10 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6528 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 10
14 April 2012 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Some common idioms should be learned early though. It often helps me to read about the etymology/origins of an idiom, then it makes sense:) I normally just add them to SRS but really at least passive learning is easy because the images are vivid/interesting. It's easy to sound ridiculous if you use too many idioms so it's best to learn them passively and then through input you'll know which ones to use and which just to know.
1 person has voted this message useful

Javi
Spain
Joined 5912 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 10 of 10
14 April 2012 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
ajelsma wrote:
Ive tried the mnemosyne and if I can push in into my longterm memory
then it is passive
not active. I have a large list of sentences from a website (maybe 10-20,000). This is
just a list already in the mnemosyne program. This just doesn't seem to help but ill
try
this for a bit. Thanks :)

It's not like that, actually it's usually the opposite: your most active words are
those that would take the longest to forget. Take for example your own name, is it
active enough? Now imagine that you move to a different country, take other name and
don't use the old one never again. How many years would you need to really forget it?
Probably a lifetime and you still wouldn't success. That's because your name is in your
very long-term memory.
3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version