Diglot
Canada
Joined 4175 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 1 of 5
04 January 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently at a low C1 level in Spanish, and I'm working daily to improve my level and understanding of the language (e.g., acquiring verbs, reading newspaper articles, listening to radio, conversing with native speakers).

In anticipation of a trip this fall, I'd like to pick up my German, in which I finished at a high A2 level a few years ago. However, I've since forgotten most of what I know, including basic phrases.

I've read the posts here on simultaneous study, so I'm familiar with the general advice that intensive, focused study is better than being spread too thin.

Would it be worthwhile to study German passively (listening, reading) for an hour or two once a week for the next few months while continuing my daily focus on Spanish? or should I forget German completely, and then switch to intensive daily study (thus dropping Spanish for a while) in a few months' time?

To paraphrase, is there any risk of interference or of inefficient study time if I were to study German for only once a week for a few hours while focusing on Spanish?

I previously took both languages at once (while I was at a B1 in Spanish and A2 level in German), and I found it too confusing.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.
1 person has voted this message useful

Quique
Diglot
Spain
cronopios.net/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4507 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, German

Message 2 of 5
04 January 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Klaus wrote:
I've read the posts here on simultaneous study, so I'm familiar with the general advice that intensive, focused study is better than being spread too thin.

There are plenty of people here studying several languages at the same time (just check TAC logs).

I'd the rules of thumb are:
  • Don't study two very similar languagesat the same time
  • Don't be a beginner in more than one
You are at level C1 in Spanish. That means you already speak Spanish, and now you're improving it, something that you'll keep doing all your life.

Provided you have time for both, I think you can safely (re)start your German journey.

Rubencho
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4165 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English

Message 3 of 5
06 January 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
According to my experience:

Studying any language only a couple of hours per week will take you nowhere.
Once you reach C1 in certain language, it doesn't endanger others.
If I were you, I would try to save daily 30 minutes for the language that interests you
the least.

Edited by Rubencho on 06 January 2013 at 11:29pm

Klaus
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4175 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 4 of 5
07 January 2013 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both for the advice.

Rubencho, I've read in other forums on simultaneous study that it's better not to study two languages in the same day, hence limiting my German to one day a week. What are your thoughts on simultaneous study on the same day?

Rubencho
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4165 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English

Message 5 of 5
07 January 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Certainly it is not a good idea to study several languages at the same time, ONLY if you
are a beginner in both of them. In your case, since you already have a high level of
spanish, it is not dangerous for you to do so.

Moreover, "acquiring verbs, reading newspaper articles, listening to radio, conversing
with native speakers" does not equal studying, but using the language for leisure
purposes (which is exactly what you have to do at this stage).

Keep in mind this is just my take, it could not apply to everybody. But to be honest I
highly doubt it.

Edited by Rubencho on 07 January 2013 at 11:07pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version