Brazil
abdalan.wordpress.co
Joined 4969 days ago

120 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 9 of 22
11 June 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
There are some reasons I decided built the parallel text myself.

1.     First, it is Portuguese-French. It seems there isn’t anything like that around.

2.     I bought the book “O Conde de Monte Cristo” (Portuguese version - Editora
Publicações Europa-America.) some years ago. Never read. Nobody could believe how many
errors of translations; insertions; and words, phrases and paragraphs cut off in a
(even good) translation. The saying “Tradutore, traditore” really means something. So,
I wanted to do like a friend of mine who made his own translation (or treachery, if you
like) as a gift to his grand-children.
My friend’s translation.

3.     Up to now I didn’t find even one good parallel text Portuguese-French, so here
goes my “espírito de artífice” (quality of craftsmanship) building it myself.
Afterwards I can exercise my “espírito de cristão” (It's better to give than to
receive) and share with my friends.

4.     The work itself of aligning, mixing and matching may be useful, as you have to
check more slowly both texts and read L1. l add also some personal comments, footnotes,
fix incorrections (even the original text have errors as most of them was built through
OCR), and so. I doubt there is one human being or machine that can realize my 120
hours in 30 seg.

5.     I have a software that can do text statistical analysis if it is a digital
copy, of course. I aim to use it also. A pop-up dictionary is ‘vachement’ useful (do
you ever asked why Atamagaii would use a pop-up dictionary as the text is already
translated? Only creating your own text is possible to know why.)

RMM wrote:
When I want a parallel text that I don't already have, I just open up the
English document and then re-size it so that it fits half of my computer screen, and
then I do the same for the foreign language document on the other half of the screen.
It's a bit annoying to have to keep scrolling down both documents, but setting this up
takes about 30 seconds, rather than 120 hours (provided of course that I have digital
copies of the texts).

I doubt you can *only* resize the text a of 50 hours novel with a work of 30 seg and
get it to the level of the so-called “parallel text”. Well, “Optimal input is
comprehensible”. This means that you really got the meaning of the sound that came to
your ears (through reading L1) and even have a chance to have a glance in a fraction of
a second how it is written in L2 (all of this during 5, 6, 10 hours a day). If your
text is only partially matching, I doubt it is useful spend 30 seg).

patuco wrote:
Regardless of the results, I would have preferred to have spent those 120
hours learning the language with another method rather than preparing for L-R. Each to
their own!

Hum. You may have a point there. But, ‘to my own’, I already finished Assimil (‘with
easy’, ‘new with easy’ and ‘without toil’ – all three generations simultaneously), Some
FSI (Vol 1), Thomas, and tried most of the methods around. I don’t find any, as far as
language learning is concerned, that can offer me more than a work of literature of
Dumas would (as never I act ‘Regardless of the results’). Any hints?

carlonove wrote:
Abdalan, if you would rather shell out some money rather than
aligning the text yourself, you can get a parallel English-French version of Le Comte
de Monte-Cristo from Lulu:

Thank you, carlonove.

-=-

About the topic:

The main point in LR, IMHO, is that consist of set of materials aimed at
subconscious language acquisition (not learning). In some aspects it may
be even more useful than talking with natives, (simply being a native speaker of a
language does not in of itself qualify one as a teacher of that language) as we often
‘smooth’ our speech to a slower rate and clearer articulation, less slang and fewer
idioms in talking with learners.

LR has characteristics that encourage acquisition at the fastest possible rate, as the
writers do not use only vocabulary of high frequency, syntactic simplification or
shorter sentences. But, there are requirements sine qua non and I see that most
of those who use it, miss some of these points.

OPTIMAL INPUT IS COMPREHENSIBLE, that is, you have to UNDERSTAND what you hear. If you
don’t understand the message, there will be no acquisition. It is practically
impossible, for instance, for someone to acquire a second or foreign language merely by
listening to radio, or watching TV programs that teach foreign languages, unless
the acquirer speaks a very closely related language. Even children sometimes fail to
pick up family languages when it is used to “tell secrets”, – so, in practicing LR you
have to read the translation.

Books are NOT GRAMMATICALLY SEQUENCED or focused on one structure. This is a must if
you aim fluency. Communicative input that comes from LR contains built-in review. Maybe
here one finds the reason to “of benefit if you use it intensively”. In Le Comte de
Monte-Cristo I got astonished as I saw that in 20/100 chapters I had already 90.000
words. This means that I’ll have more than 450.000 by the end of the book. But I doubt
that Dumas uses more than 25.000 different words (I’ll answer in few days), so do you
see how much of review? This fact is related to the so-called IDIOLECTIC. We don't have
to worry if we the passé composé this minute was only partially understood, it will be
part of the input again... and again. Recycling minute after minute (if the book is big
enough).

Further, we can select the material that is INTERESTING AND RELEVANT TO US. In such a
way our focus itself is the communication (the subject, the message, of the book) and
not (only) the (grammatical) form of the language. “Grammatically-based syllabus
reduces the quality of comprehensible exposure and distorts the communicative focus”
Sometimes when practicing LR I even forget that the message is ‘encoded’ in French (in
my case). How much of nice subject we can find in a book that teaches language?

FSI:

Je suis heureux de faire votre connaissance.
Il est heureux de faire votre connaissance.
Mon frère est heureux de faire votre connaissance.
Mon père est heureux de faire votre connaissance.
Ils sont heureux de faire votre connaissance.
Mon frère et ma soeur sont heureux de faire votre connaissance.
Mon ami est heureux de faire votre connaissance.
Je suis heureux de faire votre connaissance.

Le Comte:

- Mais vous savez donc plusieurs langues ?
- Je parle cinq langues vivantes, l'allemand, le français, l'italien, l'anglais et
l'espagnol ; à l'aide du grec ancien je comprends le grec moderne ; seulement je le
parle mal, mais je l'étudie en ce moment.
- Vous l'étudiez ? dit Dantès.
- Oui, je me suis fait un vocabulaire des mots que je sais, je les ai arrangés,
combinés, tournés et retournés, de façon qu'ils puissent me suffire pour exprimer ma
pensée. Je sais à peu près mille mots, c'est tout ce qu'il me faut à la rigueur,
quoiqu'il y en ait cent mille, je crois, dans les dictionnaires. Seulement, je ne serai
pas éloquent, mais je me ferai comprendre à merveille et cela me suffit. »
il savait déjà, d'ailleurs, l'italien et un peu de romaïque, qu'il avait appris dans
ses voyages d'Orient.
Avec ces deux langues, il comprit bientôt le mécanisme de toutes les autres, et, au
bout de six mois, il commençait à parler l'espagnol, l'anglais et l'allemand.

[edited: my English s*cks. Fixed some misspellings]

Edited by Abdalan on 11 June 2011 at 10:09pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

carlonove
United States
Joined 5909 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 10 of 22
11 June 2011 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
That was a very informative post, Abdalan, and aligning such a sizable book is a commendable task. I hope you'll share the completed text when you're finished; even if there aren't a lot of Portuguese speakers on the forum it would make life much easier for someone who wanted to align either the French or Portuguese with another language. You should ask your friend to submit his translations to Librivox.org; there are probably people who'd voluntarily record them in audiobook format, especially if the other translations are so poor.

How exactly did you work through the three Assimil courses? What are your thoughts on the differences between each edition?
1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6938 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 22
11 June 2011 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Abdalan wrote:
patuco wrote:
Regardless of the results, I would have preferred to have spent those 120 hours learning the language with another method rather than preparing for L-R. Each to their own!

Hum. You may have a point there. But, ‘to my own’, I already finished Assimil (‘with
easy’, ‘new with easy’ and ‘without toil’ – all three generations simultaneously), Some FSI (Vol 1), Thomas, and tried most of the methods around. I don’t find any, as far as language learning is concerned, that can offer me more than a work of literature of Dumas would (as never I act ‘Regardless of the results’). Any hints?

I prefer reading a book with accompanying audio entirely in the target language, after having gone through at least one language-learning course. If the books are simple enough, then in 120 hours I can read a few of them.

I should point out that I haven't tried the intensive L-R which you are referring to since, unfortunately, I don't have the time to spend such long periods continuously absorbed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5150 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 12 of 22
13 June 2011 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
Abdalan, I didn't mean to suggest that what I can throw together in 30 seconds is in any way the equal to a well-done true parallel text. It's just that for me the deficits are well worth it, if I can save 120 hours of work. I mean, you can get a lot of language learning done in 120 hours of actual study instead. If you believe that it was worth it for you, then bravo for finishing such a big task. I've done L-R with and without parallel texts, and I personally can't tell all that much difference. I think I pick things up a tad quicker when I can check the translation quickly, but mostly I just stick to L1 or L2 texts in any given pass through the text with the audio.

How much of a benefit do you feel that having a parallel text has given you as opposed to simply doing L-R with the text in one language and then in the other language later? If I've just done a run through with L1 on a chunk of text then I can usually remember the meaning when I go back to L2 audio-L2 text, even without a parallel text (I usually don't go longer than a chapter (and sometimes less) before switching languages to make sure that I can still remember the meaning). Also, with a book that big do you make several passes over the material or would that just take too much time? (I think the original proponent of this method suggested that three times through with L2 audio-L1 text should be enough). Or does having a parallel text mean you don't have to go over the same material so many times?

By the way, I should mention that I've only tried the "two windows open next to each other in different languages" strategy on languages for which I already know the basics. I think that it would probably be too difficult to keep both texts together for a language of which I knew very little.

Edited by RMM on 13 June 2011 at 8:18am

Wompi
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4879 days ago

56 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: German*, Spanish, English
Studies: Czech

Message 14 of 22
16 June 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Winnie wrote:
doviende's blog:
How to create parallel texts for language learning – Part 1
http://languagefixation.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/how-to-crea te-parallel-texts-for-language-learning-part-1/

How to create parallel texts for language learning, part 2
http://languagefixation.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/how-to-crea te-parallel-texts-for-language-learning-part-2/

Just tried the technical version described in the second part with Harry Potter Part 3 German <-> Czech. The result is quite impressive.

tbone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4914 days ago

92 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 16 of 22
16 June 2011 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
I've been working on an html file which displays two (local, in my case) text files side-by-side. When you scroll one
panel, the other one scrolls, too, proportionally. Works fine on Safari, but not at all well on Firefox. Trying to keep
it simple. Development will continue.

Has saved me a boatload of time, but you don't get the perfect matching you got with the by-hand bilingual-
texts.com files. Corresponding paragraphs may not be exactly across from the one you're reading.

Edited by tbone on 16 June 2011 at 11:08pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version