Groupie
Thailand
Joined 4832 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 10
21 April 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
I'm going through a frequency list deck, and many cards I know already. Everything else is default, and I have set
the intervals to this:

Button 2 interval: 1-1.1 days (these are new words I want to see again as normal)
Button 3 interval: 25-35 days (these are words I know, but I'd like to see again in a month)
Button 4 interval: 60-120 days (these are cards I know and don't want to see for a while)

This works great, until I see a Button 2 card for the next viewing. When it comes up the next day, the soonest
option is 15 days for some reason. I don't know why this is. I would expect it to have an option of 2 days.

Could somebody tell me what I don't understand?

Thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6840 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 10
21 April 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm no Anki hacker, but it wouldn't surprise me if it works differently depending on how and when the card reached this "button 2" level, e.g. if it's a button 3 (or 4) card that over time has got downgraded, or if it's fairly new card.

DanWorld
Groupie
Thailand
Joined 4832 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 10
21 April 2012 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I'm no Anki hacker, but it wouldn't surprise me if it works differently depending on how
and when the card reached this "button 2" level, e.g. if it's a button 3 (or 4) card that over time has got
downgraded, or if it's fairly new card.

Yeah, I think that makes sense, but this happens the 2nd time I see a new card. So the first time around, I choose
button 2 which is "1 day". Then the next day, the soonest option, button 2, is "15 days".

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6528 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 10
21 April 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
SRS is supposed to be for remembering, not that much for initial learning.
I just rely on the algorithm and I don't even want to see my intervals cause it just feels weird.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4940 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 10
22 April 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
The intervals at each button vary, depending on how many times have you chosen each
button. If I understood it correctly, the algorhytm chooses the intervals based a value
of "difficulty" (which is preset and the buttons change it), which can be viewed with
other details of the card and perhaps manually corrected. I am not sure of it now,
haven't got anki on my new computer yet to have a look at it. My "faourite" method is to
choose 1 even when I know the word but I am unsure and want shorter intervals.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5239 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 6 of 10
22 April 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
DanWorld wrote:
I'm going through a frequency list deck, and many cards I know already. Everything else is default, and I have set
the intervals to this:

Button 2 interval: 1-1.1 days (these are new words I want to see again as normal)
Button 3 interval: 25-35 days (these are words I know, but I'd like to see again in a month)
Button 4 interval: 60-120 days (these are cards I know and don't want to see for a while)

This works great, until I see a Button 2 card for the next viewing. When it comes up the next day, the soonest
option is 15 days for some reason. I don't know why this is. I would expect it to have an option of 2 days.

Could somebody tell me what I don't understand?

Thank you.

Button 1 interval: <---- what is this interval?

> "the soonest option is 15 days" ... "I would expect it to have an option of 2 days."

By "the soonest option" I believe you mean button 1. 15 days is indeed strange. But why were you expecting it to be 2 days, shouldn't it be like 10 minutes? The soonest option = Button 1 = the button you click when you answered wrong, no?

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4940 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 7 of 10
22 April 2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Button 1 is "see again at the end of this session without any interval in between". No
matter the size of the intervals at buttons 2,3 and 4.

There is nothing strange about the 15 days interval. Just the card is considered "easy"
by anki, that means it has low difficulcy stat (either by default setting of the card
or by choosing "easy" button or both). It has a lot of logic behind it, you just cannot
expect it to suit everyone because various cards are variously difficult or easy for
various learners.

(The 10 minutes interval can't be found anywhere on the Anki, unless you change the
settings. I believe the theoretical base, on which is Anki found, doesn't consider 10
minutes enough time to review. For immediate review, there is the button 1. If you are
in general looking for much shorter intervals, try memrise.)

http://ankisrs.net/shots.html

Second screetshot is the screen with card details. Stat called "ease" is what you are
looking for. You can see it is changing as you learn, there is stat "last ease" which
makes hint of the progress on the card. I think you can change the "ease" of the card
but not sure how (or whether at all after the card creation).

The "Customizable Scheduling" screenshot shows deck settings where you can change the
intervals and their evolution. I haven't played with these settings at any of my decks
but the screenshot proves it is possible. Try to look in the help files at the anki
website, they are quite extensive.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6840 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 10
23 April 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
In my version (1.2.8) the 10 minutes interval can be found in Settings>Deck properties>Advanced>Button 1 delay.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version