Thailand
Joined 4832 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Spanish, Russian

Message 9 of 10
23 April 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Thanks all for your thoughts.

It seems to me that it takes in to account the initial intervals on buttons 3 and/or 4 when it determines the interval
for button 2 on the 2nd viewing of that card. This isn't how I expected it to work, but it seems it's that way.

Anyway, I've decided to go at it differently. I've set the intervals back to default. And as I study each word in the
card browser, if it's not a card I'd like to review like a new card, I reschedule it there, instead of waiting to assign it
a longer delay when coming across it in the review mode.

BTW, at this intermediate stage in my Thai learning, I'm finding it very rewarding to learn vocabulary on the
frequency list. Before this, I was rather inefficiently learning too many uncommon words, while not learning many
much more useful and common words.

Edited by DanWorld on 23 April 2012 at 1:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Javi
Spain
Joined 5912 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 10 of 10
23 April 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
DanWorld wrote:
I'm going through a frequency list deck, and many cards I know
already. Everything else is default, and I have set
the intervals to this:

Button 2 interval: 1-1.1 days (these are new words I want to see again as normal)
Button 3 interval: 25-35 days (these are words I know, but I'd like to see again in a
month)
Button 4 interval: 60-120 days (these are cards I know and don't want to see for a
while)

This works great, until I see a Button 2 card for the next viewing. When it comes up
the next day, the soonest
option is 15 days for some reason. I don't know why this is. I would expect it to
have an option of 2 days.

Could somebody tell me what I don't understand?

Thank you.

Just out of curiosity, what's the point in all that? I mean, if you want to set the
intervals yourself, why don't you use a calendar instead of a program that was
specifically designed to work out those intervals?. I don't use Anki because I prefer
the simplicity of mnemosyne, but for example let's take those really easy cards, those
that you sometimes add just for completion. All I have to do is hitting the "too essay"
button every time the card appears and the program will ensure that I won't see it more
than 9-10 times in a lifetime. Probably I shouldn't be adding that easy card in the
first place, but what's the point in wasting even more time tweaking the software or
thinking about the intervals? I actually think that putting information or options
about the intervals in the answer buttons is a thick design mistake, but that's just my
opinion.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version