Diglot
United States
Joined 5339 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 16
23 March 2012 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere but I didn't see it. But as I am completely amazed by the language learning potential of this game, I feel I absolutely have to post it regardless.

For those of you who have heard of Skyrim, it is one of most highly rated games of recent memory. It is essentially a near sandbox, extremely open-ended RPG fantasy game, with many hundreds of hours of content. The makers of Skyrim are well known amongst gamers for building gaming worlds that are the absolute most massive in existence. As it is a relatively new game, it does take a fairly new computer with an okay graphics card to run.

Regarding language learning .. which makes this THE most ridiculous game (by FAR) I've ever experienced regarding language learning is that through the Steam client which is installed for this game you can play the game in many different major languages. And when I mean play the game in different languages ... I mean MASSIVE audio (complete foreign audio for the entire game, in which speech is ever-present as NPCs you interact with are everwhere) in foreign languages AS WELL as full subtitles options in those same languages for ALL speech.

Playing in Japanese, I have the option of listening to the game in Japanese (or English), and having English (or Japanese) subtitles ... in any combination I choose.

What makes this game truly extraordinary is that it has full in game audio in different languages (an amount of which is truly massive, the amount of voice talent in different languages must have cost them an enormous amount of money ... I feel the Japanese actors are actually BETTER than the English actor version) and complete subtitle availability in those same languages exist. With ownership of the game, one can switch clients to any of the languages available as well, no need to buy different versions of the game.

By switching the steam client to a particular language (Japanese for example) the game automatically downloads the game files specific for that language and you can then cut and paste out the audio files, reload the client back in English and allow it to switch the client (and subtitles) back to English and then paste back in the Japanese audio (or whichever language you choose) files afterwards. You can then use English subtitles if you wish (or leave the client in Japanese if you wish to use no subtitles or Japanese ones).

You will want to check the languages available (I looked it up and it seemed languages like Spanish, French, German, were all available), but the list I've seen was amazing. Personally I have been playing the game with Japanese audio and English subtitles. But as I said, one could easily switch to Japanese subtitles or take out subtitles altogether. The specific audio and the specific subtitle choice is free to choose (although the subtitle choice will coincide with the game client language).

If anyone gives it a try, the language files to cut out and paste back in later are:

Skyrim - Voices.bsa
Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

I only promise full compatability with Japanese, as I haven't yet tried others ... but from their language list it seems like it is a very long list. I'm not interested in being tech support in this thread, but I will help if I can. Information should exist on the interwebs.

For those of you who think this is just a positive game review concerning languages, I want you to realize this is different. Skyrim is an enormous game of such massive depth that one could spend an entire year playing, essentially living in an alternative fantasy universe. It is almost universally rated as a top 10 game of all time.

Edited by Sandman on 25 March 2012 at 10:54am

9 persons have voted this message useful

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5524 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 2 of 16
23 March 2012 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
This sounds interesting. I have no interest in computer games per se these days but from
what you are saying it sounds like anyone playing this game would be able to create a
virtually immersed environment.

One thing I hope you can clear up - Are the people you encounter in the game other
players or are they pre-programmed characters forming part of the game.

Thanks for letting us know about the language learning potential here.

EDIT: on closer inspection, it seems that this game is not free. I think that could have
been mentioned in the original post.

Edited by magictom123 on 23 March 2012 at 8:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4638 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 16
23 March 2012 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Do you know about language compatibility for the PS3 for Skyrim?

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4583 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 4 of 16
23 March 2012 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Sounds amazing, i am an enthusiast of both Role-Playing games and language learning. I will check it as soon as i get home; i wish there is an Italian version as well.

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 5 of 16
23 March 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
My computer's too old to run Skyrim, but there are a few older games of the series also
available, and I know for a fact that Morrowind (which is pretty cheap on Steam) has a
fan-made Italian translation out on the net. It doesn't feature the voice-overs that
Skyrim does, but there's a MASSIVE amount of text in the Elder Scrolls games (as the
series is called).

I'm fairly sure that Oblivion (the next newest game to Skyrim) and Skyrim have been
translated by the creators into at least the more major European languages: German,
Italian, Spanish. Steam automatically downloads any available language files for the
games when you change the interface language.

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4583 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 6 of 16
23 March 2012 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Well my computer seems good enough for the game but it costs 60 dollars. About Morrowind;
does it have English subtitles with Italian audio like OP mentioned or full Italian?

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 7 of 16
24 March 2012 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Morrowind is an older game, so there's limited audio in general. Certain story events
get full (English) audio and I think characters have some generic tag lines, but it's
mostly just text.

Additionally the translation is done by fans, and although I understand it's very good,
they didn't overdub the audio, so it's all in English. There are Italian subtitles in
the add-on, but that's about as far as it goes.

If anyone's interested, the mod (short for modification, sort of an add-on for games)
is here:
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Det ail&id=8693

Download the "MorrowindITP.zip" file and follow the read-me inside (which is also in
Italian, but the instructions aren't incredibly complicated). If you have the expansion
packs you can do the same thing for them as well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5339 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 16
25 March 2012 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
magictom123 wrote:

One thing I hope you can clear up - Are the people you encounter in the game other
players or are they pre-programmed characters forming part of the game.

It's a single player rpg. The speech interactions are mainly with NPCs that give out quests, NPCs you interact with during quests, or NPCs that just talk to you as you're walking around (which happens often).

And by the way, the language list from the Steam page says English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese.

In addition to Japanese, I tested Italian to see if it worked and it was fine. Full audio and subtitles were working.

Edited by Sandman on 25 March 2012 at 1:17pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version