youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5346 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 9 of 22
17 January 2012 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
I've got a YouTube channel too, but it's all music—no languages. :P

(There would be polyglot material, if only I could sing...)

As for your appearance, I think as long as you've got a positive and humble attitude, you'll do fine. Trolls are essentially desperate for attention, so they look for videos with thousands upon thousands of views. Starting out, the only viewers you'll attract are those who are genuinely interested in the content and couldn't have found your videos without actually exploring through layers of language-topic videos.

That said, there's always the option to get creative with your presentation, and maybe show only content (no direct video footage of you) ala 'khanacademy' (whose videos are all blank blackboards that he writes on via a Tablet computer) or LiberalViewer (who, last time I checked, only shows text in his videos). Heck, perhaps you could just feature a stream of pictures of cute kittens while you discuss auxiliary verb usage in French grammar...
1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6606 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 10 of 22
17 January 2012 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:

I guess one thing that I'm worried about if I make a video showing my face is that I'm fat. I used to weigh 190 lbs. but due to medicine I was taking I gained well over 100 lbs. I'm pretty self-conscious about it, like a lot of fat people are about their weight, and that is probably the one thing trolls would use to pick on me. So far no one in real life has made fun for my weight.

Insulting people on the Internet is pretty lame, though. I'm glad to hear YouTube isn't swarming with trolls like I thought.

Thank you, Michael.

It doesn't matter what you look like. I have seen insults or stupid comments against anyone.

You can start with videos without showing your face, with a blackborard, power point or open impress to test the waters.

Don't forget that those are free videos, social media... It is not a serious business...

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5660 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 11 of 22
17 January 2012 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, guys.

The one thing that I'm missing is confidence. I think you need to be pretty confident to put yourself out there on YouTube.

I'm on the fence about making videos, but I would like to do it because I think it would be helpful. I might ask Moses McCormick about it and see what his opinion is.

Personally I was just thinking of ignoring comments unless I knew the commenter. I haven't made any videos yet, but I have 4 subscribers, and one is a Texan professor of Spanish named alkantre (Peter Browne). I would appreciate his feedback.

SueK
Groupie
United States
Joined 4682 days ago

77 posts - 133 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 22
17 January 2012 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Michael, I'm fat too. Sounds like you and I are in about the same ballpark. I really, really get where your coming from. I have a medical condition that causes obesity and I got sick of fighting it at some point. I hate when people see me like this for the first time, or worse, if they knew me skinny and are seeing me this way the first time.

That said, get out there and do your thing!!! Don't let a fear of small minded people stop you, they don't deserve to win and the rest of us shouldn't be deprived of you as a resource because of them.

So what if they say you're fat? You know it, you know why. Yep, it would hurt, but not so much as to be worth the fear of it's happening to keep you from doing what you want.

I mean really, if someone looks at you and I and the best they can come up with is a lame fat comment are they worth thinking two minutes about? Hey - did you ever see Steve Martin in Roxanne? When he does the jokes about his own nose??? I don't expect you to do anything like that, but think about the end impression of the guy who made the comment in the first place, what a loser! Right? If someone comments, remember, they're just a loser, trying to make themselves more by stepping on you. Delete the comment and move on, they aren't worth anything more than that and certainly aren't worth going out of your way to avoid.

Best of luck!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5600 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 22
17 January 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Thanks, guys.

The one thing that I'm missing is confidence. I think you need to be pretty confident to put yourself out there on YouTube.

I have a youtube channel. I am an old guy, with a balding head, a double chin, and very geeky personality. Plus, I am not very sociable in general. Nor am I particularly brilliant at languages. Despite all this, I decided to make videos for two reasons:

1: It forces me to think things through in advance, so that I don't just ramble on. This benefits me, since it make my own thoughts clearer. Without the videos to force me to do this, I would probably be far more lazy.

2: There are some things that I don't see anybody else making videos about, but that I think are helpful to others. So, it is more "filling a gap" than saying "hey, look at me".

So long are you are sure why you are making videos, then you can't get too upset about the occasional nasty comment: since few of them are "I disagree with that concept for the following reasons". Rather, they tend to be "Your accent sucks" or very occasionally "You are ugly". Now, both of those things may be true, but I keep reminding myself they are irrelevant to the video itself and so try to ignore them.

My wife pointed out to me something that helped: if you were walking down the street and some skinhead shouted "You look like a freak" it wouldn't bother you so much. So why does some anonymous person on the internet sting more than that skinhead? I think back to that when I get a nasty comment and it takes the sting away a little.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5660 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 14 of 22
17 January 2012 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, SueK & Splog. And Splog, you're much too hard on yourself, I really enjoy your videos.

The one thing I'm going to do is compliment the other users on YouTube more. Even if it's just "thanks for making the video" or "I enjoyed it, keep making more" I think the other user would appreciate it, I know I would if someone said that on one of my videos. Like Ben Franklin said, we must hang together or surely we will hang separately.

If you haven't guessed it by now, I'm timid & pretty sensitive to criticism. I know I shouldn't let some idiot on YouTube get me down just because they insulted me. Sometimes when I post on this forum I don't even read the responses because I think someone might be too critical of what I said, and this is a friendly, well-moderated forum.

I sent a message to Moses. Since I don't have much privacy at home I'm thinking about reserving a room at the library where I could make videos.   

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5660 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 15 of 22
16 April 2012 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
Moses McCormick made a video response:

Benefits of a YouTube Language channel

He pretty much stated what everyone else said, but also talked about some of the ways he has personally benefited from starting his channel.

And no, I'm not mad at him for just getting back to me now.

NewLanguageGuy
Groupie
France
youtube.com/NewLangu
Joined 4538 days ago

74 posts - 134 votes 

Message 16 of 22
16 April 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I created mine simple to practice speaking, and ask natives for advice on my accent.

It is also good fun!

Trolling is only a problem if you let it be. These keyboard warriors exist in any internet community, and are best simply ignored.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version