Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6082 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 11
10 April 2012 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Venturing into the world of film and television, we encounter a number of actors who learn to mimic foreign accents. Some of them will be naturally adept at impersonation, think Meryl Streep, and garner awards for their abilities. Others, however, rely on the services of professional voice coaches to help them. I wonder if us language learners could adapt some of their methods. Some of these are,

- Physically copy the movements and body language of native speakers. I wonder if the perception of accent, via subconscious cues, is enhanced by capturing the body language.
- Hum a musical scale before practising speech. This is meant to help break the natural tones used in your native accent. Actors also use this method to improve the colour of their voices.
- Listen to looped short recorded extracts of one minute or less. This is a technique that some impressionists uses to learn the common phrases of celebrities.
- Vocal stretching and warm ups. Think of saying 'Aah' in the doctors but will a lot of different vowel sounds.

Does anyone know any other tricks of the trade ?

2 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4947 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 11
10 April 2012 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Reminds me of "The rain in Spain..." scene in the movie: "My Fair Lady"
;-)

Edited by napoleon on 10 April 2012 at 12:16pm

dleewo
Groupie
United States
Joined 5749 days ago

95 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 3 of 11
10 April 2012 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
I've always wondered why I never hear about language learners using accent coaches like
actors. I'm wondering if it's easier for someone to change their accent in their native
language vs a second language?

I notice there are a lot of Australian actors on TV who have perfect American accents.
I'mm constantly surprised to learn that actors in some of my favorite TV shows are
Australian. I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of any non-native English speaking
actors though that pull off an American English accent.

It's also interesting that British and Australian actors seem to be able to perfect
American accents, but when you hear an American trying a British accent, it is usually
quite comical.

Kyle Corrie
United States
Joined 4760 days ago

175 posts - 464 votes 

Message 4 of 11
10 April 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
dleewo wrote:
I've always wondered why I never hear about language learners using accent
coaches like actors.

Because for the most part, language learners aren't trying to make you believe they're
someone else.

Dominic West is an English actor who played a Baltimore born detective in 'The Wire'. It
wouldn't make much sense if he were walking around with an English accent with the story
line that he spent his entire life in Baltimore.

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4947 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 11
10 April 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Kyle Corrie wrote:
dleewo wrote:
I've always wondered why I never hear about language learners using accent
coaches like actors.

Because for the most part, language learners aren't trying to make you believe they're
someone else.

I am sorry but I will have to disagree.
The main reason why most of us do not employ accent coaches has more to do with economics rather than ethics.
Call the 'grapes sour' all you want but accent coaches don't come cheap. :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5061 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 6 of 11
10 April 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
The main reason why most of us do not employ accent coaches has more to do with economics rather than ethics.
Call the 'grapes sour' all you want but accent coaches don't come cheap. :)

That was my experience when I hired a coach to help reduce my strong MN accent, too. They're INCREDIBLY expensive. At least in southern California, that's the case. It's a pretty big industry there.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 10 April 2012 at 7:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6590 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 7 of 11
10 April 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
I've been reading about that quite recently for some reason... It would be really nice to sound like a naitive, and the
voice coaches themselves claim that they can help their clients to achieve this... But £6000 for ten "lessons" and a
book is quite expensive for a student, and private voice coaching is even more expensive! Though if I ever get the
economy and possibility I'd totally go for it.

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 8 of 11
11 April 2012 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
A Japanese friend of me has had training as (theater) actress. She knows some techniques to train pronunciation and intonation for the clear, standard Japanese accent you hear when listening to the news at NHK. She helped me to get rid of my German accent.

I'm still not perfect, but now I sound like someone from "somewhere else in Japan", not like "a foreigner". I intend to train more with her. You can't imagine how much "This was 70%, a little softer" - "Okay, 80%, a bit higher" actually helps.

Actors also have training sheets which really help to let the words flow instead of "spitting them out", makes speech a lot smoother.

Edited by atama warui on 11 April 2012 at 6:08am

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version