Triglot
Argentina
Joined 5914 days ago

248 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 17 of 30
06 October 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
I moved to Seville a few months ago. My background in Spanish is pure Argentinian. When speaking to people here, they look at me strangely when I say "vos" instead of "tu". Some even go so far as to say I should change, but I give them two reasons why I will not. Firstly, it is instinctive, so I automatically use it, as well as the Rioplatense pronunciation of "ll/y", and the use of Uds instead of vosotros etc.
The second reason is that I am immensely proud of my association with Argentina and its beautiful sounding language, and, after being told that I should conform, would not even dream of it!

I do find them quite hard to understand though, I am sure I will get used to it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4704 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 30
08 October 2011 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I am just beginning to learn Spanish. I have studied for about 7 or 8 months now on my own. I watch a lot of movies in Spanish, and at first I didn't notice different accents because I didn't understand anything that was being said anyway :) But later, when I began to understand more, I began to notice the differences in accents. Once I got used to movies from Argentina vs movies from Mexico vs movies from Spain and so on, even as a beginner I have very little trouble adjusting to the different accents. The only accent that remains a problem for me is Cuban, which I can't seem to understand at all!

If I, as such a beginner, can cope with different accents certainly a native speaker should have no trouble at all. (Personally, I think I favor the Argentinian accent, and I tend to use that as my model in practicing pronunciation, although I think I'll pass on "vos". Life is complicated enough without compounding problems needlessly. :) )
1 person has voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4588 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 19 of 30
29 November 2011 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
KimG wrote:
Is this in a Norwegian school? I thought the Norwegian schools taught european Spanish, so the european dialects of Spanish would be prefered rather than south american?

Seseo is present in European Spanish too: in Seville, Córdoba and Canaries!
It was Seville that exported the seseo to the Americas.
Furthermore, there are seseantes in the provinces of Pontevedra and Badajoz too!
Extremadura and Galicia also sent many immigrants to Latin America.

Edited by Camundonguinho on 29 November 2011 at 1:41am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5173 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 20 of 30
29 November 2011 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
Camundonguinho wrote:
Seseo is present in European Spanish too: in Seville, Córdoba and Canaries!
It was Seville that exported the seseo to the Americas.

You are absolutely right, but since my daughter (and I) learned Spanish in Almeria, Granada capital, and Jaen we do not have it as part of our dialects.

Mad Max
Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 4890 days ago

79 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Russian
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 21 of 30
29 November 2011 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Pfff! Granada is one of the worse accents. It is not political correct but when I was in
Granada I almost didn't understand people, and my native tongue is European Spanish.

For example they say: E-ta shorrá é de Graná (Esta chorrada es de Granada). This thing
is from Granada. They sometimes only pronounce half of the word.

So, there are several accents also in Andalusia. The worse one is from Granada. For
instance, I undestand people from Seville perfectly.

I begin to undestand the Peruvian teacher...

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5173 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 22 of 30
29 November 2011 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Mad Max wrote:
Pfff! Granada is one of the worse accents.
I begin to undestand the Peruvian teacher...

Please keep in mind that there is a vast difference between the Spanish spoken by a native Spaniard and a Norwegian who has learned Spanish in school for two and a half years, even if she has spent the summers in Jaen. I have yet to meet anyone from any Spanish speaking community who does not understand me, and my accent is a lot heavier than my daughter's.

Anyway I today talked to the teacher. I was so irritated both over the accent thing, and the fact that she puts my daughter and the other good students in groups with the weakest students, which means that they simply have to do their homework, that I had asked a friend for advice on how I could put it to her in a positive way, so as not to antagonize her.

I explained to her how demotivating it was for my daughter to never be in a group with other hard working students, so that she could actually learn something, and that it was important to me that my daughter got to keep her accent.

She claimed that she had of course never asked my daughter to change her accent, she had just asked her to slow down a bit (I do not believe her, but I could not exactly accuse her of lying, so I let that one pass). She also promised that she would put my daughter in a group with at least one other student that was motivated.

She ended by saying that my daughter was such a sweet girl, that she was on a level all by herself, that she demanded so much more of her than anyone else in the class, and that she was the one pupil that "saved her life" in that class. After that, I found it a tad difficult to yell at the woman :-)

I did the whole thing in Spanish, just to drive the point of the Andalusian connection home to her. We ended the conversation on good terms, and I really think things will change. She knows that I am very aware of what goes on, but not one impolite word was exchanged. Since my youngest daughter also wants to learn Spanish, and will get the very same teacher, that was important to me too.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 29 November 2011 at 10:43pm

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5405 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 23 of 30
30 November 2011 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Just curious Solfrid, but are these classes that your daughter is taking private ones? That is not as part of her
schooling? If so, and let's say this teacher continues to cause problems for you and your daughter, why not simply
look for another teacher? Ideally one that is from Andalucía who will be able to reinforce the accent?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5173 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 24 of 30
30 November 2011 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
I am afraid that this is part of her schooling, but as I said, I have good hope that things will change.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version