kilcookie
United Kingdom
Joined 4534 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 7
18 April 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
I've searched the forums but haven't found a lot, please excuse me if i'm just being stupid!

It's been a long time since i've learnt any languages, but i've decided I want to teach myself Dutch. How to learn grammar confounds me though - is it just a case of learning by heart or is there more to it?

Any tips, advice, or pointers to the right place would be great!
1 person has voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5346 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 2 of 7
18 April 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
The Michel Thomas course would be a great (and painless) introduction to Dutch grammar.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6528 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 7
18 April 2012 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
It's up to you. There are various ways of picking it up naturally (see techniques http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Techniques) and there are drills. Most probably do a bit of both.

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 7
18 April 2012 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
My own theory is that "grammar" is somebody's attempt to describe how the language is used. "Learning grammar", by my way of thinking, is doing it backwards. Learn phrases, sentences, and other instances of grammar first.

After you are familiar with some examples of a particular grammatical principle THEN go back and read about that principle, to better understand what you have learned. After all, a four year old speaks her native language pretty fluently long before "knowing" the "grammar".

First learn to fly by the seat of your pants. Then study aerodynamics. It all just becomes so much more meaningful when you have a context for what the grammar text is talking about. It's the difference between saying to yourself "What the heck does that rule mean?" and saying to yourself "Aha! Now I see why I learned to say it that way!" The first way leads to confusion and frustration. The second way leads to revelation and enlightenment!
3 persons have voted this message useful

eggcluck
China
Joined 4632 days ago

168 posts - 278 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 7
18 April 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
I like grammar books with cool example sentences though they are a rare breed. Once resource I come across ( the name eludes my memory) had an example sentence along the lines of :-

I shall have my vengence upon that clown that put my face in sushi.

^^ Yes, clown is not a usefull word but it makes grammar more entertaining!

I just wish there were more resources like this.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6528 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 7
18 April 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
for languages other than  English, google is a wonderful source of funny/crazy/cool sentences.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6528 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 7 of 7
19 April 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
My own theory is that "grammar" is somebody's attempt to describe how the language is used. "Learning grammar", by my way of thinking, is doing it backwards. Learn phrases, sentences, and other instances of grammar first.
Grammar is more than just this. Grammar is a structure.
A dictionary also describes how the language is uses - yet I'm sure you agree that it's possible to learn the words and use them?
Examples certainly help, and so does exposure. But parroting entire sentences isn't necessary.

It honestly makes so much more sense when you've studied (or even dabbled in) several languages. When you're still learning your first foreign language, a somewhat similar effect can be achieved by reading through several grammar reference books.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version