13 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4634 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 13
21 February 2012 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
I am using Memrise to learn characters but when it shows me one, I seem to remember the English meaning for it, but can't always remeber the pinyin meaning.

Is it better to only learn one and if so, which one should I focus on, Or should I be trying to learn both?
1 person has voted this message useful

SueK
Groupie
United States
Joined 4685 days ago

77 posts - 133 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 13
23 February 2012 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
I have the same issue! I recognize the character, know what it means and struggle to come up with a Chinese pronunciation.

For me, I don't see not learning the pinyin as an option. I need it now to ask questions on the web, and to my understanding, later to write hanzi on the web through software that translates from pinyin (could be wrong, no personal experience there yet)

Not learning the English seems like it would rather defeat the whole point to me. I suppose you could learn the entirely in Chinese and hope meaning eventually comes from other sources, but it sounds pretty hit or miss to me.

Right now, I just live with the fact that I do very well English to Hanzi and back, not too bad if it gives me pinyin options and completely fall apart if wants me to type pinyin. It'll come sooner or later.

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4634 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 3 of 13
23 February 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Yeah that's what I am like right now. I want to learn it all like yourself but my mind goes blank as soon as it ask's me to write pinyin.

I suppose we just have to keep at it and hope it sinks in eventually.

What do you use to help you learn the Characters?

SueK
Groupie
United States
Joined 4685 days ago

77 posts - 133 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 13
23 February 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm strictly using memrise for characters. It seems to work for me, I don't know if it'll take me all the way to be literate or not, but for now, it's enough.

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4634 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 5 of 13
23 February 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Yeah for now that is all i am using. I don't know what books or other programmes are good but I like memrise for now.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5181 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 6 of 13
27 February 2012 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
I think Memrise looks like pretty fun way to remember characters. Are the characters
you are learning words that you already know how to use in context?

The way that I am learning characters right now is by simply writing out the assimil
lesson by hand, going to yellowbridge.com for stroke order and also converting the
characters to traditional characters. I'm only on lesson 17 as far as writing, but on
lesson 94 of passive phase reading/listening. This way I'm learning simplified,
traditional, learning words I know how to use and thus am getting closer to being able
to write anything that I can speak, and also getting a 3rd wave of review. Any new
characters I encounter I write about 10-15 times at first, and then everyday rewrite
the dialogue until I remember all the characters. Any characters I forget, I'll
individual write another 10 or so times. I also speak the words as I'm writing them.
Doing it this way takes me about 3-4 days per Assimil lesson.

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4605 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 7 of 13
27 February 2012 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Learning characters out of context is hard. Everybody has to learn characters in context, but IMO most westerners will learn to read faster if they
also learn the characters out of context. To quote many other learners, it's a long short cut. But what should you do out of context? IMO, the bare
minimum - given an English keyword, you should be able to write the character. This is the fastest, easiest way to get the out of context studying
out of the way. Then learning in context will take care of everything else, and it will be much smoother because you learned the characters out of
context too. I did this to learn the kanji using RTK1. For hanzi, when I come across a character I didn't learn in Japanese, I just use the same
mnemonic technique in RTK1, and I'm finished.

So I don't know how your program works, but if it's isolated study of characters, I recommend limiting it to what I stated above. That way you don't
need to remember as much, and you'll pick it up later when you start studying in context. If it's learning everything in context, I recommend limiting
the amount of material and mastering it before you move on. Maybe just work on one sentence until everything is memorized before you move onto
another, etc.

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 5125 days ago

245 posts - 422 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 8 of 13
28 February 2012 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
I think that just looking at characters on the screen or using a mnemonic device crutch is not enough to really internalize the character, its pronunciation, and meaning. For me the best way to learn the characters was to write them repeatedly, much akin to Iversen's word list approach. In your case you'll need to be writing them once as characters and then with the pinyin.

Also, if you want to have fun, buy some of those children's Chinese character workbooks that are supposed to be filled in using a paint brush and ink. Holding and use of the brush may require demonstration by a native Chinese speaker. But this will really help with ingraining the individual strokes that form each character. Each type of stroke has its own name.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version