William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6195 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 9 of 13
09 May 2012 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
I think the occasional study orgy is good. It might be better if it could be made more than occasional, but I think few are in a position to manage several 12-hour study days in a row.

Overall, it is probably better to do an hour or two a day on a regular basis rather than a 12-hour orgy of study followed by several weeks of recovery before the next glut.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5731 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 10 of 13
09 May 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
I've found this approach to work for a variety of activities seemingly because of the
"forgetting curve". So, if a normal study session is 2 steps forward and 1 step back then
a super one is like 10 steps forward and 1 step back. Of course if you let more time go
by without studying your going to take more steps back.

The trick is not to get burnt-out. It seems to happen to me with all my hobbies.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6520 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 13
10 May 2012 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
I think the occasional study orgy is good.
I like how you put it. I kinda feel like a binge learner :) Like a person with certain problems might need to make up for eating by exhausting themselves in the gym, I learnlearnlearn (a specific example - shadowing till my throat is sore...love the feeling).
1 person has voted this message useful

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 6121 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 12 of 13
10 May 2012 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
I have at least one free day a week (sometimes two), when I'm all by myself in the house, and I devote the entire day to Korean. I find it very helpful in the long run.

In the short run, it always leaves me feeling a little confused and tongue-tied the very next day. I sense everything is a bit jumbled in my head. But after a few days things sort themselves out and I usually notice some improvement. Since I started doing this, my particular focus has been on my listening ability, and this has improved markedly since I began spending concentrated blocks of time on it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Randwulf
United States
Joined 4815 days ago

32 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 13
13 May 2012 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
aokoye wrote:
How did you breakup your study session? How many hours on vocab, listening, grammar,
speaking, etc?

It's an interesting idea and, while I have the time to do so (taking time off from school
due to medical issues) I don't know that I'd have the mental stamina to do so.

Basically, I did strenuous activities such as reading literature until I wanted to stab my eyes out, then I did less strenuous things (at least for me) like listening and studying flash cards. Rinse and repeat.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version