Michael K.
United States
Joined 5660 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 1 of 22
14 January 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure a lot of people here have heard of the YouTube polyglot community and some probably have channels.

I want to know if anyone has benefitted from posting videos and getting feedback on their skills in their language.

One concern I have is the trolling, since YouTube is unmoderated and people on the Internet are usually not as friendly as people on this forum. There are ways around this, I'm sure.

I'm mainly interested in using it as a learning tool, but I'd be interested in the perspectives of people who have used it to teach or discuss languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5346 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 2 of 22
14 January 2012 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't be concerned about "trolling"—it's often a consequence of perception rather than intent. Besides, as the uploader of any video, you have the ability to delete any of the comments you wish. You even have the right to prevent comments from being posted until you approve them, if you're really paranoid about it.

The most important thing to remember is to constantly and explicitly stress that you consider yourself a learner of these languages. That way, you'll be able to avoid the passionate wrath of those who will pounce upon what they consider to be a false facade of polyglotery. As on this forum, there are people who hate people who pretend to know languages they don't actually know.

But be prepared for over-earnest native speakers crushing your spirit by offering a deluge of "helpful" constructive comments. Again, they aren't trolling—they just don't like to see their language mangled. :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5660 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 3 of 22
15 January 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, nway. I sort of figured some trolling was a result of intent and not actual skill in a video, but you never know.

I've seen plenty of language users on YouTube complain about trolling, even Iversen and Glossika complained about it, so you never know.

Of course, if I get 50 views just starting out, I'd consider it good. There may not be that many comments, either.

Edited by Michael K. on 15 January 2012 at 1:18pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6634 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 22
16 January 2012 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Personally I have only had one really bad case of trolling (where I had to block one person from my channel), but I'm in the lucky situation that I have quite few listerners, and most comments seem to come from people who actually are interested in languages. Those criticisms I have received are generally wellfounded. For instance it is a simple fact that my Portuguese video is mumbled rather than spoken, and that my accent in languages I normally never speak and rarely hear can't be top notch.

However I have seen lots of grotesquely insulting comments to videos in other channels, and 'polyglots' are not even the area that has been hardest hit by trolls - music videos sometimes are commented in terms that ought to put the perpetrators permanently behind bars at a psychiatric institution.

So why make those videos in the first place? Actually I waited for a long time, but then bowed to concrete wishes for a demonstration of my word list method. After the first series about language learning methods I decided to make and publish videos in all my target languages as some sort of pledge of allegiance to those languages, and also to mark how far I had got in each language. In the case of Latin with the added intention of doing my share to mark that this can be a spoken language, not something only used for reading, and in the case of Scots and Platt to mark that they aren't by law reserved for native speakers.

As I said I'm glad that my channel is viewed by relatively few people because I then have less risk of attracting trolls who just want to pour out their venomous comments about something - nevermind what. Their comments will be read by far more people if they publish them as unwanted appendices to popular videos.   

Edited by Iversen on 17 January 2012 at 12:59am

4 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6850 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 

Message 5 of 22
16 January 2012 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
There is a LOT of good language-learning stuff on YouTube, but sometimes you have to sort through a lot of garbage to get there.

Check out my YouTube page (link on the left) where I have favorited a lot of good videos and I have over 100 channels that I subscribe to and recommend.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5813 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 6 of 22
16 January 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
There is an option in Youtube to allow comment publication only after your approval.

As far as I remember, you must set it for each video individually.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6606 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 7 of 22
16 January 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
I have two channels and I only had one message insulting to me. I deleted it and blocked the user. I do not show my face and I think is less interesting for this kind of people, but you get less traffic.

As far as I know, you can have problems like trolling, insults or more extreme situations if you have a huge success. I mean channels with thousands and thousands of subscribers.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5660 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 8 of 22
17 January 2012 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Great, thanks, everyone. I subscribed to slucido & translator2's channels and look forward to looking at their content.

I guess one thing that I'm worried about if I make a video showing my face is that I'm fat. I used to weigh 190 lbs. but due to medicine I was taking I gained well over 100 lbs. I'm pretty self-conscious about it, like a lot of fat people are about their weight, and that is probably the one thing trolls would use to pick on me. So far no one in real life has made fun for my weight.

Insulting people on the Internet is pretty lame, though. I'm glad to hear YouTube isn't swarming with trolls like I thought.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version