Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4782 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 1 of 5
15 May 2012 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
There are plenty of plugins to Anki. My question is, which of them would you recommend as actually useful?
(Personally, I'm especially interested in these helpful in learning Chinese vocabulary)
1 person has voted this message useful

Globe-trotter
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 4520 days ago

29 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Thai

Message 2 of 5
15 May 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
I've been trying the MCD plug-in for a couple of months now, and have been using it on a
daily basis ever since. You basically copy and paste paragraphs of text from your target
language into the plug-in and then create separate cards for all words you don't know. At
first it seems tough, but it works eventually. Also, I think it's a method for slightly
more advanced learners.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6832 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 5
16 May 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
The Hanzi statistics plugin show how many characters you know according the four HSK levels (Basic (甲), Elementary (乙), Intermediate (丙) and Advanced (丁)). The pinyin toolkit generates readings for anything you put in - character, word, sentence.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4782 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 4 of 5
16 May 2012 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
They are useful, but many of deck sets seem to be incompatible with these plugins.
Besides, do you know how to create such decks, where they would be connected with this system?

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5455 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 5
16 May 2012 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
I like "Cloze Tools" for tricky clozes, and I wrote a private plugin that pulls
definitions from Larousse online (it's not like I don't already own a bunch of their
dictionaries).

I've been doing MCD cards in French using "Cloze Tools" and card model that looks like
this:

Model: Cloze 3
Phrase
Cloze 1
Cloze 2
Cloze 3
Note

This model generates 3 related cards, each with a single word missing on the front, and
the full phrase on the back. If you play around with the models and the templates, you
can do some really neat stuff that speeds up data entry and reviews. For example, all
my French gender cards are marked in specific colors (for rules and exceptions), and my
newest cloze cards hide the question when showing the answer.

So definitely check out some plugins, but don't overlook the built-in features.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version