Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Acquire vocabulary through reading

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: What’s the most efficient way to acquire vocabulary through reading?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [52.54%]
7 [11.86%]
21 [35.59%]
You can not vote in this poll

35 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4622 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 17 of 35
21 February 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Even though I voted for the third option, I also find myself doing the second. Are you guys reviewing vocabulary
from other sources at all? And are you finding that option 2 is giving you sufficient vocabulary assimilation?

For the most part, my vocabulary "review" is just more input, mostly written and some audio. I don't necessarily think this is a universal solution, though. I'm currently working to improve my German, but I'm pretty sure my passive skills are at least at C1 already. So 1) there are a lot of English cognates that I can pick up pretty easily (usually, but not always, without bothering to look them up), and 2) most other unknown words are constructed from words I already know according to the quasi-scientific patterns upon which German is built, which makes them easier to remember (usually). For improving from a lower level in a less "scientific" language with fewer cognates, things might be very different.

Also, my goal at this point is to get as MUCH extended vocabulary as I can, as quickly as I can, and this approach works well for that. I can tell that it may take longer for the new words to "grow roots," but most of these words will not make up the core of my conversational vocabulary, so I'm fine with that. When I occasionally make and use flash cards (which I basically stopped doing a month ago), I feel like I'm growing those roots faster, but for FAR fewer words, and the lack of context on a flash card means I get proportionally less "bang for the buck" on my time spent anyways, and I don't always learn how to use and understand the words idiomatically that way.

When I was using flash cards, it was to help me learn high-frequency newspaper words that I wasn't quite mastering from context alone. (I had/have an especially tough time remembering the differences between all the "-trag" words, Auftrag, Betrag, Vertrag, Abtrag, Beitrag, Eintrag, etc.) Flash cards were useful in these cases because just reading more wasn't enough to make it stick.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6637 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 35
22 February 2012 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
I divide my reading into extensive and intensive. Extensive reading is done for the content and for ease and speed of reading, and I look as little as possible up. That means that I don't lern many words, unless of course I'm reading an article about something which explains what the unknown terms mean. Intensive reading is done to learn words and constructions, and I look things up (almost) no matter how long it takes, and I review new words through my wordlists. So I would have to use two dots, not one.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4605 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 19 of 35
22 February 2012 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Check out Arekkusu's self-talk exercise. Also,
consider writing your thoughts down (or translating texts into) your target languages.

I consider this to be on topic, since all language learning is pretty much related. I like the exercise, but as with many other techniques I read about, I wonder if taking something
else out of my language plan in order to do this would make me more efficient, or get me to C1 faster. Regardless, knowing about this give me more choices, so thanks!

Some other "new" things I am considering from this website are
tanya b wrote:
every day describe something complicated, like a TV show plot in my target language. It was excruciating at first, but eventually got easier.

and the "Listening-Reading system". Sorry, I'm unable to post any links.

Lucky Charms wrote:
I don't do the second one because I have a really bad memory, so looking up something
in the dictionary without noting and reviewing it would be a complete waste of time for
me. I would be looking up the same word 5 times each chapter, forgetting it again each
time.

I also have a bad memory. The main reason I do it is for Japanese and Mandarin, I hate reading and guessing, or
skipping over, pronunciations I don't know. For me, Japanese is worse than Mandarin in this regard, but they are both
pretty annoying if I don't know a character's reading. I like to read out loud, which probably magnifies my annoyance
with not knowing the reading. Also, since I'm using LingQ now, looking up words is not very time consuming. The same
would probably be true with a mouse-over dictionary.

Lucky Charms wrote:
my current system is a lot of work, and this sometimes causes me to avoid reading

Formerly, I was using paper. I don't like reading on my computer, but paper has it's drawbacks. It would take me a really
long time to look up words, so I didn't enjoy that exercise. Have you ever considered switching to the computer?

1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6883 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 20 of 35
22 February 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
my current system is a lot of work, and this sometimes causes me to
avoid reading

Formerly, I was using paper. I don't like reading on my computer, but paper has it's
drawbacks. It would take me a really long time to look up words, so I didn't enjoy that
exercise. Have you ever considered switching to the computer?
[/QUOTE]

I don't like to read on the computer, because it strains my eyes and I have trouble
concentrating. I do like to read on the Kindle, but unfortunately this doesn't have any
real advantages over a book until I can find a good Japanese dictionary for it.

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6791 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 21 of 35
28 February 2012 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
I look up every word in wordreference.com and put all example sentences and, more often than not, the word and its definition into Anki.

It takes time, but the more words you know, the better it gets.

It's worth it in the long run. The pay off is rewarding.

Randwulf
United States
Joined 4826 days ago

32 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 22 of 35
03 March 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
This is how I went about reading German. It's my first foreign language, so there was a
bit of trial and error.

When I began, any word I wasn't sure of, or that I hadn't seen before, I'd look up and
write down in my notebook. This led to me reading very slowly. After reading a chapter,
I'd read that chapter again. This re-reading seemed beneficial back when I had to look
up a lot of words, but as the number of unknown words became less and less, I found it
more useful (and fun) to just read each chapter once.

After a while I changed my strategy to only looking up words that I could not imply the
meaning of. If the context made me fairly sure of the word meaning, I'd just continue.
Oddly, I found that I retained the definition of such words more easily this way, than
if I had looked them up and written them down. I'm guessing this is because my
decreased reliance on the dictionary led to increased effort spent to deduce the
meaning from context, and I guess this is a superior way to learn...
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4622 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 23 of 35
04 March 2012 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
Randwulf wrote:
After a while I changed my strategy to only looking up words that I could not imply the
meaning of. If the context made me fairly sure of the word meaning, I'd just continue.
Oddly, I found that I retained the definition of such words more easily this way, than
if I had looked them up and written them down. I'm guessing this is because my
decreased reliance on the dictionary led to increased effort spent to deduce the
meaning from context, and I guess this is a superior way to learn...

IMHO...A meaning in a dictionary never perfectly captures the meaning and usage of a word the way an authentic
contextual example can. But, by looking up a word, you VERY quickly build a connection in the brain between an
idea that already exists in your brain (in connection with a different language), and the L2 word.

By learning in context, by contrast, you get a more exact understanding of the word in L2 and a stronger
foundation for the word in your brain, but the process can be slower, especially for uncommon non-cognates,
because you have to build the associative meaning network in the brain from scratch instead of exploiting the
preexisting structures in your brain.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6877 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 24 of 35
07 March 2012 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Thanks for everybody’s remarks and suggestions so far. I’m surprised at how many people think pure reading is the better choice. I wish I could learn that way, but it just doesn’t work for me.

There may be a gap between what people think, or say they think, and what they actually do. How many people have really tried to take themselves to an advanced level in a language by reading dozens of novels without a dictionary, one after another?

Ever since I bought a Sony eReader with its built-in translation dictionaries for the major West European languages, it has been my preferred reading medium, and I find myself looking up most of the unknown words I encounter when using it. I now reserve paper books for extensive reading and use the eReader for reading with a dictionary.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version