Triglot
United States
Joined 4696 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 2
26 April 2012 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
It can be a little frustrating to try to find all the pieces to make LR work for many novels. There are a lot of interesting choices in the Spanish language section of our local bookstore; amazon has many more. Many of these books do not have audiobook versions anywhere I can find. Many audiobooks are abridged or are unavailable legally. At the intermediate level, one does not want to let one's pronunciation drift into bad habits, so some sort of audio input seems like it would be needed. When I used reading aloud as a big part of my learning of Samoan years ago, I did it while I was immersed in the language; my pronunciation never had a chance to pick up bad habits.

Do you think that you could keep up your pronunciation by doing some shadowing (or chorusing) for a few minutes a day, while spending most of your study time reading a novel aloud? I really like the idea of picking up a big Spanish novel, preferably along with an English translation and/or a dictionary and just have at it. I used to like to do a little interlinear translation of words that I didn't know, so that I could get started reading right away. The slowly decreasing number of unknown words per page would be an indication progress.

I was thinking that I might shadow a podcast or newscast, or something else with audio and a transcript for a few minutes each day and then spend the rest of my time reading aloud. Does this sound sane? Any other suggestions?

steve
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5697 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 2
26 April 2012 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Of course it's a good idea, I think many users of this forum do something similar.

Personally, I think one's level should be high enough to kind of read the text, and not puzzle over the meaning of most sentences. I randomly read pages aloud when reading novels in my languages (even German) to check my pronunciation and intonation; especially in English I often know what words mean but when trying to read them aloud I suddenly realize I'm not completely sure about their pronunciation. But that only works because the contrast between the words I know well and the ones I have to guess is very obvious, it doesn't work when I have to guess too many words.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version