Swift
Ireland
Joined 4531 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 1 of 14
14 May 2012 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
As I’ve learned more and more of my first second language (French), I’ve begun to try
to think more and more in it. I think it’s natural to catch yourself doing it
sometimes, especially when you’re actively engaged in something related to the
language. However, I’ve really been trying to think in French for extended periods of
time, as I am now fairly close to a B2. Last night I managed to do it for an hour while
play a video game. It was actually quite tiring, oddly enough. I think that was because
I had to keep telling my brain to think in French. After 18 years, it’s easiest to
think in English! Not to mention that it isn’t exactly easy to think about the complex
worlds created in a lot of videogames! More vocabulary will certainly be needed and
will soon be learned for that.

Anyway, the experience of thinking in a foreign language is amazing for me, even if my
thoughts aren't exactly amazing. My question is this; is there a difference between
thinking in a language and speaking to yourself in it? I remember reading some posts
here where people said they sometimes speak to themselves in their TL language to get
themselves to think in it. For me, it is easier for me to speak aloud in French than to
think in it. Is that because I have only just made my first foray into trying to think
in it for hours at a time? Or is it actually harder to think in a language for certain
reasons?

The answer probably isn’t very quantifiable, but I found the thought of this question
very interesting! I’d love to hear your experiences.

Edited by Swift on 14 May 2012 at 10:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5304 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 14
14 May 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
All I would say is that if you're going to just think in the language rather than talk, make sure you still formulate complete sentences and finish difficult utterances because it's too easy to just get parts of unfinished sentences and move on.
6 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4612 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 3 of 14
14 May 2012 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
I personally think it can be difficult to tell whether you are actually thinking in a certain language or not. When I really try to break it down and pay attention to what's going on in my head when I think, I usually just pick out abstract thought rather than actual language. When I look around the room and I see a glass of water, I don't feel like I say in my head: "A glass of water" or "Ein Glas Wasser" or "Verre d'eau". I just "know" what it is in an abstract sense. I know it is a container, I know it contains something that will make my thirst subside, I know how it works, but I don't translate directly to any single word in my head. The only time I find myself really thinking in a definable language is if I'm looking for a way to describe something or communicate something to someone. At that point I have to make a conscious effort to word it in my head in the language that I need it in.

I "feel" like I think in whatever language I'm currently speaking for any period of time, but I'm not sure if I really am or if I'm just thinking about that language. For example, when I speak to my friends in Louisiana for a few hours (in French)it feels like I'm thinking in French for the next couple of hours, but when I am working all day, I feel like I think in English because that's what I've been using all day.

On a side note, a friend of mine who is Japanese but speaks predominantly English (as she moved to the US when she was 10) says that when she thinks about regular stuff she thinks in English but when she does Math or thinks about numbers she thinks in Japanese.

4 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5455 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 14
14 May 2012 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Throughout the day, I have this little "rehearsal" loop running in my head. I'm
constantly thinking of things to say to various people, or things to write. If I avoid
speaking and writing in English, then I can start this loop running in French.

There's a reason I'm keeping my log in French these days, and speaking French with my
wife. This shifts a good 80% of my "rehearsal" over to French. I think this is one of
the reasons that immersion works so well: It gives you every reason to keep your L2
system active, and to shut down your L1 system for extended periods of time.

When I can avoid English, I can now think in French for a couple of days at a stretch,
with only scattered moments in English. When I wake up, there's at least a 30% chance
that I'll be thinking in French. It's really weird to wake up at 2am and have a half-
baked L2 at your fingertips and your L1 still deep asleep.

I'm stupid in French, and I don't like that. Well, except sometimes I think very
fast, without words, in little quicksilver chains of logic. I never really noticed this
before, but the contrast with my labored internal monologue is really startling.

Sometimes, when I force myself to think in French, I immediately get a splitting
headache. At other times, it's completely natural and stress-free. But most commonly,
it's like wading through molasses: Everything is slower and more labored than it should
be.

I know when I'm thinking in French, because (1) my English grammar gets weird, and (2)
I lose the ability to understand really strong accents in English. Sometimes the switch
back to English is gradual: At first, I translate from French to English, at least for
simple stuff. Several minutes later, I have a weird echo: I think in English, and the
French version arrives a few seconds later ("…seconds plus tard. Ah, ça y est. C'est
bizarre."). Ten minutes after that, my French will shut down unless I force myself to
keep using it.

I don't really think of English as a way to relax right now. Usually it feels like an
unpleasant obligation, occasionally like a guilty indulgence. Right now, for example.

My apologies for these scattered thoughts. The words above have been trying to sneak
into my internal monologue for a few days now, and I want to purge them.
7 persons have voted this message useful

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5150 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 5 of 14
14 May 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I think that it's best both to speak out loud and to think quietly to yourself in a foreign language. I find thinking in a language to be more difficult too than speaking it out loud. It seems to me that thoughts simply tend to be more fleeting and vague (and as Arekkusu points out, incomplete), so you need more effort and concentration to keep them solely in a foreign language. For this reason, as a sort of mental exercise, it probably is good to think in the language if you can, especially since you can do this at times when speaking out loud would be impractical or embarrassing. (However, German's the only language I can really think in at this point and like you I need more vocabulary. I'm sure this will get easier with more practice--it consistently is getting easier for me and will for you too if you keep up with it. I now find it MUCH easier to think in German than I did just a month or two ago.)

On the other hand, speaking out loud is important too in order to get used to actually speaking. If you can get your mouth around easy, fluid pronunciation in private, then you should be able to speak better with other people later on. Speaking out loud can also allow you to better evaluate your own pronunciation. Regardless of whether you find it easier or more difficult, I'd still suggest using the "speaking out loud to yourself" method as a form of conversation practice too.

On BaronBill's point, I've got to say my experiences are radically different. I almost constantly have a stream of thoughts largely translated into words flowing through my brain. Although I do not say in my mind "a glass of water" when I see one, I will typically say in my thoughts, "I think I'll get some water now" or some other action or plan I intend to take. I also often think in words about my evaluation of things ("That's brilliant--I'll have to remember that!" "Oh, that's so stupid!" "I need to quit wasting my time with this," etc.). In this regard, I find it extremely easy to tell if I'm thinking in a foreign language or not. I suppose this would simply depend on the way your individual mind works. Of course, even if you do not normally put your thoughts into words, you could still try to do so precisely in order to practice your foreign languages. As something you can do at just about any time of the day regardless of where you are at or what you are doing, thinking in a language is a terribly practical way to practice it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4531 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 6 of 14
15 May 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
All I would say is that if you're going to just think in the language
rather than talk, make sure you still formulate complete sentences and finish difficult
utterances because it's too easy to just get parts of unfinished sentences and move on.

I think you're definitely right. This is bound to happen to me (and has happened) when
I've thought about more abstract topics. Thanks.
BaronBill wrote:

I personally think it can be difficult to tell whether you are actually thinking in a
certain language or not. When I really try to break it down and pay attention to what's
going on in my head when I think, I usually just pick out abstract thought rather than
actual language. When I look around the room and I see a glass of water, I don't feel
like I say in my head: "A glass of water" or "Ein Glas Wasser" or "Verre d'eau". I just
"know" what it is in an abstract sense. I know it is a container, I know it contains
something that will make my thirst subside, I know how it works, but I don't translate
directly to any single word in my head. The only time I find myself really thinking in
a definable language is if I'm looking for a way to describe something or communicate
something to someone. At that point I have to make a conscious effort to word it in my
head in the language that I need it in.

I "feel" like I think in whatever language I'm currently speaking for any period of
time, but I'm not sure if I really am or if I'm just thinking about that language. For
example, when I speak to my friends in Louisiana for a few hours (in French)it feels
like I'm thinking in French for the next couple of hours, but when I am working all
day, I feel like I think in English because that's what I've been using all day.

On a side note, a friend of mine who is Japanese but speaks predominantly English (as
she moved to the US when she was 10) says that when she thinks about regular stuff she
thinks in English but when she does Math or thinks about numbers she thinks in
Japanese.

Hmm, well I can kind of relate. I know that recently I have sometimes had trouble
remembering if a conversation I had was in English or French. In terms of the thinking
I was talking about, I think my thoughts are very intentional and direct at this stage,
thus I know explicitly what I am thinking. This is because I am just trying to get
myself more and more familiar with the language. Am I right in assuming that when
you're fluent, thoughts come naturally in the manner you described? My feelings would
be that if you're more fluent, your greater knowledge of the language makes vague
concepts easier to deal with (i.e. you know lots of meanings for one thing). You don't
really "think" about thinking.

On a related note, I find it difficult to think in French with loud spoken English in
the background. It's easy to speak, but when I hear English my brain's instinct is to
think in it. This doesn't make much sense to me, considering that I have to think in
French to speak it, but yeah. Perhaps the physical aspect of doing makes the
difference.
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4611 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 7 of 14
15 May 2012 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
It's really weird to wake up at 2am and have a half-
baked L2 at your fingertips and your L1 still deep asleep.

I don't really think of English as a way to relax right now. Usually it feels like an
unpleasant obligation, occasionally like a guilty indulgence. Right now, for example.

I love these kinds of discussions about language and how the brain uses it. I've found that any sort of intensive use of an L2 can lead to that "waking up in L2" feeling, and the more intensive, the more likely and the more long-lasting the "L2 hangover" can be.

I certainly feel like English is a guilty indulgence, as well. I also find myself having very complex and very fast conversations in English and now I really FEEL how different it is from L2, as opposed to just feeling like I'm talking.
1 person has voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4531 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 8 of 14
15 May 2012 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
@emk: Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one that has rather simple
thoughts! Of course, that's only natural when you're not fluent, or even just not a
native. It's actually because of a post that I saw in your log that I decided to start
trying to think more in French, so thanks.

I can relate to so much of your post. For instance, I am amazed at how easy thinking
has been for me the past few hours, but it does shift like you said. I also make lots
of mistakes in spelling after doing lots French, for instance confusing "you're" with
"your" without realising it.

Also, is thinking "immersion"? I've seen the word used on these forums before, but I'm
not sure of exactly what it means. Some people seem to use it in the sense of going to
a foreign country and learning its language while they are surrounded by it. I always
think of it as integrating your language as much into your daily life as possible, so
that you are constantly using. Thinking must certainly do that!

@RMM I'm glad to hear that you were able to make such an improvement! That is pretty
much my hope. It's pretty important for me to improve as much as possible as I have
fairly big ambitions.

In terms of speaking out loud, I could not agree with you more. When I read a novel, an
article or even a textbook written in French, I almost always read it out loud. My
thoughts are the same as yours; hearing your own pronunciation is important! As I am
lucky enough to also be able to speak with natives, I don't speak aloud to myself too
often for extended periods. Although I find myself doing it in the shower, haha :P

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version