Tags: Memory
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Jedidiah
United States
Joined 4750 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 1 of 2
01 May 2012 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
Which is more effective in carrying memory into the long term – to review right before
you forget, or right after you forget?

This is about spaced repetition. I’ve heard that the most optimal time to review what you
have last learned is right before you forget that learning. But it seems that when I
relearn an item I recently forgot, I tend to gain a new impression concerning the item,
hence a refortification in the memory bank regarding that item. So I’m wondering if
relearning an item after recently having forgotten it might be better for storing it in
the long term? Any information or idea on this? Thanks!

Edited by Jedidiah on 01 May 2012 at 3:15am

2 persons have voted this message useful

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4728 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 2 of 2
01 May 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Jedidiah wrote:
Which is more effective in carrying memory into the long term – to
review right before
you forget, or right after you forget?

This is about spaced repetition. I’ve heard that the most optimal time to review what
you
have last learned is right before you forget that learning. But it seems that when I
relearn an item I recently forgot, I tend to gain a new impression concerning the item,
hence a refortification in the memory bank regarding that item. So I’m wondering if
relearning an item after recently having forgotten it might be better for storing it in
the long term? Any information or idea on this? Thanks!

I believe,it is better to repeat before you forget. It is my experience. When you
forget, you learn it again. For the same effect you have to invest much more effort.
And when we speak about the spaced repetition, there are two kinds of if. First, you
repeat with long intervals, you are still able to recollect the meaning but you need
some effort and time. The second, with short intervals, you know the meaning
immediately or with a short time. The intervals should be something between, I think.
And it is very good to complement this memory drill with reading (ideally several
times, again with some intervals) and listening. Your memory drill is then easier, you
have longer intervals and you still recollect the meaning in a short time and you
remember for longer time. Remembering for longer time - I mean, that you stop with
repating each word after a definite number of repetitions. You keep it in memory by
other ways, by real using the language.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version