United States
junglevision.co
Joined 6056 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 1 of 6
23 April 2012 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Here's an interesting youtube channel that hasn't gotten much notice. This guy makes videos the Lushootseed language.   Here he describes his rule that no English is to be used in the kitchen, which I think is kind of a fun and useful idea. He is quite prolific and has made many videos in his language. The orthography of this language is very interesting looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlUTaK7s5DE
6 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5061 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 6
23 April 2012 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
I like the idea of "language nests" where you can only use your TL. It's not overwhelming, and you're actually solidifying vocabulary and grammar one bit of your life at a time. Eventually, you have your entire day covered.

Good idea!

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4888 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 3 of 6
23 April 2012 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Really cool language, Lushootseed is! I had never heard of it before. I would like it if
we spoke a different language in my kitchen, but we just speak plain old English.

Edited by Ellsworth on 23 April 2012 at 11:46pm

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 6129 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 4 of 6
24 April 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
It's a really good idea b/c it gets you comfortable with all kinds of verbs and vocab for food and eating that are really useful but can be missing from ordinary language studies. Words like salty, crunchy, sour, mix, add, leave out, fry, steam, roll, pour, sprinkle, scoop, blend, chop, grind, peel, and of course the names for all the foods you eat.

We study a lot of food words in my Korean class, and there's a lot to learn. I keep handouts of kitchen/food words on my fridge, but hardly look at them, so maybe I should adopt this technique at my house, since I spend too much time in the kitchen every day.

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4555 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 5 of 6
24 April 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Oh this is awesome. Unfortunately, I live with people who wouldn't appreciate me babbling in what I think is
french (nonsensical rambling to the rest of the world). That and the fact that I am too early in my studies to
do much more than parrot. It's a good idea though.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5600 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 6
24 April 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
It is a great idea, and it caused a small realisation in my head. Many years ago, my French girlfriend told me she would help me cook meals, and she would do the washing up (I dried the plates), under the condition that we spoke only French. Given my lazy attitude to languages at this time, this was a great way of getting me to speak French for an hour or so a day. I had not realised it at the time, but now I see she was creating a language nest, and it worked very well. If she didn't hate me these days I should probably thank her.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version