United States
Joined 4611 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 9 of 12
23 May 2012 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
Corinwright1994 wrote:
*plus, podcasts are usually frustrating to listen to, because I get angry at the fact
i've been learning a language for about 8 months and have no idea whatever I just
listened to.

Sorry to hear you're getting frustrated--hang in there!

After looking at your original post for the third time I did realize that you don't really include reading in your routine beyond transcripts of audio you're listening to. You also express frustration at missing a lot of the vocabulary for understanding the podcasts.

My personal learning style works as follows: Reading Is Fundamental. Reading is where I get the most input and I learn tons of vocabulary here. When I listen, I then recognize words I learned from reading and thus learn to recognize them when spoken as well--only rarely do I learn a word from scratch in an audio context. Once I can recognize a word as written and spoken, then I can try using it in conversation or in writing. I'm a very visual learner, but everyone is different, so know yourself.

So if endless listening is still not giving you the progress you would like, perhaps you could try adding extensive reading as Serpent suggested. If you feel lost with most standard prose, I'd suggest trying to find a translation of something you've read in English and that you're familiar with and enjoy. The cliche example is Harry Potter, but not everyone likes that, so try to find something that works for you. Just read, and if you are totally lost, keep reading. Since you know the story well, you'll start recognizing things here and there, and it will add up.

Just a suggestion--hope it helps.

Good luck!
1 person has voted this message useful

Corinwright1994
United Kingdom
Joined 4532 days ago

27 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 10 of 12
23 May 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
yeah cheers man, I will take that on board. The reading does help. but because words
don't sound like they are spelled, it can be hard to learn a word completely from reading
and then recognize it in audio.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4611 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 11 of 12
23 May 2012 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Corinwright1994 wrote:
but because words don't sound like they are spelled, it can be hard to learn a word completely from reading and then recognize it in audio.

A difficulty, no doubt. I don't know what kind of transcripts/audio you've been working with, but one thing that comes to mind is finding audiobooks to match the books you're reading and listening to the audiobook while reading along (I did this with Dutch because I was having a similar difficulty, due to my poor grasp of the Dutch orthography). I imagine you might run into problems with scarcity of resources, unfortunately. I found matching Librivox and Gutenberg files online, but the selection appears to be more limited for Danish.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6520 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 12
23 May 2012 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Corinwright1994 wrote:
P.s would you say in a new routine reaching the burn out phase might actually make you feel like you are progressing slower, even if you aren't?

I will also have a look at some of those links! :-)
Yes, certainly.

Well, you're the best judge of what works for you and what doesn't. I feel your pain, I mostly just watch football in Danish hehe. Also found all the Harry Potter audiobooks online. Spanish can sort of compensate for this lack of resources though :) Also, try to find some music in Danish that you like.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version