Joined 6396 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 17 of 57
03 January 2011 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
sjheiss wrote:
You can not say that one language is universally hard or easy

As I mentioned before, I think you are the only one in this thread talking about languages being universally hard or
easy. Did you check the links I gave you?

sjheiss wrote:
the learner can make it as hard or as easy for themselves as they want.

That would be a neat trick.

sjheiss wrote:
You don't have to be fluent in a language to have knowledge about languages.

Your knowledge about learning languages will be limited until you have actually learned one yourself. Hence, several
of your statements. A little advice. You're young. Go out and learn a lot more before you try to teach.
5 persons have voted this message useful

carlonove
United States
Joined 5832 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 18 of 57
03 January 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
It's extremely bad form to curse at other members here, sjheiss, let alone at very frequent contributors (and, God help you, at Leosmith). You are shooting yourself in the foot by attacking a very accomplished language learner, rather than trying to learn whatever you can from him. It shouldn't even need to be stated, but there is a very real difference in linguistic perspective between somebody who's fluent in one language and somebody who's fluent in five.

Edited by carlonove on 03 January 2011 at 2:59pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 19 of 57
03 January 2011 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Hm, I ctually think it ca nbe that lthough Korean grammar has not many irregularities (except for passive and causative), but learning to use the correct form can be really hard - 하군요 vs 하네요 vs 하구만
Or because you cnnot guess the meaning of a new word (like you can in Japanese knowing kanji - 연기 - acting skill if you know hanja, you can guess the meaning, but if you have no idea about it, it's just a word - most language don't have such specific words - they are specific beacause of Chinese characters).
s for Arbic, I just learned it a little bit...
making plural can be complicated, reading it... and grammar is somewhat strange, but I cannot say, I have learned about it few years ago.
2 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6225 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 57
03 January 2011 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
OK let's get back on topic here and cease the back and forth bickering.
4 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5813 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 57
03 January 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
I've deleted a message here - I meant only to edit it to remove the end, which was not relevant to the thread topic, but it looks like I hit delete rather than edit. At any rate, please continue the conversation without personal attacks. That's not acceptable here. Profanity is OK when it is a topic of discussion, but not when directed at another forum member.

Edit: looks like two of us got it at the same time - that explains it!

Edited by meramarina on 03 January 2011 at 3:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6225 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 57
03 January 2011 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
I've deleted a message here - I meant only to edit it to remove the end, which was not relevant to the thread topic, but it looks like I hit delete rather than edit.

It was me. I got to it first.

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4960 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 23 of 57
03 January 2011 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Back on topic, I can't talk for Korean, but Arabic can be difficult for native speaker of European languages and
who've had no previous experience of Semitic languages for a lot of reasons. The alphabet is one that is always
mentionned a bit too quickly for my liking. Sure, I learnt 3 alphabets before that one, but if you put the effort in
for a week or two, that's one thing done, and the only things that are difficult about it is the fact that it doesn't
resemble our usual letters like Greek or Cyrillic could and letters generally have two or three different shapes.

Regarding the grammar, as someone said before, it's easy. However, the amount of grammar there is make it
quite difficult, for you need to learn a silly amount of rules and it can be very confusing and soul-destroying at
times. What, I would say, is the hardest in Arabic is the vocabulary, because it's very rich and synonyms are very
much in use. It's rather rare to find the same noun twice in the same sentence if it has a synonym, except in
textbooks.

I guess it's a difficult language for who isn't acquainted with learning languages very well, and it will be
challenging for them.

carlonove
United States
Joined 5832 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 24 of 57
03 January 2011 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Sjheiss, I never said anything about you being dumb, it's simply disrespectful to curse at anyone on the forum, regardless of their achievements. I agree with you that a lot of people write off languages as "difficult" because they use a different script, when culture and vocabulary are the real issue. Scripts are concrete and relatively easier master with a few dozen hours, barring languages that use ideograms. Once you've mastered a script you still have to figure out what it all the words mean. Reaching basic or advanced fluency is not as tangible as learning a script and takes most people thousands of hours. The ones who've gone through that process usually have some valuable insight. Feel free to care about whatever you like, however.

Edited by carlonove on 03 January 2011 at 9:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version