Groupie
France
youtube.com/NewLangu
Joined 4538 days ago

74 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 3
15 April 2012 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
In one of the latest videos on Luca's excellent channel, he mentioned "just forgetting" words as a way of improving your vocabulary, ie not trying too hard to remember them.

As a method, I don't think this really works for me. My method has always been to attach the word to a particular expression. For instance, to remember the French word for anvil (enclume) I remember the expression "être entre le marteau et l'enclume" (to be between the hammer and the anvil/ to be between a rock and a hard place).

Whenever I hear a new word, or a new expression in French, my first instinct is to:

1. Look for a synonym
2. Think if the combination of words sounds like anything else
3. Search expressio.fr for an expression containing that word
4. Post a pun on my Facebook page

In Dutch, I remember (for example) the expression "ik heb er schoon genoeg van" with my first ever Dutch pun "Ik wil geen cadeau van Sinterklaas dit jaar - ik heb er schoen genoeg van".

Does anybody else do this, or am I something of an anomaly ? :-)

(Justement, il y a beaucoup d'anomalies, mais pas beaucoup de chevaux au Sénégal)....

If anyone is interested, I made a video about this on my channel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jmoVQXEPjw

Edited by NewLanguageGuy on 15 April 2012 at 1:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4555 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 2 of 3
16 April 2012 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
I haven't seen the video, and I am very new at language learning but I don't see how it couldn't help. I've read
numerous articles that have found you learn something better and are more likely to permanently remember it if
you forget a few times or do it a different way each time. Examples cited were usually things like driving
somewhere. I know I personally am better at remembering the directions if I've gotten lost a few times or find my
own way there. I can also see the way it works in maths. While I haven't studied maths for 4 years now, I would
have trouble with formulas the first few goes, particularly when following a strict method. After making mistakes
a few times, it would click and I couldn't forget it.

Following this, there was some study done on the brains of people, namely taxi drivers and those who do not.
Taxi drivers who are constantly driving and forging new paths, going different ways etc had more neuro-
connections than the others. I suspect it was taxi drivers v bus drivers. The bus drivers who travel the same route
(or a few specific routes) every day had less connections.

Although, like I said I can't link you the study so take it with a grain of salt. I may have remembered incorrectly.

I wish I knew where I had read these things so I could link them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nimchimpsky
Diglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5542 days ago

73 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English

Message 3 of 3
17 April 2012 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
I don't do this because I don't consider puns to be very funny, especially when it takes a lot of effort to come up with one. There is also the danger that you might confuse the two similar sounding words like 'schoon' and 'schoen'.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version