Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 4
11 June 2012 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm about to start adding Japanese sentences to Anki but I thought I'd ask for opinions
first so I don't miss any good ideas and have to go through everything again.

I'm planning to put the sentence in English on the front and in Japanese on the back in
both Kanji and kana. I also want to keep track of where each sentence comes from (in
case I ever need to go back and check anything).

I've already entered some sentences manually and I can highlight different parts of
speech in different colours and so on. I imagine that adding pictures or sounds is
straightforward too.

I'd like to know whether perhaps I should add an extra field (under Deck Properties)
for the sentence in kana and another field for the source information. If I did that,
how could I see the kana sentence instead of (or in addition to) the kanji sentence? Or
is that not what fields are for?

I'd also like to know whether an additional field is a good way to track (for example)
provenance (or perhaps "hardness" such as JLPT level).

1 person has voted this message useful

NuclearGorilla
Diglot
United States
Joined 6709 days ago

166 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 2 of 4
12 June 2012 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
To start, I'll recommend the Japanese Support plugin (look for it in the Download>Shared Add-ons menu). This should allow, among other things, the use of furigana by following kanji with the kana in square brackets. It will even generate the furigana, as well, if you handle it properly.

As for tracking sources as well as levels and the like, while you could add extra fields, tags are a more flexible way to handle this.

Adding a separate field for the kana-only version of the sentence is a fine idea. In order to change how the cards display, you'll want to edit the Card Layout (there's a button for it in the card browser). {{Field}} would display a field named Field in that place.

Since it might help you come up with some ideas of your own, I'll share what I have for a Japanese vocabulary deck. For each item, I have: the word I'm testing, as I found it (in kanji or kana); a definition of the word in English; the word with furigana added for the kanji; the sentence where the word was found; the sentence, with furigana. I put the word and the sentence, without furigana, on the front, and the furigana-ized versions, as well as the definition, on the back. I use this to test coming up with the reading for the word as well as the meaning. I have a tag which indicates the source material.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 3 of 4
14 June 2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the ideas.

I've added a 3rd field (Kana) and moved the kana into it. I downloaded the hint-peeking
plugin but so far I cannot get it to display the Kana field (either that or my "r" key
isn't working :-)).

I can change the layout to let me type in kana, but I don't seem to be able to get the
kana to display as a hint.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 4 of 4
15 June 2012 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
It turns out that I needed to download the Japanese Support plugin.

Now I have a "Japanese" model with Expression (which I use for English), Meaning (which I
use for Japanese) and Reading (which has the kana version of the sentence).

I think I'll play around a bit and try out your idea of "word in kanji plus sentence" on
the front and "definition + English + kana" on the back.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version