Old Chemist
United Kingdom
Joined 5108 days ago

227 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 9 of 22
20 October 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
There seem to be at least two types of thinking about the language learning and the future, the vague "I'll learn Russian by June" and the "Day 1: I will learn about how to introduce myself in Russian and say what nationality I am; Day 2: I will learn how to ask how someone is ..." and so on. Obviously the second is much more likely to be a successful approach, but you have to be very organized and someone who enjoys making do-lists to this well. The first type of thinker can hand over responsibility to a book, a teacher, a language course, etc., but then needs the motivation to carry on. This is the true difficulty, maintaining the effort against the blizzard of things we have to get on with in our lives. I have reached a crossroads in my life in that I need to take control of my language learning, job, health - all aspects of my life and I think I will have to adopt the second way, that of list-makiing and breaking everything down into simple steps. This doesn't come naturally, but I will have to do it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 22
21 October 2010 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
There's a third type, too, who doesn't set goals at all. I just enjoy studying languages and do it for fun. So far it's worked pretty well. It seems to me that you only need to set goals and work towards them if you don't actually want to study languages (but rather want to be able to speak them). Luckily, I find the process of learning a language more rewarding than actually knowing them (Lord knows I have no use for my French at all).

Old Chemist
United Kingdom
Joined 5108 days ago

227 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 11 of 22
21 October 2010 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
There's a third type, too, who doesn't set goals at all. I just enjoy studying languages and do it for fun. So far it's worked pretty well. It seems to me that you only need to set goals and work towards them if you don't actually want to study languages (but rather want to be able to speak them). Luckily, I find the process of learning a language more rewarding than actually knowing them (Lord knows I have no use for my French at all).

Sorry, Ari, that's what I meant by the first type as you presumably must have this goal, i.e. to study a language. I am this type too, but I have found it's not made me fluent. When I was younger and for other subjects I found it did work for me, but not now.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 12 of 22
21 October 2010 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
It is a useful book, though pre-Internet, so none of the people interviewed mention that as a help (or hindrance).

I first read this book in my university library, which had a copy of it.

It underlines for me how different language learners are, and how diverse are their methods.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 22
22 October 2010 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
I would put myself in both camps (insofar that is possible). When I have decided to learn a language I work hard to get to the point where I can read texts and understand speech (TV, podcast or living persons during my travels), and ideally I want to mark that I have 'arrived' by doing a monolingual travel (though with some languages that may be difficult due to the lack of a suitable community) - but I don't set myself higher goals than that. Maybe I'll get further as a consequence of my activities in a certain language, but I have no plans to become a spy anywhere so I don't have to write or speak like a native (you can judge my level in different languages in my videos at Youtube, but I'm not really interested in hearing the result).

During the 'conquest' I use structured methods, but it is quite erratic which languages I choose to spend my time on a certain day, and for how long. Maybe I find something on the internet or on TV, or I just feel like doing wordlists in Greek or Irish. Basically I'm a control freak in my study methods, but a complete anarchist in my time planning. And I can permit myself this kind of study because it all just is a hobby for me.

Edited by Iversen on 22 October 2010 at 12:20am

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5280 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 14 of 22
22 October 2010 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
True, there isn't much mystery to learning anything, just grab a textbook and study it. Why bother with classes? Instead of having classes, schools could just hand out textbooks and tell students to come back in three months for a test. Why even bother having teachers?

Actually, that would be my dream university. For me, a textbook with exercises WITH ANSWERS is an ideal way to learn anything.

As I've said elsewhere, everyone needs to experiment and find the learning method that works best for them. But still, spending too much time pondering how to learn a language rather than actually engaging in language study can be foolish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 15 of 22
22 October 2010 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
But still, spending too much time pondering how to learn a language rather than actually engaging in language study can be foolish.

I read and listen about learning languages in other languages than my native languages.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6517 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 16 of 22
22 October 2010 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The only problem with this grand idea is that it doesn't work for everybody. The majority of people who pick up a textbook--and in my observation most self-study methods-- to learn a language give up quickly. For all sorts of reasons, of course. It could be sheer laziness.

I'm not sure this is what you're saying, but I've met arguments like this before and there's a fallacy. Because not everyone can learn languages on their own, language classes are necessary. Of course, just because a lot of people fail learning languages on their own doesn't mean they will do better in classes. I don't think I've met anyone who learned a language in class without large amounts of complimentary self-study.

I studied French for six years in school, with decent grades, and I still emerged without being even close to being able to hold a conversation (in fact, I was probably a lot like most Chinese people speaking English). I figured that if I didn't learn properly, it'd all been a waste of time, so I took a full-time class for six months. This full-time class consisted of two lessons a week, which were mainly for asking questions and discussing. All the studying was done at home. After this class, I considered myself fluent (as in being able to speak without hesitation and stumbling) in French. Of course, lots of students dropped the class because they couldn't take it. I'm not sure they'd done better in a different kind of class, though.

Swedish school children have to study a third language in school in what must be the most extravagant waste of tax money in the country. I have yet to meet anyone who learned to speak French or German (the most common choices available) through these classes. Everyone studied it, nobody can speak it. That's a pretty massive failure rate.

Eh. Rant over. Sorry, was this too OT?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version