United States
Joined 4665 days ago

87 posts - 151 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 17
31 March 2012 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
I think the only reason why slowly-spoken materials are a problem for some people is because they're too proud or too scared to even TRY listening to stuff that they can't really understand, at least for more than a minute or two.

Another possibility:
They may have too low of a frustration threshold with respect to failing to understand.
4 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4619 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 10 of 17
31 March 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Yes. More or less the same thing, in my mind. You will never have 100% comprehension, even of your native
language, and getting from zero to 99% takes a while. IMHO, learning to understand most of what is said or written
when you are missing a decent amount of the words is an important skill in and of itself, which courses themselves
do not really address.
1 person has voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 11 of 17
01 April 2012 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
I don't buy "getting used to the speed". When you don't know a word, you won't understand it no matter what. When you learn that word, you will have to encounter it again in clear speech, no matter the speed.

It may be nice in the beginning, when there are concepts like double consonants, pauses, stress or pitch, but after the very early stages, slow speech is not better or worse, it's just slower. You still will or won't understand words, and if you don't get words you should know, you need to listen more, to clear speech, at whatever speed.

Variety of speakers however will be of use. Hear a word being spoken by 3 or 4 different people and you will own it (listening-comprehension-wise).

If you have trouble modulating the sounds to pronounciate a word, go back to the pronunciation introduction chapters.

jean-luc
France
Joined 4891 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 12 of 17
02 April 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Slowly spoken material is really valuables, at least at the beginning. It give time to your brain to process and understand what you're listening at. Pretty much the same happen when your read a difficult book: you slow down your read speed.

Of course if you find it to slow for you, it's time to speed up.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6840 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 17
02 April 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
My experience says that slowly spoken material is often clearer than anybody would speak (i.e. not natural audio being slowed down), so if we get used to this, we'd still not be prepared for reduced pronunciation.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5061 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 14 of 17
02 April 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
I don't buy "getting used to the speed". When you don't know a word, you won't understand it no matter what. When you learn that word, you will have to encounter it again in clear speech, no matter the speed.

Actually, if we're combining audio with video, I disagree with this. Pick any subject that interests you, say, cooking. Watch a few different cooking shows. Eventually you're going to learn the words "stir", "eggs", etc. because you're seeing people doing the action (stirring, cracking an egg) and learn it at normal speed, and most likely in several different accents.

It may not be the most efficient way to learn a word/phrase/command/whatever, but you're learning it in context as a native speaker would use it.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 02 April 2012 at 8:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4619 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 15 of 17
02 April 2012 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
atama warui wrote:

==

And furthermore, this doesn't account for the problem that oftentimes you DO know the words, but you can't understand them...until you get used to listening to full-speed audio.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 16 of 17
03 April 2012 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Don't mix up concepts here.

I'm talking about an audio track, maybe an audio book, or the CD accompanying your textbook. Or two natives standing at the corner, having a discussion. Everything that's not "comprehensible input" like "point at your nose and say Dies ist meine Nase, point at your head and say Dies ist mein Kopf...)

You will come across content you have to chance to comprehend more often than not. How do you "show" words such as "democracy"? You don't. You would need an explanation, and those explanations won't be there in the wild. I'm not talking about word games on TV. Try following the news in your Lx and count how many words you won't understand without additional info.

I don't talk about slurred or accentuated pronunciation. I know very well that it makes a difference to hear "shiyou ga nai" or "shaa nee". What I mean is, even native speakers talk at different levels of speed. There is no one "native speed", speed level differs on an individual basis.

However, I get where you're coming from and agree 100%. Accentuated speech will not take you far. But that was not what I was talking about. :)

A good way to train listening comprehension is watch ANYTHING with speakers trained to speak. News. Animations. Foreign movies, translated into your target language. Disney movies in any language will be a jackpot.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version