Hexaglot
Wales
Joined 4649 days ago

22 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, FrenchC2, Lowland Scots, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Catalan
Studies: Welsh, Tok Pisin, German, Italian

Message 9 of 30
01 October 2011 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Ach, this is one of the problems that I've always abhorred, which you get with a
minority of individuals teaching their native language; they can be convinced that their
dialect is what the entire class should be aiming for.

Funnily enough, I had the opposite situation - throughout my education, there were one
or two teachers (including university lecturers who really should have known better!)
who would admonish me for speaking in porteño Spanish and not Peninsular Spanish. Your
daughter will be understood by nearly everyone wherever she goes, and the idea that
something as little as distinguishing between /θ/ and /s/ or dropping a few consonants
will impede her ability to communicate is absolute codswallop. This teacher has no right
to try to modify her accent one bit.
1 person has voted this message useful

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5317 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 10 of 30
01 October 2011 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
My daughter is in her third year of Spanish, and like me she speaks with an Andalusian accent. She is not fluent by a long shot, so she speaks slowly, and with a simplified vocabulary. She does however differentiate between c/z and s (which we do in both Almeria, Granada capital and Jaen where I and she have learned our Spanish) and she also cuts s and d from the end of the syllable.

Her teacher, who is from Peru, is trying to bully her into speaking with a Latin-American accent, and not make any differentiation between c/z and s, claiming that it is too difficult to understand for her. Since I have spoken Andalusian for 38 years, and never ever met a native Spaniard or Latin-American who did not understand my Spanish, and my accent is a lot heavier than hers and comes out 5 times faster, I find that incredibly difficult to believe. My best friend is also from Peru, and she has never had any problems with my accent.

I would have understood it if she had asked her to put in s and d at the end of the syllable,even though in my opinion she should be able to deal with that too, but to say that it is difficult to understand it because of the differenciation between c/z and s I find unbelievable. Had it not been for the fact that my daughter is the most truthful person I know, I would have accused her of lying.

So what do you think, is it half way credible, that someone who is a native speaker would not be able to handle that you do not have the "seseo"?

Someone who claims not to understand an Andalusian accent has no business getting paid to teach Spanish. I am a native Rioplatense Spanish speaker and I have practically no trouble understanding Andalusian Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5180 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 30
01 October 2011 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
LorenzoGuapo wrote:
I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Trust me, if that was me in that class room, she would not have deared to try to change my accent, but this is my 15 year old daughter, who is not so stubborn as I am.

LorenzoGuapo
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6290 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: French

Message 12 of 30
02 October 2011 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
@ Solfrid Cristina, that's quite understandable.

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5612 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 13 of 30
02 October 2011 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
So, I don't speak Spanish to a level that is good enough to answer the query in this
topic effectively, and I certainly don't have the knowledge required about the dialects
involved. However, unless the Andalusian accent and pronunciation is radically
different from that of the Peruvian one, making it genuinely difficult to understand
for speakers of "Peruvian Spanish", for want of a better expression, then there's no
reason why your daughter should be forced to change her accent or pronunciation. Also,
now having just looked up the Andalusian varieties of Spanish, Andalusian seems to be
the "most distinct of the southern varieties of peninsular Spanish" and is the "second
most spoken dialect in Spain". These facts for me alone say that your daughter's
teacher should be able to understand at the very least, and if she doesn't, which I
doubt, she should certainly not be above taking the time and making the effort to get
used to the way your daughter speaks Spanish. She has absolutely no right, in my
opinion, to influence your daughter's pronunciation. This just sounds like your
daughter's teacher views her own way of speaking Spanish as the way it should be
spoken. Which in itself is okay, I suppose, but she should keep that opinion to
herself. In any case, I think it's great that your daughter (and you, for that matter,
Solfrid) use anything but the standard language :]

To give you some kind of comparison, I am very quickly getting used to and therefore
adopting the way that my girlfriend speaks French. She's from Brussels and her
pronunciation is a little different in places to what I learnt as Standard French, and
her grammar is a bit different in places. We have a few mutual French friends, none of
whom seem to notice when she, or even I as a supposed learner, use expressions found in
Belgian French instead of the standard language. In my view the vocabulary things are
very small but the grammar differences are fairly major - and yet none of our friends
try to change the way we speak, except for one or two little vocabulary things that
have become inside jokes. In short, I think your daughter's teacher is being very
unreasonable, especially now we've heard from a couple of native speakers who don't
think the teacher in question should have any trouble.

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 02 October 2011 at 7:39am

drp9341
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 4758 days ago

115 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 14 of 30
05 October 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
I just got back from andalucia recently, and I had no problem understanding it. And I was used to mexicans lol.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4902 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 15 of 30
05 October 2011 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
They drop final s. Does it mean that there is no plural for nouns and adjectives?

Hierbabuena
Spain
Joined 4874 days ago

19 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: EnglishB2, Mandarin

Message 16 of 30
05 October 2011 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
There are still plurals because we pronunce the preceding vowel slightly different
(depending of your Andalusian accent this is done in differents ways, usually we just
make it longer).

It's the same with final consonants, in some Andalusian accents (or because of the
following word or if we are speaking really fast) are droped, but in others we make the
vowel longer finishing with the tongue in the same position as we where about to pronunce
the consonant, but we don't. This change a little the sound of the vocal and we can tell
the difference. I think it's the same than in Korean.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version