Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Acquire vocabulary through reading

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: What’s the most efficient way to acquire vocabulary through reading?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [52.54%]
7 [11.86%]
21 [35.59%]
You can not vote in this poll

35 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4622 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 9 of 35
17 February 2012 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
How long are the stories you read? Instead of reading twice, you can choose something long, like a 400+ page book or a series of books, where the first 50-100 pages will be more difficult but there's a lot of repetition and the rest of the book should be easier.

@geoffw, yeah, exactly. i tend to look up unknown words in parts i like most. Sometimes it's even a necessity, if I add a sentence or two to SRS I prefer to know every word there.

For myself, I've also been trying to mix up the materials, as well (better vocab diversity, and to keep interest up). I read lots of news articles (online you can copy-paste words into electronic dictionaries, which is much faster than using paper dictionaries), wikipedia articles, kids books, etc. I'm currently going through a German translation of Lord of the Rings, so that's quite long, and I've learned words relating to medieval warfare, epic poetry and feudalism quite well by now. I've also been reading Kafka's short stories, so I can feel like I'm finishing something substantial on a regular basis, as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6531 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 35
17 February 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Oh, LOTR <3 I read it when I had just reached basic fluency in Finnish, and it definitely got more and more enjoyable as I understood more and more. You may want to read The Hobbit or Narnia as well. I'd personally also recommend David Eddings.

Tbh I'm also like that, with short stories. Sometimes it gets ridiculous - I got a book of vampire stories in Finnish, and I've been reading them starting from the shortest, those that are under 10 pages long. i mean hello, it's not a problem for me to read 100 pages in Finnish! I don't know why this preference:/

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5894 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 11 of 35
17 February 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
In order to keep the flow going while I read, I only look up words if I've seen them before or if they strike me as somehow interesting. Works well enough.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4605 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 35
20 February 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for everybody’s remarks and suggestions so far. I’m surprised at how many people think pure reading is
the better choice. I wish I could learn that way, but it just doesn’t work for me.

I want to elaborate a little more about what I’m doing with the languages I've listed, so that I can address some of
the replies better. This is what I’m doing now, but I’m always open to advice, so it’s not written in stone.

I’m only maintaining Japanese, French and Mandarin - I read every other day. Day one, I read an article looking up
every unknown word. This goes pretty smoothly with LingQ. I don’t review the new words. Then I listen to the audio
that comes with it while reading, and finally listen to the audio by itself. Later that day, I listen to the audio again
during my daily walk. Day two, I repeat this with the same article. I usually don’t have to look up as many words this
time, and both reading and listening are easier. You might ask why I bother looking up words if I’m only
maintaining. I’ve found that injecting some new material really helps the whole memorization process. It doesn’t
take much to make a significant improvement over only maintaining old material.

In addition to the reading exercise above, I have a 30 min conversation with a tutor on Skype once per week. I look
up all new words, but don’t review them. I watch a TV show or movie for 1 or 2 hours per week, rarely using L1
subtitles, and if I do use them, never the first time around. I do flashcards for individual characters, words
(Mandarin only) and core2000 L2 to L1 sentence for Japanese and Mandarin. No flashcards for French.

Russian is the language I want to take all the way to C1 now. For reading, I’m going to do the same thing I do with
the other languages, but do it every day. I’ve debated reviewing the vocabulary in LingQ, but decided against it in
favor of reviewing vocabulary from other sources. It’s a time consideration, since I’ll be working full time, and will
be limited to about 3 hours a day including review time. I don’t want too high of a percentage of my time to be used
as review.

I will have a 1 hour lesson twice per week, and a 1 hour language exchange. I will probably get homework from the
lesson. Lessons will be all Russian. I will take down every unknown word and review it in an Anki deck. I will watch
30 minutes of a Russian movie or TV show every day. I will do my homework and reviews every day.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4622 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 13 of 35
20 February 2012 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Ironically, I notice now that most people say "just read," I myself said "read, lookup, and review," and yet for the most part (though not exclusively), I tend to read, lookup, and NOT review--which almost no one thought was best. My thinking here is that 1) words that are at all common I will review by coming across them again in my reading, which is usually the best review for me and 2) it's faster to not write down and make flashcards and review.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5141 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 35
21 February 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Ironically, I notice now that most people say "just read," I myself said "read, lookup, and review," and yet for the most part (though not exclusively), I tend to read, lookup, and NOT review--which almost no one thought was best. My thinking here is that 1) words that are at all common I will review by coming across them again in my reading, which is usually the best review for me and 2) it's faster to not write down and make flashcards and review.

Exactly my thoughts.

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4605 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 15 of 35
21 February 2012 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
geoffw wrote:
Ironically, I notice now that most people say "just read," I myself said "read,
lookup, and review," and yet for the most part (though not exclusively), I tend to read, lookup, and NOT review--
which almost no one thought was best. My thinking here is that 1) words that are at all common I will review by
coming across them again in my reading, which is usually the best review for me and 2) it's faster to not write down
and make flashcards and review.

Exactly my thoughts.

Even though I voted for the third option, I also find myself doing the second. Are you guys reviewing vocabulary
from other sources at all? And are you finding that option 2 is giving you sufficient vocabulary assimilation?

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6883 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 16 of 35
21 February 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
What I do is similar to the third one. I underline unknown words to look up later so as
not to interrupt the flow of my reading, and after I'm finished I go back and look up
the ones I think might be interesting and/or potentially useful. Then, after I've
reviewed the sentences with Anki for a few weeks, I read the material again with a much
higher rate of comprehension.

I don't do the second one because I have a really bad memory, so looking up something
in the dictionary without noting and reviewing it would be a complete waste of time for
me. I would be looking up the same word 5 times each chapter, forgetting it again each
time.

The first one - reading without looking anything up, or better, while only looking up
words that come up repeatedly and can't be figured out from context - is actually what
I believe to be the best option, so that's what I voted for. I say this because this
method of reading seems to be a recurring theme among my polyglot heroes: Professor
Arguelles, Kato Lomb, atamagaii, and many, many others. I also think that this would
get me to read more, because my current system is a lot of work, and this sometimes
causes me to avoid reading. This all-or-nothing perfectionist attitude is my worst
enemy when it comes to language learning! But try as I might, I can't quiet the little
voice in my head that says I'm wasting my time if I don't look everything up. I hope to
give this voice the kiss of death by participating in at least one Tadoku challenge
this year.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 21 February 2012 at 2:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version