Diglot
Germany
Joined 5491 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 1 of 26
20 April 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
While my computer is still warm, I'll just ask a quick question that I have always wondered about.

Does anyone think that text or audio comprehension exercises are useful? I mean the sort of thing that is one of the main fatures of traditional language classes, and text books for such clases, and exams.

For example, you listen to some audio, then have to answer questions, usually relatively simple, like "how many bears did Goldilocks see" which unfortunately for me is the sort of detail my brain never pays attention to.

Or you read a text, and have to answer questions which can be surprisingly tricky if you're not familiar with the style and level (e.g. it could be something like "list all the conclusions of the study" and you have to wonder wether they really mean exclusively "conclusions", or would things that were merely "mentioned" be included. We also used to do this sort of question in School for English.

I just wonder if anyone knows what the paedagogic benefit of these is supposed to be. I understand using them in exams, although they seem more to be a test of intelligence than pure language skill. But when I do them as exercises, it never really feels like I'm learning anything, but maybe I should be doing something more creatively. Does anyone find them helpful? (I know not many here really like anything that sounds like it might belong in a classroom)

(Actually, the reason why I finally asked, is, I'm just looking at a text book, Ziel, that does seem to combine its comprehension exercises creatively with other tasks, but it's too early to comment really)

Edited by schoenewaelder on 21 April 2012 at 6:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6528 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 26
20 April 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
The purpose is largely the same as many translation exercises: the teacher needs to see that you understand. In group classes, it's also a way for the weakest/shy students to get involved. They might get the easiest questions. It's also an indication of whether the level is right: if even the best students can't reply the medium difficulty questions, the text was probably too difficult.
And far more importantly, reproducing/retelling is considered a fairly difficult activity while if they aren't required to do anything, most students will get distracted. So questions are the lesser evil here. Yikes.

I like the questions when the text teaches me something apart from the language itself, such as at http://gloss.dliflc.edu/ or in "________ for doctors" textbooks (I'm not a doctor but I'm interested in medicine. And since these are aimed at professionals, it's not a big deal if I misunderstand something).
At GLOSS I especially love the lessons of the type "structural", where there's usually a timer and you can skim the article for 1-2 minutes and then you have to answer a question (which ISN'T shown before the text disappears). If you fail, you can skim the article once more now that you know the question, and then if you fail again they highlight the parts that convey the needed information.

Edited by Serpent on 20 April 2012 at 9:07pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Javi
Spain
Joined 5912 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 3 of 26
20 April 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't do that kind of exercises just to kill the time, but I reckon that, as part
of a language course or when you're preparing to get a language certificate, they may be
useful. They train you to focus your attention while listening, skim a text searching
for a piece of information, pay attention to the exact meaning of a word, not just
approximate, etc. I find that a only passive approach to reading and listening doesn't
teach me the language as deeply and quickly as I would like. Comprehension tests, adding
sentences to your SRS to illustrate a grammatical point, rephrasing, etc, they are all
means to take a more active approach. I do feel that I'm learning. Actually I think that
working with an expression in an exercise or adding it to my SRS collection have the
same effect as having heard it 200 times on the telly.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5157 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 4 of 26
21 April 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
Does anyone think that text or audio comprehension exercises are useful?
when I do them as exercises, it never really feels like I'm learning anything

Because you're not learning anything from the exercise, you're just checking if you understood what you heard or read. Even if you understood it perfectly, you wouldn't learn anything from it if you knew beforehand everything that was in it, would you?

Are they useful? Of course, just not equally useful for everyone. Even good learners, i.e. those who don't usually delude themselves into thinking they understood what they actually didn't, may use them every now and then to check they're not being overconfident. You know, because sometimes you just need to retain how many bears there were ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 21 April 2012 at 12:44am

3 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5239 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 5 of 26
21 April 2012 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
I think those exercises where the question appears AFTER the audio are more memory exercises than language exercises. I hate them.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4940 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 6 of 26
21 April 2012 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
One use is for text preparation.

But they can be very useful normally as well, as long as they require more than just
crossing the right number. If you need to rephrase the part of text or audio, where the
answer was, than you are practicing your own speaking or writing and you are finding your
weak spots, missing vocabulary etc.

But you don't need prescribed exercises for that, you can do it with any piece of input.
Or I take the classical exercise and add some questions to make it more challenging :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6528 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 26
21 April 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
One use is for text preparation.
do you mean preparing for tests or preparing some sort of texts?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6840 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 26
21 April 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
I think those exercises where the question appears AFTER the audio are more memory exercises than language exercises. I hate them.

So do I. I think our teacher did that in nearly every English class in high school. I suck at listening (and reading) comprehension tests even in Swedish, and that's a language I've heard almost every single day in my (so far) 38 year old life.

Give me a few pages about something I like and I can give a summary of it. Give me a one-minute newscast about economy/politics and I won't be able to name even one person mentioned.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version