12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Antisrcen
Canada
Joined 4539 days ago

10 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 12
21 April 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
So I'm planning to go to Italy for a year, I probably won't leave until the fall. I'll be
going to Scuola Leonardo Da Vinci, and I'll also probably be staying with a host family.

What I'm wondering is what is the most effective way for an introvert to make progress
through immersion? I almost never start conversations with strangers, and when strangers
make conversation with me it's usually short lived. I'm considering learning about
soccer, considering that that's apparently a huge part of European culture and a good
conversation topic.

Any other ideas?
1 person has voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4630 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 2 of 12
21 April 2012 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Just listen to other people talking.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5061 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 3 of 12
21 April 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Antisrcen wrote:

Any other ideas?

RAI is a good start. If you're not using Windows, though, make sure you have silverlight installed.

R.
==

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5193 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 4 of 12
22 April 2012 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
One good thing about learning a foreign language is that many people feel like they are or can be a somewhat different person in a second language. You might find that you may be as well, then again, you might not.

In a foreign language you don't bring along the same baggage as you do in your native tongue. You bring along different baggage- you're just another foreigner learning the language. In general you'll find people will be more willing to help you and to talk to you if you are sincere and kind. Sincerity and kindness are often rewarded with sincerity and kindness, not always but it is a general rule. As a good listener you will stand out because not many people are good listeners. Try to learn the many phrases for empathy, sympathy and agreement in your TL. Be courteous and polite. Acknowledge the day and by extension, the other person's humanity. Lightly apologize for your imperfection in Italian at the start. I think you'll find that people will take their time with you more.

You don't need any tricks. Your foreign accent, foreign body language and imperfection will be enough to intrigue many people. Just try to be interested and you will be interesting and under a lot less pressure to perform. That should make things easier for you, make you more popular and maybe even make you just a bit different in Italian than you are in English.   

Edited by iguanamon on 22 April 2012 at 1:01pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

이희선
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4900 days ago

56 posts - 97 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 12
22 April 2012 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Why don't you see if you can join a Soccer enthusiasts group...I'm sure you could meet some people through either
playing in a soccer group, or going to a soccer watching group or something like that.

That way, you will meet lots of different people, have a familiar and fun topic to talk about, and maybe you won't
feel pressure to hold only one person's attention for a long time since its a group setting.

You could also try some language exchanges or private tutors. I have made some nice friends that way, and then
they might introduce you to their other friends, and then you could find yourself going out to the pub or cafe or
whatever with them. Then you are with some people who are at most enthusiastic about your language learning and
like having fun and being relaxed and non-judgmental about talking, or at least they just don't care. But no one will
probably be mean about your lesser language skills because they know their friend is your teacher.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5697 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 12
22 April 2012 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
Your host family is a good starting point. Listen and smile and tell people you're sorry but you're not a big talker, and show them you're interested in listening to them. When your host family has friends over, stay with all of them if it's possible.
And about talking to strangers - it's not about talking to random people, it's about talking to enough people that you find someone who you can be friends with. It helps me to hang out with people who have a lot of friends and acquaintances.

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4555 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 7 of 12
22 April 2012 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
I myself am an introvert, but I am fond of public speaking and interacting with people. While I enjoy these
activities, which are seen contrary to being an introvert, they aren't really. What I tend to struggle with as an
introvert is spending full on time with a group of people. Doing so drains me and I need to spend an equal, or
usually greater, period of time alone to compensate.

Unless you're shy in addition to being introverted, the real issue shouldn't be speaking to people, but rather
recouperating from the time spent with people.

I am sure many people will say that it's difficult to start speaking in a foreign language. As you're learning at a
language school, you have a real advantage over others. You will be surrounded by others who are relative
beginners, so that should help. Living with a host family should help too. the fact of the matter is, no matter
how shy you are, immersion will probably mean that you have no choice but to speak if you want to get by.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5339 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 12
22 April 2012 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
If I were you I'd probably start looking for some clubs or group type activities to get involved in. You'll likely find speaking with others easier and more enjoyable when there's already a common subject of interest to talk about. You'll also be forced to interact with others, which might otherwise be the hardest part.

Edited by Sandman on 22 April 2012 at 7:50am

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version