tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5697 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 17 of 26
25 April 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I suffer a similar difficulty to these myself. However, I think that's why comprehension exercises are so important for me. It will force me to read and reread (or listen and relisten), paying attention to every detail as much as possible. If you are a person who struggles to remember details of what you have just heard or read, then you will undoubtedly find comprehension exercises difficult. However, you are also a person who probably needs them.

Disagreed. Out of a group, I tend to be the person who remembers lectures, past outings with the group, the topic of the conversation we just had before we got sidetracked etc. best just because I do not encode the actual linguistic details, but compress the meaning and link it to my general knowledge, my episodic memory and my knowledge about the other group members. In fact, in the long haul I remember a lot of detail that way; what I cannot remember are details that seem to be irrelevant. I don't care if Sally buys 150g or 200g of cheese, what I'll remember is that she bought cheese, an amount fit for household consumption, and used the metric system.

Edited by Bao on 25 April 2012 at 1:05am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6528 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 26
25 April 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Same here. In the long run I remember a loooot, but I don't keep irrelevant details even in my short-term memory.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4840 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 19 of 26
25 April 2012 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Jeffers wrote:

I suffer a similar difficulty to these myself. However, I think that's why comprehension exercises are so important for me. It will force me to read and reread (or listen and relisten), paying attention to every detail as much as possible. If you are a person who struggles to remember details of what you have just heard or read, then you will undoubtedly find comprehension exercises difficult. However, you are also a person who probably needs them.

By way of analogy, if you are bodybuilding, and your legs are your strongest area, then you don't enjoy working on your arms as much. But with both language and exercise, an area of difficulty often demonstrates an area of need.
Disagreed. I think that just indicates that the details are boring. Shocking/unusual details are usually remembered easily.

If anyone follows this advice and trains this ability (where do you need it, other than at exams?), I recommend at least not torturing yourself and using texts where you actually care about all those little details.

For example, due to a lot of classroom study, I'm good at finding specific information in German texts, but I still suck at reading in German. Just illustrating how some skills are language skills and some are classroom language learner skills.

I'm not quite sure what you are disagreeing with, but a well made comprehension exercise should not ask for boring or irrelevant details. A well designed comprehension exercise should test if you have caught the main point of a text or audio. I have no doubt that there are poor exercises which ask things like "how many pigs were there?" rather than "what did the pigs do when the wolf blew their house down?" But comprehension exercises like those on the defense institute website ask for details that you ought to be remembering if you understood the text properly. So comprehension exercises should basically be checking if you can remember the important details of what you have just been told. How is that not a real life skill?

Back to the sports analogy, just because some PE teacher tortured you in middle-school, does not mean that exercise is bad for you.

Bao wrote:
Disagreed. Out of a group, I tend to be the person who remembers lectures, past outings with the group, the topic of the conversation we just had before we got sidetracked etc. best just because I do not encode the actual linguistic details, but compress the meaning and link it to my general knowledge, my episodic memory and my knowledge about the other group members. In fact, in the long haul I remember a lot of detail that way; what I cannot remember are details that seem to be irrelevant. I don't care if Sally buys 150g or 200g of cheese, what I'll remember is that she bought cheese, an amount fit for household consumption, and used the metric system.

Again, not sure what's being disagreed with here. A good comprehension exercise should ask for details like what Sally bought, not the exact amount or colour.

Edited by Jeffers on 25 April 2012 at 6:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6528 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 26
25 April 2012 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
I still think that apart from discussing the story with someone, all those exercises require a specific skill which you need only... to complete them. :D Those questions are either too easy or too difficult, and in both cases you don't need them to decide you need to reread part of the story.

Anyway, good for you if you enjoy those exercises and know where to find good ones. I was mostly disagreeing that if these tasks are difficult for you, you need to do them more. Many of these tasks DO suck and are mostly designed so that the teacher could check whether you understand.
2 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6082 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 21 of 26
26 April 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
Some of the best comprehension exercises I've seen, tend to be very short, and test something relevant.

E.g. In Spanish

Menú. Especial del día. Papas asadas con lechón.

Question: Is this meal suitable for somebody with a dairy allergy ?

[Update - Removed the extraneous las. Thanks MrWarper.]

Edited by DaraghM on 27 April 2012 at 10:03am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5157 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 22 of 26
27 April 2012 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
... papas asadas con lechón.
... suitable for somebody with a dairy allergy ?

(Lose that 'las'!) Hard to say, I had to think it over. Lechón is a piglet that's been fed just milk before being slaughtered, but not a dairy product itself, so... no. However, an acquaintance of mine is allergic to egg yolk and she has to be wary of the craziest things like French fries (oil reuse? maybe...) or cheese (egg, really? come on!) so... who knows for sure? Just keep your epinephrine syringe at hand ;)

Serpent wrote:
... Many of these tasks DO suck and are mostly designed so that the teacher could check whether you understand.

Which is precisely the kind of situation most of language study happens in, anyway -- so it makes quite a lot of sense and makes 'us teachers'' lives easier :)

Last week I conducted an experiment with several friends to check on attentiveness and comprehension. I read them the first paragraph of a short SF story and they'd let me know if it was interesting enough to pass them the whole text or not. For this to spark any interest, one key word is essential. Whether I read it in a TL for very advanced students or in the NL of others (no possible TL comprehension problems here), ALL of them missed it so nobody was interested in the rest of the story until I pointed out what they overlooked. Let's try it here:

Ted Chiang - What's Expected of Us

It's a tough choice!
This is a warning. Please read carefully.
By now you've probably seen a Predictor; millions of them have been sold by the time you're reading this. For those who haven't seen one, it's a small device, like a remote for opening your car door. Its only features are a button and a big green LED. The light flashes if you press the button. Specifically, the light flashes one second before you press the button.

Edited by mrwarper on 27 April 2012 at 2:30am

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5887 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 23 of 26
27 April 2012 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Last week I conducted an experiment with several friends to check on attentiveness and comprehension. I read them the first paragraph of a short SF story and they'd let me know if it was interesting enough to pass them the whole text or not. For this to spark any interest, one key word is essential. Whether I read it in a TL for very advanced students or in the NL of others (no possible TL comprehension problems here), ALL of them missed it so nobody was interested in the rest of the story until I pointed out what they overlooked. Let's try it here:

Ted Chiang - What's Expected of Us

It's a tough choice!
This is a warning. Please read carefully.
By now you've probably seen a Predictor; millions of them have been sold by the time you're reading this. For those who haven't seen one, it's a small device, like a remote for opening your car door. Its only features are a button and a big green LED. The light flashes if you press the button. Specifically, the light flashes one second before you press the button.

Ted Chiang: "The universe was a language with a perfectly ambiguous grammar. Every physical event was an utterance that could be parsed in two entirely different ways, one causal and the other teleological."   I am thinking of adding Universe to my list of languages I would like to learn (assuming I ever get past the hell of French).

Edited by Spanky on 27 April 2012 at 5:31am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5697 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 24 of 26
27 April 2012 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
Predict/before?
... this seems way too easy, I think I don't get it.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version