United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4823 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 4
24 February 2012 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone have good recommendations for foreign-language dictionaries for the eReaders? Or do you know of any to avoid?

I downloaded the Merriam-Webster French-English dictionary, and it is a fantastic tool with one fatal flaw: it does not recognize contractions. e.g.: the dictionary will recognize a word like "argent," but not "l'argent." I haven't found a way around this.
1 person has voted this message useful

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6228 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 2 of 4
25 February 2012 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
I downloaded an App called iReaderStudy a while back for the iPad. I don't know what other platforms it is available on.

It has built in dictionaries for a number of languages. Seems OK but for some reason I don't use it much. (Probably too much time surfing this site or Wikipedia.)

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4795 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 4
25 February 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
The Marriam Webster dictionary for my kindle touch works great in German. I'd say it's
one flaw is that it's quite bad at compound words (which is pretty often) but most of the
time you can figure those out based on the context and the basic nature of the German
language.

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6198 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 4 of 4
26 February 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
I have a dictionary for Italian and two for Latin on my kindle and all three work perfectly. You might want to do
a google search for kindle dictionaries since this was how I found the Lewis and Short Latin dictionary. It
came as a .prc file on someones website and I side-loaded it. Hope you are able to find one that works better
for French.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version