51 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
COF
United States
Joined 5668 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 49 of 51
02 June 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Why are some people reluctant to speak Catalan? Is it because Catalan is regarded as old fashioned and rustic, while Spanish is seen as modern and sophisticated?
1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5290 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 50 of 51
02 June 2012 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
Why are some people reluctant to speak Catalan?

There are many reasons, and they differ from person to person:
– most people prefer to speak in their native language, and for a lot of people that is not Catalan
– some people find Spanish more useful (it is a world language after all)
– some people object to what they see as an expression of Catalan nationalism and separatism
– some people are ardent Spanish nationalists and reject everything not seen as purely Spanish

COF wrote:
Is it because Catalan is regarded as old fashioned and rustic, while Spanish is seen as modern and
sophisticated?

While some people may regard Catalan as old fashioned and rustic, I think most people don't. Catalan is spoken by
many people in Barcelona, Spain's second largest city. It is spoken by all layers of society and used throughout the
educational system, in the media, in public speeches etc.

Edited by tractor on 02 June 2012 at 11:00pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5063 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 51 of 51
03 June 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Alexander86 wrote:
Could I just point out that although Franco did ban Catalan in many areas - education, official functions and so on
- books were published in Catalan from the early 1950s, so to say "Catalan was banned" is incorrect.

Exactly my point. For sure before the Francoist era, but also probably earlier within it, books were published in Catalan with little fuss -if anything- made over it. Last time I lived in Barcelona I regularly attended a bar where some guys tried to socialize with me and would only be happy if you agreed with them on everything, which I found frankly irritating. The day after they brought up exactly this topic I borrowed a book from my customer and handed it to them and dared them to explain how it could exist at all. They were truly speechless, because the sad truth is even most natives, let alone foreign dilettantes, are completely unaware of the real, hard facts in their history.

Quote:
...An interesting fact is that the overwhelming majority of classes
at all levels of education are given in Catalan, which is a great stimulus to the language, especially in comparison
with the situation here in Wales...

From comments in other threads I have the feel that most English speakers in the relevant areas feel they're being force-fed Walsh or Irish classes and see no use for them in real life. There's obviously much more 'choking' of this kind (i.e. per official policy) in Catalonia and I see comparatively quite less complaining. That would indicate to me that such stimuli are largely irrelevant for a language that is alive and well, and that it is alive and well because it is used in real life, so linguistically-wise only complaints from non-Catalan speakers come out of its being force-fed at schools (and with good reason).

Edited by mrwarper on 03 June 2012 at 5:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version