Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4572 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 15
14 April 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I think it's worth noting that there doesn't need to be a clear cut choice between
"easiest language" and "language you want to learn". A Spanish speaker need not learn
Italian specifically, why not another Romance language like French? If you look at every
easier option and can't find one you like, go for what you want to learn.

Either way, it takes a long time to learn a language. You need to go with something that
you can stick with in the long haul, if you compromise for something you aren't
interested in, what's going to keep you going?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5530 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 10 of 15
14 April 2012 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
It is also a question of resources. If you are a monolingual speaker of a small language and are going to learn another lesser learned language, you won't find good dictionaries, grammars, lesson books etc. Imagine an Estonian is going to learn Tamil. He need a language like English or French or Hindi to have materials to work with as a stepping stone.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4940 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 15
15 April 2012 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
If the guy from the inicial example is really fond of japanese culture and really
attracted by Japanese, than he will either not ask whether to learn it (the question
will be "how to learn" instead) or he'll be most likely told to follow the heart.

If he's equally attracted by two languages or he plans to learn several, than it he's
usually told to start with an easier one to get experience and to be motivated by an
earlier success and carry the feeling "it is possible, even though difficult, and I did
it!" to the rest of his studies.

As Mark said (even though he went to a bit different direction), it is different with
non-English natives. Most of us start with English which isn't often the easiest choice
(I was lucky to start with French). From my experience with several european languages,
I'd say it is much harder than the romance, slavic or other Germanic languages. And I
am just Czech native, the more of my admiration goes to all the non-european successful
learners. So, I wanted to say that it is nice to choose an easier language first, to
gain confidence, but if you won't, the world won't shatter in pieces.
4 persons have voted this message useful

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4531 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 12 of 15
25 April 2012 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
ultimately its up to you to make up your own mind, all people can do is give advice
which sometimes contradicts... Im a native English speaker studying japanese as my
first secondary language, and Im not finding it as hard some people hyped it up to
be... I guess I just expected any language to be difficult and picked one im interested
in...

every language has pros and cons... for example, japanese has simple pronunciation, a
phonetic alphabet, and lots of material to get a hold of... Its kanji is a challange,
as is the word syntax to some extend | chinese (im told) will be easy for the word
order, but the pronunciation will be hard because of the tones (ive repeated maybe
three sentences in mandarin, and I will not like the tones)

so in any case, just expect any language to have difficulties because each of them are
different and will have some aspects of them more difficult than others

1 person has voted this message useful

Rowerzysta
Poland
Joined 4543 days ago

12 posts - 20 votes

Message 13 of 15
25 April 2012 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
As Mark said (even though he went to a bit different direction), it is different with non-English natives. Most of us start with English which isn't often the easiest choice (I was lucky to start with French). From my experience with several european languages, I'd say it is much harder than the romance, slavic or other Germanic languages.

That's interesting, as I consider English one of the easiest languages to learn for European speakers, though I can't really comment much on Slavic learners. And obviously this depends on what level we consider, but for a language learned in school I can't think of anything easier than English.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4987 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 14 of 15
25 April 2012 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
I don't think that learning an easier language will give you more than learning a
moredifficult one. Learning a difficult one teaches you more new things and new languages
do not discourage you.
For example, I'm not sure that learning Belorussian first will be more useful for
developing linguistic skills for a native Russian speaker than learning French first.

Betjeman
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6074 days ago

85 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 15 of 15
27 April 2012 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Although everyone will agree that Mandarin is, at least for most people, considerably harder to learn than
Esperanto, I am not at all convinced that a clear distinction between "easy" and "difficult" languages is
possible or even desirable.

Motivation overcomes many obstacles, and if you happen to be deeply interested in a "difficult" language
- because you're fascinated with the culture, have fallen in love with a native speaker or often go on
business trips there - this could be a much easier language for you than for many other people.

Other aspects are to be taken into consideration as well. Some languages are relatively easy in the
beginning but become much harder later on, and vice versa. Other languages have clear grammar rules
with few exceptions but listening comprehension is awfully tough. And so on.

So just decide on a goal and make your choice. Remember that it is a lifelong task anyway to become and
stay fluent in whatever language. And please, let's forget the idea of time "wasted" on a certain language.
If you enjoy languages there is no such thing as a waste of time studying one of them, regardless of
which one it is.      

Edited by Betjeman on 27 April 2012 at 9:53am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version