Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
46 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5193 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 41 of 46
11 April 2012 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Learning a language is an individual challenge. There are many paths one can take in language learning. I don't use srs and have been successful without it. To each his/her own. If it works for you, good for you, anki your heart out. There is no "one" way to learn a language. If you don't like srs, there's nothing wrong with that. If you do like it, there's nothing wrong with that either. It's ok either way.
1 person has voted this message useful

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5472 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 42 of 46
11 April 2012 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:
Could you please elaborate a bit on what you said about memrise? In what
way is
different from Anki? Not that I've ever used Anki, but I'm familiar with SRS in
general.
Is memrise supposed to be general knowledge now, just like Anki has been thus far? I
hate it when I have to do a research just to understand a single post.

Memrise is an SRS platform, the way that it is
drastically different than Anki, and most of the other SRS software applications, is
that it tests you in different ways. Some times you'll be tested in a multiple choice
format, sometimes you'll be asked to type in the answer, etc.

As to the rest of your reply, about beating the straw-man argument, my point is that
people need to understand and accept that everyone has different learning styles. This
seems like a very elementary concept to me but, but it clearly isn't for other people
or institutions (think educational systems).

For instance, a few years ago I started a thread asking for alternatives to SRS.
I wasn't trying to vent, I was merely asking for alternatives. The majority of the responses that I got were along the lines of "Well SRS should work for you, you just
aren't trying hard enough/haven't given it a chance." People need to understand that
SRS is not the end all be all and that it won't work for everyone.

Javi
Spain
Joined 5912 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 43 of 46
11 April 2012 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
I guess I won't have a clear idea of what it's about until I have it a go, but the idea
of different alternatives for a single card really appeals to me. Problem is that
memrise seems to be just another web app, application in the cloud or whatever fancy
name they may come up with. I'm not willing to use that for anything long-term. I think
it's actually delusional to do so.

aokoye
Diglot
Joined 5472 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 

Message 44 of 46
12 April 2012 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Javi wrote:
I guess I won't have a clear idea of what it's about until I have it a
go, but the idea
of different alternatives for a single card really appeals to me. Problem is that
memrise seems to be just another web app, application in the cloud or whatever fancy
name they may come up with. I'm not willing to use that for anything long-term. I think
it's actually delusional to do so.

I mean it's your decision as to whether or not to use it, but, like you said, you don't
have a clear idea of what it is. It's not a cloud application (by definition), it's a
web app that uses SRS in a similar way that smart.fm did/does. I could say a lot more
about the "fancy web app" bit but that is completely and utterly unrelated to the topic
at hand. Needless to say, it works for me and Anki doesn't which is fine with me.

The only worry I have is that the company that runs the site could go under. Otherwise
I don't see how it would be any more "delusional" (an interesting choice of words) than
using Anki long term.

Javi
Spain
Joined 5912 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 45 of 46
12 April 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Really? You could use your current version of Anki for the rest of your life, or at
least for as long as technical issues like backwards compatibility make it reasonably
possible, but on the other hand you have no guarantee that you will be able to use
memrise in 10 minutes time. In the best case scenario you could possible get your flash
cards back, but the learning data will be lost for sure. I find it hard to imagine a
bigger difference.
2 persons have voted this message useful

aokoye
Diglot
Joined 5472 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 

Message 46 of 46
12 April 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
If you read my post more carefully that is essentially what I said:

"The only worry I have is that the company that runs the site could go under."

All that said. The whole point is that Anki doesn't work for anyone. I would offer that
it is possibly more "delusional" for one to you Anki, or any other system, if it flat out
doesn't work.

The whole point of my original post is for people to stop being so, seemingly,
self-righteous and accept the fact that people don't always learn in the same way that
they do. Clearly I didn't get that point across to everyone but, such is life.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version