming for sheer quantity of hours, I am now aiming for consistency, which means doing one Assimil lesson a day. If I feel like it, I can dip into my grammar book or a Deutsche Welle show for some additional material or clarification, but that's about it for now. I am looking forward to the point where my German reading ability takes over that of my French, because then I think I can really start having some fun!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6563 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 213 of 333
02 September 2012 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
I too find that sometimes a few weeks off can be a good thing. It also often improves my abilities. I guess if you're constantly trying to stuff new things into your head it's hard for your brain to sort through it all and it makes a confused mess, like stirring up the water in a puddle makes it muddy. But if you leave the puddle or your brain alone for a while it becomes clear again.

Working on a new language can also be useful, I'm sure. One of the worst things about the intermediate level is the feeling that you work and work and never get any better. You just see the plateau you're on and forget about the mountain you climbed up to get there. Sometimes it's good to stand at the bottom of the mountain again to get some perspective on that. That's when you see what a huge accomplishment you've already made.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 02 September 2012 at 8:04am

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5925 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 214 of 333
03 September 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
合格しました!

I just managed to log on and get my N3 results, and I passed, woohoo! I didn't even do that badly on the reading section and my grammar score was better than expected too.

Language Knowledge: 49/60
Reading: 41/60
Listening 49/60
Total: 139/180

Vocabulary: A
Grammar: A

I guess this means N2, here I come!

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5623 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 215 of 333
03 September 2012 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Oh wow! Congratulations!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6563 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 216 of 333
03 September 2012 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Good job!!

This discussion contains 333 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version