10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
marklewis1234
United States
Joined 5237 days ago

32 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 10
02 June 2012 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
This might sound a bit strange, but I have recently started practicing my Spanish speaking skills by simply talking to myself out loud about random topics. Has anyone else used this method and if so, do you think it is usefel? I am a bit concerned that as there is no-one there to provide correction, errors may become consolidated. Obviously I am carrying on with many other methods as well.
Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5458 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 10
02 June 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
How do you practice speaking in such an activity? Is it monologues or repetition of
phrases and the like?

One problem with speaking to oneself is that if you say something that does not make
sense (whether due to pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, etc.), you will not have
someone else available (preferably a native speaker) to attempt to work out what you
mean, as often happens in real-life communication. Such break-downs of communication
which are caused by learners uttering something that is not understandable to a native
speaker of their target language/L2 often provides evidence to the former that they are
getting something wrong in the language, and as a result may lead to them reformulating
their faulty hypothesis they had about the given aspect/matter of the L2. In other
words, by making errors that cause a breakdown in understanding, the learner can begin
to receive feedback that they are making errors and attempt to address them. This
sometimes happens due to another interlocutor recasting what the learner said:

non-NS: I buyed a nice book yesterday
NS:      You bought a nice book?
non-NS:   Yeah, I bought a nice book.

Here it could be that the NNS did not know that 'buy' is an irregular verb and has
regualarised it.    However, the NS recasts the NNS's statement to confirm what the NS
meant. In turn, the NNS then corrects himself and perhaps learns that his utterance
was faulty. Such a negotiation of meaning can even occur by the NS telling a NNS that
he does not understand what he's saying resulting in the learner trying to reach an
understanding with his interlocutor if possible.

In sum, speaking to oneself lacks the beneficial feedback (as opposed to error
correction) and comprehensible input that is received in meaningful communicative
activities, such as interactions with native speakers. Practising monologues and
imaginary conversations may assist in making speech more automised/fluent (by 'fluent'
I refer to the technical meaning of being able to speaking fluidly, which is distinct
form speaking with accuracy). On the other hand, accuracy in oral language usage will
only come about if one can notice the 'gap' in their L2 knowledge and this often comes
up in real-life communication if the 'gap' is severe enough to cause a break down in
communication. Accuracy can also be increased if you have someone else to point out
your errors, perhaps on certain surface level language issues such as pronunciation and
lexis. Hence, in all speaking to oneself can be utilised in language learning but
should not be implemented as the sole means of improving ones language. To be able to
further assess the actual merits and how efficient they will require further research.
I hope this is has answered your question, if not then feel free to question further.

-To list the main ponts of speaking to oneself in target language:

--Perceived benefits:
---if used for monologues and imaginary conversations may facilitate
automisation/fluency of speech

--Perceived problems:
---unable to receive feedback where learner has faulty understanding of L2, which leads
to learners correcting their erroneous hypotheses of their target language
---learners production of output does not lead to them receiving additional
comprehensible input as is the case in real-life communciation.

Sources:
Gass (1997)
VanPatten and Lee (2003)

Edited by Al-Irelandi on 02 June 2012 at 2:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6520 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 10
02 June 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Some great links here :) See what Arekkusu wrote especally.

In my opinion, as long as you regularly get corrections at least in writing, that's ok for sure.

And actually in my experience, extensive reading helps you get a feel for what sounds natural and what doesn't. 4-5 years ago, I used to write a lot of posts in Finnish and my friend would correct me. She stopped at one point, as she was too busy to be online almost at all. Around the same time, I got LOTR in Finnish and read it. A couple of months later I went back to my uncorrected posts and I could see how to make them sound more natural. this was important for my transition from basic to advanced fluency. So I'd even say as long as you read a lot, you don't risk your errors becoming consolidated :)

Edited by Serpent on 04 June 2012 at 8:16pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

pegasusdba
Germany
twowheelsrule.com
Joined 4486 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: German

Message 4 of 10
04 June 2012 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
yes, there's the possibility that errors could be compounded, but relating it to my own experience, I have mostly focused on books and listened to audio. I have done little conversation and, frankly, I can feel a little reluctant.
Voicing out conversations, or reading aloud simple texts, gets my mouth used to making the sounds and my ears to hearing it echo about the room. Kind of like rehersing for a part in a play.
I say go for it!

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5130 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 10
05 June 2012 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
I've found it extremely useful - definitely one of the main things that's helped me
improve my conversation ability and break out of the intermediate plateau. Yes, in an
ideal world I'd be able to converse with native speakers daily and have them correct
me, but despite all my efforts to find language exchanges, conversation groups, etc.,
that just isn't the reality and I'm lucky if I can talk to a native speaker once or
twice a week. Self-talk as described in Arekkusu's post is the best substitute I've
found. Describing an article or video to yourself lets you find and work on the gaps in
your knowledge, and mimics conversations to some extent because a lot of conversation
is just taking something, explaining it, and giving your thoughts on it, whether the
subject be a film you've seen, one of your interests, a night out, a political event,
or whatever.

Of course, you need to use common sense: accept that it's not the same thing as a real
conversation but simply a better-than-nothing substitute, and don't use it as your only
learning method. I find that since I do a lot of listening and reading I have quite a
good idea for what "sounds right", and if I'm at all unsure about something I'm saying
I'll check it in a dictionary or grammar reference, so I think the mistakes issue is
overstated. Even if I end up making a few mistakes that go uncaught, I'll take that as
an acceptable trade-off for the improvement in self-expression ability.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5272 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 6 of 10
05 June 2012 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I speak to myself every day in Hungarian and it helps me a lot. I have a pocket dictionary with me all the time and as I walk along talking to myself, I check any unknown words and learn them like that. I sometimes hold my mobile phone to my mouth to act like I'm speaking to someone, so that I don't look like too much of a psycho!

So it really helps me with vocabulary and fluency and then I get written corrections here from a very helpful native.
2 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4624 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 7 of 10
08 June 2012 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
I talk to myself whenever I'm alone. Helps immensely. I get enough feedback from chatting and enough input from watching shows etc by now to not be stuck with weird mistakes.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5304 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 10
08 June 2012 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
Here is the link to my post many have referenced: