France
Joined 4632 days ago

87 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 15
14 April 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Hi

I've often read on this forum this advice given to people interested in some "hard"
languages : "You should learn an easy language first".

I'm quite skeptical. Let's imagine a Spanish guy fond of Japanese culture. He wants to
learn
Japanese. So, because Japanese is harder than Italian, he should learn Italian, even if
he's not into Italian culture ? How could it be possible ? I mean, reaching fluency in
any language takes time. And that advice sounds like wasted time to me.

What do you think ?

Edited by Everything on 14 April 2012 at 1:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4987 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 2 of 15
14 April 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
The answer was given to those who ask what language they should learn, it's just one
reason, not all the reasons.
According to this Russians should always start with Belorussian, not English, German or
French.
6 persons have voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5266 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 3 of 15
14 April 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
I don't read the advice threats very often because they get very repetitive but I find it
hard to believe that we would advise someone who wants to learn Japanese to learn Italian
instead, just because it's easy. I think most people here would agree that you should
learn the language you want to learn because difficulty is only relative and can be
overcome with enough motivation and determination.

What I have seen is people asking which of two languages they should learn first and
being advised to learn the one that is considered easier. That, to me, makes sense, since
these are often first-time learners who might be better off starting with an easy one.
And like Mapk said, it is usually only one reason given alongside things like resources,
usefulness, etc.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4553 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 4 of 15
14 April 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Learning an easier language gives a person the experience of being able to use a language much faster, and this helps learn other languages. Some research shows that learning Esperanto for one year and then some other language for two years has better results as far as the other language is concerned than studying the other language for three years. I don't know how true this is and how well it applies to any other language than Esperanto. But this is just one reason, as Mark says.

By the way, you mean skeptical, not septic. Septic means having a bacterial infection of the blood (sepsis), what is sometimes called blood poisoning.
3 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4703 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 5 of 15
14 April 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
I think the logic behind that advice is something related to this. The reasoning goes like this: regardless of your native language, your first non-native language will be the hardest to acquire; after you break the monolingualism barrier you will have developed the skills that will make acquiring other languages much easier. So it makes sense to start from an objectively easy language, like Esperanto, and then tackle the harder ones later. By this reasoning if the Spanish guy in question is already fluent in English, then he wouldn't need to learn Italian before taking up Japanese, since he has already broken the "barrier". And of course, the logic itself can be questioned (Is the third language really much easier to acquire than the second? Are Italian and Spanish too similar to each other for this to be of any assistance? What about, for instance, Swedish and Danish? etc.).

Edit: damnit, ninja'd! Curse my slow typing!

Edited by vonPeterhof on 14 April 2012 at 1:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6528 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 15
14 April 2012 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
In fact it's also common to hear "I love language X, but Spanish is more useful, what should I learn?" and unless the poster's interest in that other language doesn't seem strong enough (or they have unrealistic expectations) everyone recommends going for what you love.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5697 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 15
14 April 2012 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
I myself give this bit of advice to first time learners or first time self learners that ask about the order in which they should learn two languages. The reason for that is that even when you are already proficient in a second language, you still have to learn how to study a language by yourself and when to look for which kind of support. Many people who haven't made the experience yet underestimate the challenge of having to motivate yourself when you do not have the social support of a study group, and many people who have overcome that motivational struggle a long time ago do not remember how difficult it was.

Of course, not everyone gains more from learning a language more similar to your native one first. I myself gave up on languages that are considered easy because I was too frustrated by my active skills lagging behind, but I didn't give up on Japanese because I expected it to be difficult and frustrating.

Edited by Bao on 14 April 2012 at 4:41pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6840 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 15
14 April 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
If the learner is equally interested in a "difficult" and an "easy" language, it's probably just as beneficial to go for the difficult one.

Everything will become much easier later on.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version