22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
kimmitt
United Kingdom
Joined 4914 days ago

33 posts - 38 votes
Studies: French

Message 1 of 22
05 June 2011 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
I have been reading about this elsewhere on the forum - why is it widely thought that
this technique will only be of benefit if you use it intensively for long periods over a
few days?

1 person has voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5261 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 2 of 22
06 June 2011 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
kimmitt wrote:
I have been reading about this elsewhere on the forum - why is it widely thought that this technique will only be of benefit if you use it intensively for long periods over a few days?

Because this is more or less what Atamagaii said,
Atamagaii wrote:
If you do L-R not intensively enough, it will be useless for you. The more difficult the text you begin with, the more intensive L-R should be. Two hours a day seems to be the minimum for relatively easy texts.
(I quote from a compilation by Atamagaii and made public by Volte: Listening-Reading collection

I may be allowed to comment that I feel that even shorter periods can be useful, but the main point is certainly that you need a certain repetition during one session for maximum effect. So if a word or phrase shows up only once during a single session, it may take many sessions until you can learn it, what is not optimal. But optimal solutions are often not practical ...

Edited by lingoleng on 06 June 2011 at 12:20am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6402 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 22
07 June 2011 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
kimmitt wrote:
I have been reading about this elsewhere on the forum - why is it widely thought that
this technique will only be of benefit if you use it intensively for long periods over a
few days?

It depends on the language, and your level in it, to some extent.

If you're a beginner, and the language isn't quite close to one you already know, anything other than intensity with L-R is an exercise in frustration, I find.

On the other hand, Atamagaii has claimed that as little as two hours/day can be useful for a very close language to one you already know (for instance, your second Romance language). S/he's also written that parts of L-R will still be of benefit, even if you don't use it as a package - for instance, if you reduce the intensity. Anecdotally, I have to agree with him/her on this.

The explanation Atamagaii gives for why intensity is important is the forgetting curve. I'm not convinced that that is a complete explanation, and I don't know enough to explain exactly why intensity is so important. But when I skip a day, or drop down under an hour or two in the middle of an intensive study period, it does feel a lot less effective.

Sorry this isn't a more complete answer - but I hope it sheds a little light, nonetheless.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Abdalan
Triglot
Brazil
abdalan.wordpress.co
Joined 5009 days ago

120 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 4 of 22
10 June 2011 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm 'L-R'ing Le Comte de Monte-Cristo.

The main problem I faced was in preparing the parallel text. I spend about 1 hour to
each chapter (reading and making it really, so to speak, “parallel”), resulting in more
than 120 hours to set the material ready to be used.

Each chapter is about 30 min long, so if you do L2 and L1 once without stopping, here
goes more 1 hour. It is recommended repeating 2 or 3 times this step. So, to each
chapter you spend between 3 and 4 hours (to each 30 min of new text).

But the whole process (the book) is to be made 2 or 3 times, so...

Anyway, I’m impressed with the results.

supertom
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4957 days ago

87 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 22
10 June 2011 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
While using LR as my main starting method with Spanish right now, I too can advocate on using it for long periods of time in a row. Having done it for forty hours over the last 8 days gave me some great results (you can read it in my log). In the beginning of a new language, I think that LR is only useful when you use is for long sessions (5-10 hours a day) to get a great immersion into the language.

However, once you have a basis and are intermediate, I think LR is also useful for shorter sessions. This because you can now start and try to really see all the words and grammar you already learned in practice! This is a great way to really ingrain the knowledge you already poses!
And, when you can already understand about 80-90% of what you hear/read, it is way easier to pick up the new words as there are just less words you have to focus on.

Hopefully this has been helpful, as I think it is written a bit chaotic..;)

It is a real good method and I advocate everybody to use it!
4 persons have voted this message useful

carlonove
United States
Joined 5949 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 22
11 June 2011 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Abdalan, if you would rather shell out some money rather than aligning the text yourself, you can get a parallel English-French version of Le Comte de Monte-Cristo from Lulu:

Le Comte de Monte-Cristo

Edited by carlonove on 11 June 2011 at 12:25am

2 persons have voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6978 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 22
11 June 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Abdalan wrote:
I'm 'L-R'ing Le Comte de Monte-Cristo.

The main problem I faced was in preparing the parallel text. I spend about 1 hour to
each chapter (reading and making it really, so to speak, “parallel”), resulting in more than 120 hours to set the material ready to be used.

Regardless of the results, I would have preferred to have spent those 120 hours learning the language with another method rather than preparing for L-R. Each to their own!
9 persons have voted this message useful

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5190 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 8 of 22
11 June 2011 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
When I want a parallel text that I don't already have, I just open up the English document and then re-size it so that it fits half of my computer screen, and then I do the same for the foreign language document on the other half of the screen. It's a bit annoying to have to keep scrolling down both documents, but setting this up takes about 30 seconds, rather than 120 hours (provided of course that I have digital copies of the texts).

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version