Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Accelerative Integrated Methodology (AIM)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1
mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5160 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 9 of 11
26 February 2011 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
OK, I've had a quick look at the video and here's what I think.

First of all, there seems to be a lot of attention placed on the gesture-based component of the course. To quote Wifried Decoo:
"A new method draws its originality and its force from a concept that is stressed above all others. Usually it is an easy to understand concept that speaks to the imagination.

Exactly. That is the 'new toy' effect that Michael Swan described so well some 25 years ago, in its full glory (see 'A critical look at the Communicative Approach' 1 & 2, ELT Journal #39, 1985).

Quote:
Typical is that such a single idea, which only represents a component, becomes the focal point as if being the total method. This publicity-rhetoric gives the impression of total reform, while often all that happens is a shift in accentuation, or the viewing from a different angle, because many common components remain included in each method."
(Yes, that is my favourite link. I will not apologise for this - I feel this is the single most important piece of writing on language teaching ever. Everyone interested in language teaching or learning should read the full lecture.)

What, apologize for that? If it's really your favorite you'll have posted it more than once and it's really a shame I didn't see it before. You really made my day with that, thank you very very much! The most important piece of writing on language teaching ever, indeed.

I've cleaned it up and stashed it in case it vanishes from the internet, and I'll probably be translating it soon. W-o-w.

My favorite quote so far: "Up to the 18th century teachers became teachers solely because of their knowledge. Their function was to pass on content." That makes me not only old fashioned, but someone from the 18th century in this world of washed-down teaching and learning. How reassuring, these old news :)

I mean, thank you for the link!

1 person has voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 6003 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 10 of 11
17 March 2011 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
I have found the website of the creator of AIM
which includes samples from the DVDs, plus lists of words and phrases taught.

thank you Splog, nice search dude. now my turn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wFmQU4IStg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyGytj1Tirc

hahahahah I know they're quite silly BUT... somehow there's something there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuiikin%27_English wrote:

At the beginning of the show, the host and mastermind, Fernandez Verde, demonstrates his philosophy in learning languages. He proclaims that different cultures use muscles in different proportions due to their customs. For example, in one episode he states Japanese people have stronger lower back muscles (from bowing and keeping a lower posture), and a different leg muscle structure (due to squatting for long periods of time). He feels that using those particular muscles while learning the language of that culture will create strong connotations in your mind and faster learning.

Then a sketch starts like an ordinary language lesson program. Every time a new English phrase is introduced, the sketch pauses and switches to the Zuiikin Gals, a threesome gymnastic exercise team. They start to perform synchronised exercises with innocent smiles on their faces while chanting the phrase hypnotically to idyllic techno-pop sounds. The choice of phrases include the following:

* Take anything you want
    * Spare me my life
    * I was robbed by two men
    * How dare you say such a thing to me
    * Unbelievable! It's amazing! We did it!
    * I can't stand the sight of you
    * Never mind
    * You drive me crazy
    * Don't make fun of me
    * Leave me alone
    * Is there anyone who speaks Japanese
    * Let's go Dutch
    * It's your fault that this happened
    * Hasta la vista, baby
    * I have a bad case of diarrhea

In the final episode, three English native speakers formed the Zuiikin Boys and demonstrated gymnastic movements while chanting supposedly useful Japanese phrases. One such phrase, "tsumaranai mono desuga" (つまらない物ですが) ends up translating rather roughly to "please accept this trifling thing". No translations are provided during these Japanese lessons as they are for the English lessons, only Japanese characters and romanisations.

2 persons have voted this message useful

sduckworth
Canada
about.me/sylviaduckw
Joined 4584 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 11 of 11
05 March 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
I am a French teacher in Canada who has been using AIM for 12 years now. My students (8 - 11 yrs. old) are
reaching fluency levels I never dreamed possible in a Core French class (40 minutes/day). Here is some more info on
AIM:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h-SXGKJsSpumfr54_7fFGYbP sd9woHk4McakxosdClA/edit

Edited by sduckworth on 09 March 2012 at 7:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version