Joined 4751 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 25 of 27
18 June 2012 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
I tend to find that I don't study too well in my bedroom. It
kind of makes sense as most of the time I spend in there is to either relax or sleep,
so a psychological association gets built up which can make it tricky to get in the
right state of mind for studying. This affects people to greater or lesser extents,
unfortunately for me I find I need to study somewhere other than my room to get much
done.

Could work the other way too; if one gets used to studying (or other kind of work) in
the bedroom, one might not be able to relax properly and get a good night's sleep.

My wife studies various subjects (Spanish for fun but other courses in a more serious
vein) and uses the bedroom a lot, when she's not on the computer in a spare room.
That wouldn't work for me at all, so we have a good division of the house, with her
upstairs and me downstairs in the kitchen-diner :-) (But it means I have to make and
supply the tea from time to time :-) ).

1 person has voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5341 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 26 of 27
18 June 2012 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
I tend to find that I don't study too well in my bedroom. It
kind of makes sense as most of the time I spend in there is to either relax or sleep,
so a psychological association gets built up which can make it tricky to get in the
right state of mind for studying. This affects people to greater or lesser extents,
unfortunately for me I find I need to study somewhere other than my room to get much
done.

Could work the other way too; if one gets used to studying (or other kind of work) in
the bedroom, one might not be able to relax properly and get a good night's sleep.

My wife studies various subjects (Spanish for fun but other courses in a more serious
vein) and uses the bedroom a lot, when she's not on the computer in a spare room.
That wouldn't work for me at all, so we have a good division of the house, with her
upstairs and me downstairs in the kitchen-diner :-) (But it means I have to make and
supply the tea from time to time :-) ).

Indeed, from what I have read from scientists who perform sleep studies, those who use their bedroom solely as a place of relaxation, rest and sleep will generally have better sleep patterns than those who also spend a lot of time in the same room doing stimulating mental work. If you have a desk you can work at in the bedroom though this does help diminish problems with sleep as it is best to create a solid association of using your bed for sleep rather than as a multifunctional platform for studying and the like. Beds should be for two things; sleep and another highly enjoyable activity for two which needs no explaining. :p

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5132 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 27
18 June 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

...Faced with the prospect of an imminent move, I'm considering fixing up a language room. I
might paint all the walls with "white board" paint, and put a table in the middle for
lessons with a tutor, maybe speakers, etc. Any ideas?

Lots of bookshelves for all your language books, of course; but perhaps also leave room on the wall for a map or
two: either a world map, or several country-specific maps of regions where they speak your target languages.

Having all the walls in white-board paint could make for a very glossy and perhaps even clinical room,
Arekkusu. You know your own taste, of course, but if you wanted to try a softer approach you might like to
consider starting with just a few boards or panels. Or, if you wanted to try a chalkboard rather than dry-erase
board, chalkboard paint can also come in tintable colours, giving you a wider range of colour options for your
room.

Martha Stewart ideas for chalkboard designs. http://www.marthastewart.com/271574/custom-color-
chalkboard-paint

Rustoleum paints. http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=168

(Please copy and paste, removing any spaces inserted by the forum software.)

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version