Studies: Czech

Message 17 of 22
17 June 2011 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
Winnie wrote:
Wompi wrote:
Winnie wrote:
doviende's blog:
How to create parallel texts for language learning – Part 1
http://languagefixation.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/how-to-crea te-parallel-texts-for-language-learning-part-1/

How to create parallel texts for language learning, part 2
http://languagefixation.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/how-to-crea te-parallel-texts-for-language-learning-part-2/

Just tried the technical version described in the second part with Harry Potter Part 3 German <-> Czech. The result is quite impressive.

I must say I was surprised that anyone would need 120 hours to make a parallel text of a novel.

Before I saw this post, I also tried to translate HP to make an interlinear text, but this was too exhausting. This Method took me the first time about 1 hour to find the correct program for Regular Expressions etc. Now it takes about 15 min to get a parallel text. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Abdalan
Triglot
Brazil
abdalan.wordpress.co
Joined 4969 days ago

120 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 18 of 22
17 June 2011 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Wompi wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Wompi wrote:
Winnie wrote:
doviende's blog:
How to create parallel texts for language learning – Part 1
http://languagefixation.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/how-to-crea te-parallel-texts-for-
language-learning-part-1/

How to create parallel texts for language learning, part 2
http://languagefixation.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/how-to-crea te-parallel-texts-for-
language-learning-part-2/

Just tried the technical version described in the second part with Harry Potter Part 3
German <-> Czech. The result is quite impressive.

I must say I was surprised that anyone would need 120 hours to make a parallel text of
a novel.

Before I saw this post, I also tried to translate HP to make an interlinear text, but
this was too exhausting. This Method took me the first time about 1 hour to find the
correct program for Regular Expressions etc. Now it takes about 15 min to get a
parallel text. :)

Would you mind to show us the result of your 15 min work in PDF, DOCX?

Here goes 20/117 chaps of mine as an example:

Hotfile ~3Mb

And models of somebody who knows the matter much more than me.

Hotfile ~3Mb

Edited by Abdalan on 17 June 2011 at 2:35pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4751 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 19 of 22
08 September 2011 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
I know there are various L-R threads.

I will try appending a relevant question to this one, optimistically:-

Has anyone whose native language is English, or who uses English as a learning language, managed to learn any of the Scandinavian languages through this method?

Particularly Danish?

I ask because I have a long-term goal to have a serious crack at one of the Scandinavian languages. It might be Norwegian, because I've made a superficial attempt to learn that in the past. I chose that one because initial research showed that it might be the most useful one to know if I was travelling in all 3 Scandinavian countries. (I'm not including Iceland, the Faroes, or Finland in that definition). Scandinavians can, and probably will, challenge that assertion :-) I'm just going by what I read on the internet :-)

Anyway, and feel free to challenge, I'd got the impression that while Norwegian and Swedish were reasonably phonetic, Danish was more of a challenge, i.e. less obviously related in speaking (from the learner's point of view) to the written language.

That being my view, and knowing that it has taken me a long time, using more or less conventional methods, to get into a state of "adequacy" in German, I didn't think I had enough years left to attempt to tackle a Scandinavian language in depth.

Then I learned about this L-R method, and a lot of what I read appeals to me.
I've slowly begun it in German, and I think I can see what people are talking about.

It would be interesting to try it as a near beginner, in one of the Scandinavian languages, and perhaps Danish would be the biggest challenge.

I'd very much like to travel more in all of the 3 countries. I don't seriously expect to be able to learn all 3, so better to learn one well, and hope people in the other 2 countries understand me, and vice-versa.

Advice from Scandinavians and/or from English native speakers who have been this way before?

What are my chances of finding audiobooks in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, and parallel-texts?

Many thanks.

p.s. My wife and I are fans of Scandinavian crime fictional drama, which BBC TV now shows regularly, and tonight were watching repeats of series 1 of "Vorbrydelsen" aka "The Killing".

We turn the sound up so we can understand it better :-)
(erm....it's subtitled, not dubbed here....)

(Meyer got killed, and Lund lived, but Lund was stupid and Meyer was smart ... explain the justice in that!)

Do Danes ever open their mouths? It doesn't seem like it :-)
(but some Brits don't, either).

(p.s. if any Dane wants to persuade me to start with Danish, and not Norwegian, I am willing to be seduced, but please make it sound like it's going to be easy .... :-) ).

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5479 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 20 of 22
08 September 2011 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
I can't speak for Danish, but I was able to get a half-decent reading level relatively quickly in Swedish through a version of listening and reading last year. And that was amidst the general chaos of moving back from Germany and hotel-hopping too. ;)

And thanks for the tip on "Vorbrydelsen" (The Killing). For anyone with access to BBC iPlayer, you can currently find a link to the last 4 episodes here. :)

3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4751 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 21 of 22
08 September 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
I can't speak for Danish, but I was able to get a half-decent reading level relatively quickly in Swedish through a version of listening and reading last year. And that was amidst the general chaos of moving back from Germany and hotel-hopping too. ;)

And thanks for the tip on "Vorbrydelsen" (The Killing). For anyone with access to BBC iPlayer, you can currently find a link to the last 4 episodes here. :)

Thanks Teango. Good to hear.
Sorry about the semi-spoiler there.
Watching it a second time while knowing how it ends hasn't spoiled it for me; it is so well done. Fantastic series.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4751 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 22 of 22
31 May 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
I knew I had asked a question similar to the above, some time in the past, and had a
job finding it, but here it is :-). Thought I'd post a quick update.

Haven't made any direct progress on the Scandinavian L-R front since then, but have
been persuaded at least to have a serious attempt at Danish. Or serious-ish (I'm not
quite as dedicated as many on here seem to be). The series of Scandi-noir on BBC4
continued with main force I'm glad to say, with "Borgen", and most recently "The
Bridge|Bron|Broen", and just now "Sebastian Bergmann". "The Bridge" especially
interesting as it was a Danish/Swedish co-production, and the cultural differences were
played upon to some extent.

UK members, especially Guardian readers, may be aware that there has been a busy series
of blogs on the G. website, following all these dramas. Not all participants are
linguists particularly, but some are, and I was intrigued to find one person who said
he and his wife had started to learn Danish quite intensively, a little while back, and
were both doing quite well. (If you happen to be reading this "roseutd", hi!,
although you are probably too busy). The methods they adopted are not open to me (and
maybe not to most of us), as they had a chance to get intensive person-to-person native
speaker coaching, in direct exchange for a business service they were able to provide.
They also voluntarily went into a Danish "bubble" at home, speaking only Danish,
watching Danish TV, etc, etc, which not everyone would be able or willing to do! It
seems to have paid off in their case.

Even though I wouldn't be following their methods, he has convinced me to think more
seriously about tackling Danish specifically. Partly this is for the fairly shallow
reason that there seems to be a lot of high-quality film and TV drama produced in
Danish that is relatively easily available, and that will be a start. I was aware of
this, but had tended to ignore it, thinking I would probably get nothing linguistically
from it, but I'm now more open to the idea. Also, I suppose in some ways Denmark is
easier to get to (ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg, which appeals as I don't like flying).
My wife really likes the country (although we both like all of Scandinavia that we have
seen so far), and I'd like to get to know it better. It seems that Danes are probably
culturally a bit closer to us than Swedes or Norwegians, although I've always liked
Scandinavians from whatever country, whenever I have met them.

So, I went mad :-) and bought TYS "Complete" Danish (to add to my TYS Norwegian.
I never expect too much from TYS to be honest, and I had a feeling that the Danish one
didn't get an especially good write-up, but so far I've been pleased. The book is
clearly printed and well-laid-out. It relates reasonably well to the 2 CDs.
Now I'd always fancied the intonation of Danish (from listening to the various TV
dramas), but now I'm in love! It's the real thing! :-) The thing I'll have most
difficulty with is the glottal stop I think, which I can hear, but can't so far
imitate. It's rather different to the typical English glottal stop.

(There are some who say Danish is an ugly language, but I can't agree. Beauty is in
the ear of the beholder I suppose).

Of course, pronunciation generally is proving to be the minefield that I always feared
it would be. It's just so unphonetic (to my mind). But still, I'm going to give it a
shot.

I realise this is getting a bit far away from L-R, but I like to have at least a quick
overview of the language before embarking on something like L-R, and the TYS series,
for all its faults, is a relatively low-risk investment, and if nothing else, it
provides some quick reference to vocab and grammar.

I suspect finding good L-R material will be more of a challenge, but if I have any
success, I will try to report back at some point.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version