4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 1 of 22
20 October 2010 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
I think this ebook is useful for us.

Success with Foreign Languages: Seven who achieved it and what worked for them
by Earl W. Stevick

This book contains Earl Stevick's analysis of the strategies used by seven successful language learners and the implications for becoming a more successful language learner yourself. There are extensive excerpts from taped interviews with the seven learners, with Stevick's comments on the strategies and beliefs of the various learners. The book ends with Stevick's summary of what we can learn from the experiences of these learners. This book shows the diversity of approaches and beliefs that can be held by successful language learners and can provide suggestions for strategies that may work for you.

http://www.sil.org/lingualinks/languagelearning/booksbackinp rint/successwithforeignlanguages/success.pdf

6 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 7037 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 22
20 October 2010 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
I think this ebook is useful for us.

Indeed it is/was/has been.

Four years ago and not the first time...

Edited by Andy E on 20 October 2010 at 11:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5331 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 3 of 22
20 October 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for this. I wasn't on this forum four years ago so it's nice to have these things rehashed every once in a while.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 7037 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 4 of 22
20 October 2010 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
BiaHuda wrote:
Gơod luck trying to find what your looking for?

Luck doesn't come into it. It's called google.

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5481 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 22
20 October 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
just found this by accident, no idea if it iis any good or not

Polyglot; How I learn languages by Kato Lomb

Jim

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5364 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 6 of 22
20 October 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
I really enjoyed Kato Lomb's book and heartily recommend it for self-study linguaphiles. The Stevick book is aimed at the academic market and is filled with lots study points for teachers and students. It has plenty of interesting material, but the thing that irritates me a bit is the lack of a) examples in the various foreign languages and b) any sense of how well the seven students speak the various languages mentioned. I'm a bit of a stickler for these issues because I am a tad skeptical when I see claims about foreign-language skills. I'm not doubting the veracity of the claims made in the book; it's just that I'd like to see more real examples.

On this last question, it makes me think of all those Youtube videos of polyglots speaking in various tongues to the camera. I would definitely prefer to see these same polyglots speaking with native speakers in front of the camera.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5279 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 7 of 22
20 October 2010 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
There isn't much mystery to learning a language, just pick up a textbook and work through it.

People can achieve more by simply sitting down and studying a language rather than wasting time reading about studying a language. Much less an ebook, which will fry your eyes.
6 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5364 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 8 of 22
20 October 2010 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
There isn't much mystery to learning a language, just pick up a textbook and work through it.

People can achieve more by simply sitting down and studying a language rather than wasting time reading about studying a language. Much less an ebook, which will fry your eyes.

True, there isn't much mystery to learning anything, just grab a textbook and study it. Why bother with classes? Instead of having classes, schools could just hand out textbooks and tell students to come back in three months for a test. Why even bother having teachers?

The only problem with this grand idea is that it doesn't work for everybody. The majority of people who pick up a textbook--and in my observation most self-study methods-- to learn a language give up quickly. For all sorts of reasons, of course. It could be sheer laziness. Maybe a textbook is not the best way for certain self-study students. This was certainly one of the main points of the Stevick book. I suggest people make a little effort to read the book (you can print it and read it) and look at the various learning strategies of these successful people. You can also see what works and then decide what is the best strategy for you.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version