Constructing and deconstructing?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
ajelsma
United States
Joined 4533 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes

Message 1 of 8
06 May 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
I recently starting using Learning with Texts. I have tried what alot of the lingq
members do which is listening, highlighting, listeing etc. I can even do the tests (an
option on learning with texts). The only problem is I feel I memorize the sentence. How
can we use this method to do almost a Laoshu (Moses) approach, where we work hard with
the sentences to understand and be able to use each part whenever you choose. Hopefully
this makes sense. I dont mean to do exactly what Moses does. I would like to stay within
the LWT program. Do you fellow language learners feel that using the listening and
reading method will allow as much freedom as the deconstructing method. If not how can
you make it so?
Thank you all for your help :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6520 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 8
06 May 2012 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
What's that other method you're talking about?

IDK, I think the first step would be to focus on understanding, especially without translating. As you have more input and learn to understand more or less effortlessly, things will make more sense too so you won't need to memorize stuff.

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4622 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 3 of 8
06 May 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't recommend using constructing/deconstructing. I don't know his exact method, but thinking too much about grammar will slow you down.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4624 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 4 of 8
07 May 2012 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
You can make an inline (literal word for word) translation. Makes you realize how some patterns work. But I wouldn't waste time doing that.. just read and absorb is what I'd say.

Too bad LWT sucks at Japanese - to a point where it's unusable. Also, the author doesn't give a damn about that. I don't want to use the paid LingQ features.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5689 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 8
07 May 2012 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
LaughingChimp wrote:
I don't recommend using constructing/deconstructing. I don't know his exact method, but thinking too much about grammar will slow you down.

Yes, it might be possible you could actually figure out how certain patterns work and be able to transfer that knowledge to new texts consciously, and not wait until your non-conscious thought processes have caught up. How horrible. ôo

ajelsma, I don't really know what Moses does as I don't like to watch instructional videos, and that was all he had to offer the last time I checked. (That was a long time ago.)
As for deconstruction, I do that whenever I encounter new sentence patterns. To me, it feels like looking at building blocks and figuring out how they fit together.
For example, in my French textbook I noticed "le week-end dernier" (last week-end) and shortly afterwards "pour mon dernier week-end" (for my last week-end) and that made me realize that depending on the position, dernier has a temporal meaning (the last one before now) or refers to the last one in an certain order.
I look at syntax, grammar and expressions when working with texts in lwt, and when I don't understand how a sentence works I write it down, look up the grammar points and do a hyperliteral translation. The next time I encounter the same grammar point in a different sentence I usually understand it without having to thnk about it.

ETA: lwt works with Japanese, one can either link it to an external parser, or add all characters as 'known' and then add the unknown vocabulary terms as expressions. It actually works better than for French, for example.

Edited by Bao on 07 May 2012 at 3:47am

3 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4624 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 6 of 8
08 May 2012 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
I tried with MECAB for kind of sucky results. Needless to say that if I have to do workarounds and funky stunts to perform a simple learning session, the program is crap for performing the task.
Might be fine with some languages, for others it's not the best option.

Seriously, LingQ does a WAY better job while still not being perfect. I'd rather use other methods.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4815 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 7 of 8
11 May 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
Too bad LWT sucks at Japanese - to a point where it's unusable. Also, the author doesn't give a damn about that.

Thank you for your "kind" words. After programming LWT for weeks and releasing it for free to the public it's always nice to read the word "suck".

Did you try this space inserter? http://nihongo.dpwright.com/spaces/index.php

Or you just use this approach:

Just set LWT to "make each character a word" and import into LWT the 20,000 most important Japanese words with translations (lists can be easily found via Google).

Now these words and characters are immediately recognized in LWT. The only thing you do is to set your knowledge status of these words while reading, plus to add the more rare words and characters.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5592 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 8 of 8
11 May 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
ajelsma wrote:
I recently starting using Learning with Texts. I have tried what alot of the lingq
members do which is listening, highlighting, listeing etc. I can even do the tests (an
option on learning with texts). The only problem is I feel I memorize the sentence. How
can we use this method to do almost a Laoshu (Moses) approach, where we work hard with
the sentences to understand and be able to use each part whenever you choose.

LingQ and LWT are fantastic at developing your passive vocabulary. What you are asking about seem to be "how can I get the words into my active vocabulary?". The tests in LWT can help a little with that, but for the most part this is not what LingQ and LWT are aimed at.

If you want to build your active vocabulary, then you need to do lots of production-oriented things, such as writing and speaking.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version