Joined 4751 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 10
09 June 2012 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
   I sometimes hold my mobile phone to my mouth to act like I'm
speaking to someone, so that I don't look like too much of a psycho!

:-) What you wrote reminded me of the importance (according to some authorities,
anyway) of recording yourself. I'm behind with the technology, but don't MP3 players
often have voice record, so you could hold your voice-recorder to your mouth, and it
would probably look like you were on the phone? (And maybe iphones have this facility
anyway?).

I have recorded my voice a lot in the past (on old fashioned cassette, or more recently
on my computer), but only with languages where I was reasonably competent. The idea of
doing it at beginner level scares me a bit.

1 person has voted this message useful

Matsuemon
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5868 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Japanese, Russian

Message 10 of 10
17 June 2012 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
I think it's really important to try and speak to yourself in the target language. As others have pointed out, you are likely to make a lot of mistakes, so getting some kind of regular correction is essential. However, I've found that many people (including myself at times) are quite good at reading, translating, writing, etc. but freeze up when they try to speak. So it's essential that you get into that frame of mind even if you are making a lot of mistakes. Only be speaking will you train your brain to think quickly. Writing, translating, and even reading won't really do that.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version