bluejay390
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6201 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Malay, Italian

Message 17 of 27
14 June 2012 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
My bedroom kind of acts as my language room. Aside from my bed the rest of the space is
my art studio/study area/language learning area. I have two tables: one for art and one
for my computer and notebooks. All of my books are within arms reach of my computer desk.
I also have a few books on my nightstand next to my bed so I can read before I fall
asleep if I feel like it. On the wall in front of my computer desk I also taped up a
collage of images and print outs, some language related and some not. Just to name a few,
I have a small print out of a map of Europe in German, a print out of clothing vocabulary
in Mongolian, a chart of the Devanagari script, and some pages from a Spanish magazine on
my wall.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kevin Hsu
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4661 days ago

60 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English, Mandarin*, Korean
Studies: German

Message 18 of 27
15 June 2012 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
I want a very large desk that will fit all the books that I study from and a desktop
computer with which I can skype chat for language exchange. I'd prefer it if the room is
about the size of a spacious living room, because then I'd be able to fit in a high
resolution TV in there as well, for watching drama.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5268 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 19 of 27
15 June 2012 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Do you have a Language Room?

I do. Though for other people it simply goes by the name of apartment.
5 persons have voted this message useful

catullus_roar
Quadrilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4491 days ago

89 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Malay, Hokkien*, English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese*, French, German, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Latin, Armenian, Afrikaans, Russian

Message 20 of 27
15 June 2012 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
Haha, I find it best to study at the dining table. (Weird, I know.) I actually have this huge messy shelf full of language materials, but I need 1) a really big table and 2) a lot of fresh, open air to study without actually being outdoors. So, I use the dining table.

My dining area basically opens out to the balcony of my apartment, with sliding doors that I keep open, and curtains that I keep partially closed to block the sun. Hence, I get a fresh cool breeze blowing in at me, with a large round table to spread my stuff everywhere. I find that it's better to grab some materials off The Shelf and then study, or I'll get distracted with all my other books and whatnot. The large size of the table is also good because I need to strew everything messily to focus.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4751 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 21 of 27
16 June 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
catullus_roar wrote:
Haha, I find it best to study at the dining table. (Weird, I
know.) I actually have this huge messy shelf full of language materials, but I need 1)
a really big table and 2) a lot of fresh, open air to study without actually being
outdoors. So, I use the dining table.

Pretty much what I have (although it's a kitchen-diner, which is handy for frequent
caffeine etc. top-ups :-)). Large book-case to one side which has become pretty much my
language "shelf". French doors|windows on the other side, so I can get fresh air and/or
a view if I want it. Sun hasn't been much in evidence unfortunately so far in England!

mick33
United States
Joined 5847 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 22 of 27
16 June 2012 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
My language learning room is just my bedroom for now and it's not a well organized language room. When I have bigger home or apartment then I could plan to have a separate room for language learning that's probably something like what simonov described.

Edited by mick33 on 16 June 2012 at 5:27am

fortheo
United States
Joined 4959 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 23 of 27
16 June 2012 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
No, I dont have one, but I really want one now.

I would like a room with a book shelf, A white board, A window with a relaxing view, A desk with ample space for me to have my laptop in front of me while I write in a notebook at the same time, comfy lounge chairs, and a fridge with plenty to drink.

I also want the wall paper of my house to be various pictures from various sources with the relevant Japanese kanji characters on the pictures.

Edited by fortheo on 16 June 2012 at 11:03am

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5341 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 24 of 27
16 June 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
I tend to find that I don't study too well in my bedroom. It kind of makes sense as most of the time I spend in there is to either relax or sleep, so a psychological association gets built up which can make it tricky to get in the right state of mind for studying. This affects people to greater or lesser extents, unfortunately for me I find I need to study somewhere other than my room to get much done.

Would love to have my own room dedicated to language study.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version