forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5065 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 25 of 30
30 November 2011 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
They drop final s. Does it mean that there is no plural for nouns and adjectives?

No, it doesn't. It means they mispronounce it.

---

Actually I'm on both sides here.

First, there is no such thing as a single 'Andalusian accent', or even a single 'Granada accent' (where coincidentally I 'am from'). For whatever the reason, I think Andalusian accents seem to vary more from one side of the region to the other than in the whole of Latin America (and I know 'very' different Spanish accents from LA). Even my mother and her sister, who were raised together, developed different accents as adults, and I mean things like 'seseo' showing its head or not.

Then I have to agree that some Granada accents are among the most horrid I have ever listened to, to the point where they can truly verge incomprehensibility for other native speakers. My best friend's mom, who has been where our families live for the last forty years, still has trouble understanding the natives, and for good reason.
As you may know from other posts of mine, I think languages are a tool for communication and not for isolation, so while I concede there is some beauty in diversity, I'm completely for losing regional features that stretch mutual intelligibility, especially in the younger generations.

However, I doubt very much that Solfrid's daughter has such a heavy accent, and a seemingly neutral Andalusian accent, where you drop final 's's and participle 'd's but still distinguish between c/z and s should be understandable by any native Spanish speaker, just like most Mexican or Argentinian accents, so my answer is: 'very probably not, it's hardly believable.'

Sorry for the late reply, but I have other 'addictions' I have to pay attention to :)

@Mad Max: btw, 'chorrada' doesn't exactly translate to 'thing'; I'd go more for 'poppycock', or 'bullshit', so you're not probably missing anything anyway.

Edited by mrwarper on 30 November 2011 at 12:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

amethyst32
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5488 days ago

118 posts - 198 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 26 of 30
03 December 2011 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Renaçido wrote:
As a Latin American who 1. doesn't distinguish c/z and s and 2. pronounces pretty much every s, I have to say that that Peruvian teacher should improve his/her Spanish.

Why is it so far fetched that an individual Peruvian might find a particular regional Spanish accent harder to understand? I myself have had trouble in the past with understanding certain regional British accents (particularly those from the north of the country) and that's really all it seems that this teacher is saying. Flippancy aside, I don't think that means that she needs to go and improve her Spanish any more than it means I need to improve on my own native language.

As for Solfrid Christin's situation, if it were me then yes I could see myself having a calm chat with the teacher about it, but I have to say I'm not feeling the outrage in some of the responses to the OP.

Edited by amethyst32 on 03 December 2011 at 2:30pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5173 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 27 of 30
04 December 2011 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
@amethyst

If you had read my posts you might have seen that

a) We are not dealing with how difficult it might be to understand a native speaker at full speed, but a child who is speaking with a slight Andalusian accent, and a limited vocabulary

b) What makes me mad is not whether this teacher might have difficulties understanding such a dialect, but that she is bullying my daughter into dropping differentiating between s/c because it is most convenient to her. If my daughter were to go and live in Peru, that might be a good choice, but since she, (and the rest of the class most likely), will be spending most of her time in a place where they do differentiate between s/c that is really bad advice. I am by the way also sceptical to the teacher for a number of other reasons, mainly that she is making the whole class hate Spanish as a subject, but I will let that pass for now.

c) I just have had a calm chat with the teacher about it. If you read my previous post you will see that.

And I will repeat, that since my best friend is from Peru, and that she has never had any trouble understanding me, who speak 5 times faster than my daughter, I find the whole thing very difficult to believe.

oruixo13
Triglot
Australia
Joined 4258 days ago

33 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: FrenchB2, Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Mandarin

Message 28 of 30
27 February 2013 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
I have a question. As a native speaker of Spanish from the centre of Spain, I
differentiate between s and c/z, but I have other habits like swapping "le", "lo", "la",
etc.

So here's the question: what do you find so appealing in Andalusian, Latin american
pronunciation? Do you find it more "latino", more warm?

Sorry if it's off topic.

Registrador
Tetraglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4865 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Italian
Studies: German, Czech

Message 29 of 30
28 February 2013 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
First world problems

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6436 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 30
28 February 2013 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Cristina, how did that work out in the end?

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version