theallstar
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5733 days ago

81 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 9 of 26
09 November 2009 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
I also have to recommend the iPhone for the same reasons as Captain Haddock. I love the ability to have multiple keyboards available at the touch of a button, dictionaries wherever I go and especially the fact that I can have my phone's language set to Japanese. Apps wise I mainly have a dictionaries on it (even for languages I may never learn!). The Japanese dictionary "Kotoba!" is excellent - and free. I'm still waiting for an Anki app to be released (I've not quite got the guts to unlock my iPhone) but the online Anki pages are fine through Safari.
1 person has voted this message useful

alunap
Scotland
Joined 5654 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin, French

Message 10 of 26
24 November 2009 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
I did use 'Nihongo' dictionary, but 'Japanese' is absolutely excellent and keeps getting better. I love it that you can
easily look up by Kanji as well. I also use the Collins/Ultralingua french/english dictionary and the AED English
dictionary.

I use the new Smart.fm app for keeping up with my iKnow goals on the move. I also use iKanji, Kanji Fuda, Katsuyo
(for verbs) and byki for a flashcard system. Of course there are lots of podcasts too, eg by Alliance Française.

I also use various book readers, including Stanza, which gives me (free) translations of things like Sherlock Holmes.

Wouldn't be without the iPhone.

Rmss
Triglot
Spain
spanish-only.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6495 days ago

234 posts - 248 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 11 of 26
25 November 2009 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Today I did a jailbreak for my iPhone and installed AnkiMini. If you're an ANki fan and have an iPhone/iPod touch I recommened jailbreaking it and installing AnkiMini. It has pretty much all the features you need, including audio support.

alunap
Scotland
Joined 5654 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 12 of 26
25 November 2009 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't recommend jailbreaking it unless you know about computers. In particular, don't do that, install SSH, and
then forget to change the default password! That's just leaving the key in the lock, as we've seen recently.

I'm not saying that you don't, Rmss, just a general warning to readers.

Rmss
Triglot
Spain
spanish-only.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6495 days ago

234 posts - 248 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 13 of 26
25 November 2009 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
True, and I have to admit that I have a degree in computer sciences. But jailbreaking is so easy nowadays and so is changing your SSH password, that it's absolutely worth to jailbreak your phone (or let do it).

alunap
Scotland
Joined 5654 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 14 of 26
25 November 2009 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Yes, but there are 100,000 audited apps available for it already. Jailbreaking sometimes goes wrong, there have
been reports of problems with safari not connecting via wifi, or the multitouch screen acting up, or the phone
locking up altogether; and of course the warranty is then void. There are SRS apps available already, and I gather
Anki is also on its way.

As you say, you know what you are doing, have weighed up the pros and cons, and decided to go ahead. And you
would know something about security and not make the mess up that these guys that are now being targeted by a
worm made. Not everyone is in that position, though, so thought it worth the warning.

kf4ebp
United States
Joined 5536 days ago

13 posts - 18 votes
Studies: English*, German

Message 15 of 26
14 December 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I'm doing just fine with the Pimsleur course on a samsung smart phone. I had to install a better player than Windows Media Player though.

I installed an open source player called GSPlayer. It allows one button play/pause. I can start the lesson and I never have to do anything other than keep my finger on one button.

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6273 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 16 of 26
15 December 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
I used iFlipr on my iPhone 3G because I didn't want to jailbreak it in order to install
Anki, however I really enjoyed using the software. The battery tends to die pretty
quickly, especially when I am using applications, so I recommend buying a portable
charger if you plan to use the iPhone. The ability to switch between languages and the
availability of a multitude of dictionaries definitively are definitively big advantages.
I often have to delete applications and audio because my 8GB drive tends to get filled
very fast. However, the 3GS has a lot more storage. Reading PDFs and browsing the web
should not be a problem with any model.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version