feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5204 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 9 of 10
31 August 2010 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I know what you mean. I definitely want to absorb all the details. That's part of LotR's charm for me to be honest. I can become absorbed into the world, as it were. I'm not saying that's not possible for other works, but Tolkien certainly did a good job of it. I'm just coming to terms with the last few bits of grammar that have been bothering me. There are still some odd constructions here and there that baffle me somewhat, but they're few and far between, and mostly idiomatic from what I've seen. Therefore, it's the vocabulary that's really going to slow me down. That's definitely my weak point, and I'd pretty much be looking up a number of words from whatever text I choose, at least in the very beginning. I've determined that it won't actually work for me to do any solid reading until I've gotten through my backlog of words in SRS, and I can actually start to review some of the new words I find the next day or the day after, and really get them in my head while they're still fresh. Until then, it doesn't matter what text I choose, because it's not really going to be effective either way.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7128 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 10 of 10
20 June 2012 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently listen/reading Lord of the Rings in Spanish/English. I read the books many, many years ago, and loved the movies a few years back. This is my first time through the books again and I've approached the books in 3 ways:

1) Listen in Spanish, read English and move forward chapter after chapter.
2) Listen Spanish/Read English, then Listen and Read in Spanish.
3) Read in Spanish and look up unknown words (the slowest approach).

Approach 2 takes twice as long as method 1 and for me right now, the story is more approachable using method 1. I'm finding that looking up a few words (in English) here and there, or doing a bit of background checking on the actual story or looking at the odd illustration or map now and then is helpful for enhancing the story.

Approach 3 would really make the books take way way way to long to get through. I'm hopeful that more times through the book Listen/Reading will save me SRSing a ton of words later. I can see how some day approach 3 will provide value, but for me, that will be when the unknown words are around 1 per page, rather than a few per paragraph.

I think Lord of the Rings is a book I'll be able to go through more than once and maintain my interest in.

I didn't start with The Hobbit, but I'm thinking I'll Listen/Read it before I take a second trip through Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit was written for younger readers, and perhaps the original poster would find that a more approachable starting point. (I know this thread is almost 2 years old, but I think it's a valueable one).
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version